HOSS

Ultimate Callout Challenge

Have any of you been following it?

I think they need to change the name to the ultimate Carnage Challenge! Holy crap there have been some serious destruction going on! I don't do Facebook but Mark Smith says they have some videos on Alligators Facebook page. The White truck that had a runaway on the Dyno is being rebuilt for tomorrow. Watch the video and you won't believe they will ever get it running again!

I saw a couple videos on Instagram but I am not sure if I can share them

Have any of you been following it?
I think they need to change the name to the ultimate Carnage Challenge! Holy crap there have been some serious destruction going on! I don't do Facebook but Mark Smith says they have some videos on Alligators Facebook page. The White truck that had a runaway on the Dyno is being rebuilt for tomorrow. Watch the video and you won't believe they will ever get it running again!

Yup interesting to say the least.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

That diesel drag racing and power building will never catch on.

Thats what I heard way back around 1996.

There are a few folks on here that probably heard the same thing hey Dave? lol 

That diesel drag racing and power building will never catch on.

Thats what I heard way back around 1996.

There are a few folks on here that probably heard the same thing hey Dave? lol 
I remember my first time going to BD Diesel back when Piers and Bill both still worked there. I had just bought my 1993 Ram and coming home and seeing Randy at Randy's Off Road and telling him he needs to get into this diesel stuff. He told me there was no money in it and he didn't have time to mess with it because the jeeps had him way too busy
  • Haha 1

• Like 1

Crazy power!

I had been watching the live feed and texting with Mark Smith. There is some pretty serious carnage this year for sure. Firepunk set the bar pretty high and a lot of Guys are giving it everything they got. I think Derek Rose is going to take it this year. If he gets a decent pull this afternoon, he’s got it for sure. He also pulled a 5.44 in the 1/8th and 25xx hp on the Dyno. They have worked really hard for that. Good job Guys!

They seriously need to work on their safety. Nothing like that ever happened at any of my events, but the performance difference is like Pro Stock to Top Fuel. I was told Lavon ran with no door and a fire suit on the dyno, smart man.

5 minutes ago, GTroyer said:

Pat what portion of the event are you referring to as to safety ?

He’s talking about the dyno. They had a turbo blow on a truck and cause a run away. It caught fire and almost burned to the ground. They had a couple of small fire extinguishers there but it took a while to get a truck onsite to deal with it. I was amazed they didn’t have someone up on the platform when they made the pull.

I’ll bet they have a truck parked there now. It was really scary how big the fire got and how fast. I wouldn’t get in that truck without a fire suit again after that.

He’s talking about the dyno. They had a turbo blow on a truck and cause a run away. It caught fire and almost burned to the ground. They had a couple of small fire extinguishers there but it took a while to get a truck onsite to deal with it. I was amazed they didn’t have someone up on the platform when they made the pull.

I’ll bet they have a truck parked there now. It was really scary how big the fire got and how fast. I wouldn’t get in that truck without a fire suit again after that.
Dyno event is done. Sled pulling as I type this.

Would seam to me , the team /owner /rules committee would have a mandatory fire suppression and flap valve on anything above xxx horsepower where the likeliness is many times greater than low HP trucks  something like above 600 or what ever makes sense these days 
i mean heck they already have a ton of $$$ in it so to me only make logical sense BUT hey that’s one mans “opinion” lol
Truck had a air shutdown but when the turbo let go, it broke the intake piping.

Crazy HP, so much $$$$$

3 hours ago, GTroyer said:

Would seam to me , the team /owner /rules committee would have a mandatory fire suppression and flap valve on anything above xxx horsepower where the likeliness is many times greater than low HP trucks  something like above 600 or what ever makes sense these days 

i mean heck they already have a ton of $$$ in it so to me only make logical sense BUT hey that’s one mans “opinion” lol

Air shutoff - mandatory

Fire extinguishers - double the amount they have ever needed. There are literally two huge ass extinguishers at every corner of the dyno as well as one at the dyno operators feet. 

Driver was in fire suit, gloves, and full harness. He did NOT have his helmet on and is pissed he was negligent for this pass. 

Bottom line is this event is as safe as we can possibly make it. Terrible crap happens. The driver was not hurt. That is what is important. 

