Woodenhead

Bottom painting another boat

I’ll probably regret taking this on but it’ll be good for a few $$ towards my boating season.

This is my old Rinker that I sold to my good buddy. He moors next to me and is also tired of scrubbing scuzz off the bottom in the fall. Soo, it’ll get the same treatment as mine which seems to be working well. A few coats of Interlux Interprotect 200e, then a few more coats of VC17.

Getting it off the trailer wasn’t nearly as dicey as mine was. The beam with the slings worked well, just had to saw down the jack stands a bit.

587ac1cb72ca3cfbfe227b046f40cfd0.jpg

b3c0515c9addc6d0f532a83ece32609a.jpg

f2b15a857d82a2f2aeb0afb83c26576d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I’ll probably regret taking this on but it’ll be good for a few $$ towards my boating season.

This is my old Rinker that I sold to my good buddy. He moors next to me and is also tired of scrubbing scuzz off the bottom in the fall. Soo, it’ll get the same treatment as mine which seems to be working well. A few coats of Interlux Interprotect 200e, then a few more coats of VC17.

Getting it off the trailer wasn’t nearly as dicey as mine was. The beam with the slings worked well, just had to saw down the jack stands a bit.

587ac1cb72ca3cfbfe227b046f40cfd0.jpg

b3c0515c9addc6d0f532a83ece32609a.jpg

f2b15a857d82a2f2aeb0afb83c26576d.jpg

That will be a fun project. Did that for extra cash in high school.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

That will be a fun project. Did that for extra cash in high school.

I did my boat a few years ago. It was a learning experience but satisfying when it was done.
http://www.nwbombers.com/forums/topic/51882-painting-my-hull/?tab=comments#comment-607319

I’m probably not charging him enough to do this but it should be a lot less work than mine was.

It’s getting crowded in here

cd7a6cead99dbb9a363fdc8e6159a105.jpg

I did my boat a few years ago. It was a learning experience but satisfying when it was done.
http://www.nwbombers.com/forums/topic/51882-painting-my-hull/?tab=comments#comment-607319

I’m probably not charging him enough to do this but it should be a lot less work than mine was.

It’s getting crowded in here

cd7a6cead99dbb9a363fdc8e6159a105.jpg

Holy cow your boat is no joke. The "project" boat looks like a mid 20s length and your boat makes it look very small.

10 minutes ago, srt6 said:

Holy cow your boat is no joke. The "project" boat looks like a mid 20s length and your boat makes it look very small.

You are correct. The project boat is a Rinker 230 Festiva. Was pretty simple to pull off the trailer. 

Loose Cruise is a Regal Commodore 277XL, it’s 31’ OAL pulpit to swim deck, the hull is 28’. Was pretty spooky taking it off and on the trailer. I never want to do that again. 

That other boat is going to be cake for you to do compared to your boat.

• Like 1

Got a good jump on it today. Scrubbed the bottom with scotchbrite and fiberglass surface prep/wax remover and washed it. Sanded with 80g, vacuumed, wiped with solvent. Even got the first coat of barrier paint on. It’ll get the second coat tomorrow then on to the anti foul. Probably gonna feel this later.

cd11f591bb0daf866cd419a65348c595.jpg

703b0a52b2c61f67d1e3dbd42369956f.jpg

• Like 1

Nice work! I did this to the stalker the boat that Dave Conrad bought. A lot of work but worth the effort. 

Your neighbor will be happy and thank you for the reminder of why I will NOT sell my 02 to a friend or neighbor! 

I do not want to be the maintenance guy!!!!!!!!!:hit:

1 hour ago, HOSS said:

Nice work! I did this to the stalker the boat that Dave Conrad bought. A lot of work but worth the effort. 

Your neighbor will be happy and thank you for the reminder of why I will NOT sell my 02 to a friend or neighbor! 

I do not want to be the maintenance guy!!!!!!!!!:hit:

I hear ya there, I cringe at the though of selling something to someone I know. I’ve taught him to do all his own motor and drive maintenance and let him do it in the shop. He’s not setup to do this stuff but I’m certainly not doing it for free. 

Got a good jump on it today. Scrubbed the bottom with scotchbrite and fiberglass surface prep/wax remover and washed it. Sanded with 80g, vacuumed, wiped with solvent. Even got the first coat of barrier paint on. It’ll get the second coat tomorrow then on to the anti foul. Probably gonna feel this later.

cd11f591bb0daf866cd419a65348c595.jpg

703b0a52b2c61f67d1e3dbd42369956f.jpg

Looks great!!! We used office chairs really low with the back rests leaned back. It really made the bottom process alot easier.
You're like a pro now.

3 minutes ago, srt6 said:

Looks great!!! We used office chairs really low with the back rests leaned back. It really made the bottom process alot easier.
You're like a pro now.

Yeah, this is all getting done from a creeper, I like that office chair plan but it’s too much work to get it up higher.

• Like 1