DieselBound

Frozen headlight adjuster in Gen2

I'm in the process of doing the sport conversion in my truck and one of the headlight adjusters for the passenger side (have not installed the assembly yet) is frozen, rusted.  I got it used and didn't think it was going to be an issue.  Brushed at some of the rust and have a couple of days of it soaking with PB Blaster but it's not budging.  I've tapped on the adjuster a bit, but this is a bit tenuous with the assembly sitting on the table top, and, of course, the plastic.   I'm unable to find anything on the Internet about dealing with something like this, rusted metal in plastic.  The star bit head doesn't allow for a lot of torquing on.  I want to get this project done and would prefer to not have to track down another assembly bracket/mount just because of one measly adjuster.

You started with the right stuff as far as I'm concerned. If there was a way to ultrasonic vibrate it, that would help but I don't know of a way to do that without harming the plastic.

I'm thinking that I'll try giving a shot at double-nutting it (which.will.allow.me to get a.wrench on it).  Not sure if I can do this on the tail end; if not then I'll cut off the head and do it on that end.

Got this part off of eBay.  Must have been from the rust belt!  In the future I will make sure to pay closer attention to where stuff is coming from.

Got the sucker!

Couldn't get nuts on the tail end, in which case I had to work on the head end.  Before cutting the head off I figured I'd give.a shot with vise grips.  That proved to be the winning ticket.  Initially moving like hundredths of an inch.  Took a ton of patience.  Once extracted got it cleaned up and assembled.  Project now finished except aiming.

• Like 3