Amazon has them. Gopher Killer

Gopher Hawk

I now own two of them, and have deployed them in several locations. Still nothing, but my yard looks like a war zone. 

After early success I have not been able to catch another. The ground is too hard or the tunnel to shallow. I found a  spot tonight and I will see in the AM. 

I have found the fresher the tunnel the better your chances of success. I also probe for the tunnel then open up the hole and take the probe and clear the dirt away so I can actually see the tunnel and make sure I am setting the trap against the bottom of the hole. This has worked well for me so far. 

• Like 1

If the tunnel is very shallow and the trap wont stand up take a piece of plywood about 6"x6" or whatever size you want really and drill a hole in it the same size as the Gopher Hawk and use it as a base to support it so it wont fall and you can set it in shallow or very soft ground. 

• Like 1

Is this in the members only area?

if I was a Mole and had internet I’d be sharing this thread.

• Haha 1

Sounds good Mark I will give it  a try.

10 hours ago, HOSS said:

I have found the fresher the tunnel the better your chances of success. I also probe for the tunnel then open up the hole and take the probe and clear the dirt away so I can actually see the tunnel and make sure I am setting the trap against the bottom of the hole. This has worked well for me so far. 

So are you putting it in the mound or in the tunnel away from the mound?

I haven't caught another mole since the first but there are no new mounds in the area I caught it either.  I've relocated to an area I found some fresh"er" mounds but nothing yet.  I've been probing and finding the tunnel just way from the mound and setting it there to avoid the 10-12" of loose dirt.

I always probe for the tunnel away from the mound. I just got my first one in a few weeks today. Terry found some new mounds around her garden. I found a fresh mound and probed around it until I found the tunnel and then I opened up a hole into the tunnel and used the probe to open up the tunnel and see where the bottom was, then I put the Gopher Hawk in the bottom of the tunnel and set it. That was yesterday and we got home today and it was yellow! Success!!!

I finally got one! I have 2 traps set. The 1 that produced has been set in the same spot for 18 days. 

:ThumbsUP:

I had a slow week while it was dry last week too.  My daughter said we killed all the dumb ones and have just the smart ones left. :right:  Same thing, I brush the mound off and put my hands in the hole to find out which way it goes.  Then I put the probe in there to see what it is.  Even though the mound looks the same, a lot of them don't go more than 8" and then stop, or it hits a root where they are eating all the stuff off of it and don't go any further.  I've never caught one in those spots. 

The holes that go two directions are where I have success.  Still make sure you open the hole up and leave it open then probe around for the tunnel.  Then stick the spade in about 6" from the tunnel and make sure the probe through the hole touches the spade in the tunnel so that you know you are in the middle of the tunnel.  Also spade down about 1" past the bottom of the tunnel so that when you set it the bottom of the basket is below the tunnel.  Also clock the basket so you don't set two of the wires right in the middle of the tunnel.  The moles can't see well so they won't even notice it if the wires are out of the way.  If it was a fresh mound and the end was opened it'll catch them in a few hours when they try to go back and close the holes.  They are territorial so once you catch one you have to go to a whole different area to get another.  Mine seem to each have their own set of roots.  The ones that were in the middle of the field away from the trees and bushes it turns out my locust trees had a mile long rhizome going through there that they were after.  Broke that apart with the ripper and hopefully will keep future moles out of there.

I lost track but I swear we are in our 20's now.  Just pulled two fat ones out yesterday too!

• Like 1

I use these but not sure they are available anymore and the one Hoss shows looks like maybe easier to use. I have caught doubles with these but not lately as I only have a few moles a year now. They are half barrel traps from Scotland. The couple that trapped moles at the Peace Arch park sold them back before the law against traps.

IMG_2407.JPG

IMG_2408.JPG

IMG_2409.JPG

IMG_2410.JPG

Edited by rubystargoats

I use these but not sure they are available anymore and the one Hoss shows looks like maybe easier to use. I have caught doubles with these but not lately as I only have a few moles a year now. They are half barrel traps from Scotland. The couple that trapped moles at the Peace Arch park sold them back before the law against traps.
IMG_2407.JPG.0156b3c80efcbbd357cdacc658772647.JPG
IMG_2408.JPG.046c0d6f33fc09c20476c307022a6409.JPG
IMG_2409.JPG.fed61ffbb29a9e7f275b15060470fdca.JPG
IMG_2410.JPG.981af1d78e045fc3ef430106f643a944.JPG

bb5cd562a01c8a5834bec0fbc105b485.jpg
Looks like they still make them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And they are cheaper now  I think they were $15 when I bought them 20 years ago.