As for the truck. Turbo let loose and grenaded. On the way out it knocked a big ass hole into the piping, taking a fuel line with it. Now you have two more chargers helping push unmetered fuel into

the engine and no POSSIBLE way to shut it down. The hole was a few inches from intake plenum. 

Tell me how you would have prevented it?  It’s easy to say ‘They should have’. I don’t care how much you try, there are going to be instances that overwhelm the most active imaginations. 

These guys have been the absolute best of the best sportsmen. I’ve been very close to

this event for the 4 years it’s been happening. They are by far the most safety conscious I’ve ever been around.  To set back and say ‘They should make ‘xxx’ mandatory is quite frankly insulting. 

• Like 2

Mark Alligator Diesel puts on a great event! I think it shows how concerned they are about safety that the drags are now 1/8th just because of how crazy fast these guys are for the weight of the trucks and rather than chance a very high speed catastrophic failure they choose to go 1/8th mile and make things safer.
Hell NHRA has horrible explosions all the time it's the nature of the beast at this level, the best a guy can do is plan for the worst and hope for the best.
What blows me away is those guys tore that truck down and rebuilt it and pulled it today! Absolutely amazing!!!!

• Like 1

Amazing the power and level of competition 😮 I remember the second gens and guys trying to hit 1000 hp on diesel only what a difference 20 years makes. My hat goes off to anyone putting of the money to promote and compete at these levels good show guys. 

Yeah, i was happy at 630 wheel hp...now its tripple that. Insane.

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 3:01 PM, marksmith said:

Air shutoff - mandatory

Fire extinguishers - double the amount they have ever needed. There are literally two huge ass extinguishers at every corner of the dyno as well as one at the dyno operators feet. 

Driver was in fire suit, gloves, and full harness. He did NOT have his helmet on and is pissed he was negligent for this pass. 

Bottom line is this event is as safe as we can possibly make it. Terrible crap happens. The driver was not hurt. That is what is important. 

As for the truck. Turbo let loose and grenaded. On the way out it knocked a big ass hole into the piping, taking a fuel line with it. Now you have two more chargers helping push unmetered fuel into

the engine and no POSSIBLE way to shut it down. The hole was a few inches from intake plenum. 

Tell me how you would have prevented it?  It’s easy to say ‘They should have’. I don’t care how much you try, there are going to be instances that overwhelm the most active imaginations. 

These guys have been the absolute best of the best sportsmen. I’ve been very close to

this event for the 4 years it’s been happening. They are by far the most safety conscious I’ve ever been around.  To set back and say ‘They should make ‘xxx’ mandatory is quite frankly insulting. 

There is always room for improvement.. These rigs should have fire suppression mandatory, there needs to be a more robust air shutoff system closer to the intake that cannot be taken out by a failed turbo, there should never have been anyone ON the dyno shooting video with their phones, too many people too close to the dyno pulls... 

How is it insulting when someone makes a suggestion? Shame on you for saying that to Gary. The video doesn't lie and there was far too long before ANYONE got to the rig with a fire extinguisher and it was WAY too small, you can have 50 of them there but if no one is using it then what good are they. You aren't the only one who has been doing this, sure some of us have been away for awhile, but that doesn't mean we don't know anything. 

It is interesting to me the chain of events that happened to cause the run away. Could it have been prevented? After the fact, sure. That’s easy thanks to hind sight. But before the fact, I’m not so sure. The firewall did its job. The driver was wearing a fire suit. It all worked pretty well as everyone walked away unhurt.

The interesting thing to me is, the intake got blown off right at the intake of the cylinders (atleast very close) no air shut off was going to be effective. It ruptured the high pressure fuel lines and shorted the CP3’s, making them go to full delivery. The flame you see around the truck is atomized fuel burning. Since the fuel was getting atomized in the air before going into the intake, the engine was running pretty efficiently. Amazing it had so ugh power to drive through the brakes with no turbo. I’m thinking a mechanical fuel cut off would help at the fuel cell. Similar to what drag racers have.

I was involved with the rebuild of a 220mm bore inline 8 cylinder engine that ran away much the same way (except it still had its turbo working until it exploded). It is amazing how well the engine will run off fuel spray.