Hoss , what gear set do you have ? 

Heck even the ## is better than my old dog , I see 15.5-16.5 ( 16 . 5 not much these days ) 

and now days the truck gets used mostly when towing so reality is 9-10 mpg 

Vaughn the newer 68’ trannies are not to bad as far as everything I have read .. gearing was improved greatly , I do not know what year they started using that tranny so no help there

I ran a 68 in an 07 for 780,000 miles

with well over 500K miles running on SW3 in a Smarty. Never touched that trans other than 60K miles fluid and filters. And never flushed it ever. Vaughn, you were in that truck. Long bed Mega.

The 12 I had bought used had wonky shifting and I sold it after a year.  No issues just had an offer that was good.

The 16 had sort of a failure due to trans cooler leak. 

I’m ok with the 68. Have not driven or owned an Aisin only because it hasn’t been available when needing a truck. Dealers were sold out.

Not sure I’ll own another diesel but I’d be ok with either auto. No more manual trans 19 and newer.

I did hear thru the MOPAR folks that an 8spd auto is coming for the diesels

Its supposed to be available now for the gas HD 19’s.

Edited by Scotty_
  • Like 1

Hoss , what gear set do you have ? 

Heck even the ## is better than my old dog , I see 15.5-16.5 ( 16 . 5 not much these days ) 
and now days the truck gets used mostly when towing so reality is 9-10 mpg 

Vaughn the newer 68’ trannies are not to bad as far as everything I have read .. gearing was improved greatly , I do not know what year they started using that tranny so no help there
The 2014 Cummins powered Ram's with Aisin transmission only came on 3.42 gear ratio

Ok the 2014 Ram 3500 SRW 4x4 Cummins equipped Aisin transmission Laramie with heated and cooled seats power rear window built on Monday morning had 3.42 gears.

• Haha 1

On 5/4/2019 at 6:09 AM, HOSS said:

Are you serious? If so I need to drive your truck! 

I have never felt a 2nd gen that drives anywhere near as smoothly as a 4th gen! 

Now my knowledge of 4th gens comes from a 2018 and my 2014 only so I don't know what the earlier trucks handle like I know they made big upgrades to the front suspension in the 2014 trucks. I had always stayed away from driving newer trucks because I didn't want to know how bad my 02 was. Ben would drive it and ask me how I can stand this thing. 

I drove Mark Smiths new truck hauling my 02 home and I was sold! Even pulling a 5th wheel with my old truck on it this truck handled better had smoother acceleration and the Aisin is a thing of beauty!!!!!!!!! I am/was a die hard manual truck guy until I towed with that thing. 

HOSS I should clarify, I can't speak of a 4th Gen's handling because I've only ridden briefly in a couple, but not driven them.

I was comparing my '98 2wd to a couple 3rd Gen 4x4s I've driven lately, they felt heavy and sloppy in comparison. 2nd Gen 4x2 have sharper steering and handling than a 2nd Gen 4x4, then I have the low profile 20s and BOSS shocks which helps quite a bit. And sitting a lot lower center of gravity is lower.  My truck tips the scales right at 6000 lbs, quite a bit lighter than 4x4s especially newer ones.

I would consider a 4th Gen if I could afford one :D

HOSS I should clarify, I can't speak of a 4th Gen's handling because I've only ridden briefly in a couple, but not driven them.

I was comparing my '98 2wd to a couple 3rd Gen 4x4s I've driven lately, they felt heavy and sloppy in comparison. 2nd Gen 4x2 have sharper steering and handling than a 2nd Gen 4x4, then I have the low profile 20s and BOSS shocks which helps quite a bit. And sitting a lot lower center of gravity is lower.  My truck tips the scales right at 6000 lbs, quite a bit lighter than 4x4s especially newer ones.

I would consider a 4th Gen if I could afford one
Roger that! I skipped the 3rd gen altogether and I have not driven many either. I always tried to not because I didn't want to know how much better they drove than my 02.
I drove Mark Smith's new 2018 to haul my truck home and it was game over! I knew there was no way I was not going to have one.

Vaughn I can send you over a smarty jr and sr to play with at no charge. If your brother wants to play around and no waste any money.

let me know if this helps. The junior may be all he needs and he can keep it.

bob

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Bob Wagner said:

Vaughn I can send you over a smarty jr and sr to play with at no charge. If your brother wants to play around and no waste any money.

bob

I know I like my Jr.!

13 hours ago, Bob Wagner said:

That would be great Bob!  I'll message you :)

On 5/4/2019 at 7:47 AM, Scotty_ said:

I ran a 68 in an 07 for 780,000 miles

with well over 500K miles running on SW3 in a Smarty. Never touched that trans other than 60K miles fluid and filters. And never flushed it ever. Vaughn, you were in that truck. Long bed Mega.

The 12 I had bought used had wonky shifting and I sold it after a year.  No issues just had an offer that was good.

The 16 had sort of a failure due to trans cooler leak. 

I’m ok with the 68. Have not driven or owned an Aisin only because it hasn’t been available when needing a truck. Dealers were sold out.

Not sure I’ll own another diesel but I’d be ok with either auto. No more manual trans 19 and newer.

I did hear thru the MOPAR folks that an 8spd auto is coming for the diesels

Its supposed to be available now for the gas HD 19’s.

Scotty how did you like the shifting of the 68? I have only driven one and the trans seemed soft and it sometimes seemed confused what gear to go into when modulating the throttle around town.  And it seemed like it shifted into double OD in town and pulled the RPM down to around 1100 at light throttle.  I am wondering if there's any options to firm up the trans a little without spending a lot or diving into it deep?  Maybe the one I drove had issues.

If I had a 68 that shifted well and had a tight TC I think I would be happy with it.  It would make finding the right truck a lot easier.

How have yours behaved in tow/haul mode? 

I use tow/haul and the exhaust brake all the time Vaughn. I noticed similar when in normal mode...mushy soft shifting. The transmission would shift up sooner and drop the RPM’s how you’re describing. The shifts are smooth and crisp in tow/haul. I would also manual shift with the paddle when I was in the hills or pulling heavy in traffic. Lock the trans in the gear that worked best.