HOSS

I got a recall notice for my truck

My guess easier to grab a gun or stick welder than have a magnetic drill or try to manually drill that nut and shaft = cheep fast and gets the Feds off their backs 😖

The dealer gets paid a lot less then normal shop rate for any recall work they do and they cannot do anything outside what the Chrysler God’s dictate.

my truck sale must have the recalls done before it can be admitted into the USA

• Like 1

No idea... One would think there r better options than welding it . Esspecially on a brand new truck.

2 hours ago, Abbyfireguy said:

No idea... One would think there r better options than welding it . Esspecially on a brand new truck.

This is exactly my point.  Welding it is a redneck way to fix an old chevy for the farm.  Not a way to correctly address and issue on a $60K truck.  Redesign the nut, the part, whatever it takes for a correct fix.  

I would hope if and when they redesign the nut they would also deem it proper to retrofit those trucks like mine that got the backyard hack repair..

Lots of assumptions here how this works.

If you don’t do a safety recall, then you don’t have the vehicle within specs. FMVSS and CMVSS don’t put out a safety recall for fun.

If your truck needs the recall (you don’t know this til they physically inspect it) then it must be done.

My dealer called me Thursday to tell me the ‘parts’ will be in on Tuesday. I doubt they are sending a welding stick or a torch as parts lol.

Might be best to sell these trucks and buy a bicycle. 

🙈🙊

Edited by Scotty_

After the hack job that was done on my 02 during a recall fix I will be using locktite on it and keeping an eye on it. 

I believe this is a much safer option for everyone than welding it. 

Like Dave said about the ground????? How easy would it be for them to do damage to the sensitive electrical systems if it was not grounded correctly of if they did not disconnect the batteries and sent current through the truck? I just don't trust them.  

The dealer I work for said there are parts and no welding so maybe the fix is different in the USA or the fix has changed.

The batteries were disconnected on my truck.I had to reprogram a couple of things ,but,not much. I stopped just short of using the f bomb at the dealership when describing my 

nervousness about them welding on my truck improperly and more than absolutely if at all.

The service manager was very attentive and agreed with my concerns. I seldom get that interaction at a dealership.

I even talked to the mechanic and frame tech that inspected my truck.

I think they were glad to see me go home...

This is an almost intolerable situation that has been thrust upon us and I hope it doesn’t come back to bite anyone in the ass.

But, we all know the way some guys weld the lazy way,protecting nothing and not grounding anything...

I am very selective who I let work on my vehicles. Fortunately I have one of the best CTD techs close by and also a really good 

and ethical VW tech that I have developed a good friendship with over the last 16 years!

I have welded on MANY vehicles. If I were doing some major structural stuff. I would disconnect the batteries. For this, I would have no issue putting the ground clamp on the nut directly and adding a very small tack. We weld next to very sensitive electronics at the power plant and at others all the time. Like Dave said, it’s all about where you put the ground clamp. Electricity follows the path of least resistance. Most electronics are shielded these days. I am much more concerned about flashing bearings. Cutting, or breaking a small surface tack is no issue at all. I do it all the time. Loc-time will work. But a small tack weld wouldn’t require any checking over time. Also there would not be enough heat to effect metallurgy of the components. Just my humble opinion. I would be doing it myself. No way I would let a dealer touch any truck of mine if I could avoid it.

3 hours ago, Torque Monkey said:

I have welded on MANY vehicles. If I were doing some major structural stuff. I would disconnect the batteries. For this, I would have no issue putting the ground clamp on the nut directly and adding a very small tack. We weld next to very sensitive electronics at the power plant and at others all the time. Like Dave said, it’s all about where you put the ground clamp. Electricity follows the path of least resistance. Most electronics are shielded these days. I am much more concerned about flashing bearings. Cutting, or breaking a small surface tack is no issue at all. I do it all the time. Loc-time will work. But a small tack weld wouldn’t require any checking over time. Also there would not be enough heat to effect metallurgy of the components. Just my humble opinion. I would be doing it myself. No way I would let a dealer touch any truck of mine if I could avoid it.

ditto, that and i would tig it

Had my new '18 in for its first oil change, and the they let me know about the recall (I hadn't received anything in the mail).  I didn't have the time to wait, so I told them I'd have to schedule a separate time, and they made me sign a paper saying I refused the recall at that time...  Its going back next week to get it done, more out of concern for the liability issue (insurance not covering if something were to happen).  Poor initial design apparently, stupid fix to the problem, and another couple hours wasted at the dealer.  I'll grill them on the repair and make sure they are qualified to do it right/carefully.  Lots of good info from folks in this thread!