BOMBER Board
Torque Monkey

Project “Queen Ranch” OBS F350

Today was a bad day... I got everything wired and mounted except one door speaker. I will deal with that later. I had the stereo powered up and was trying to figure out why it wasn’t loud. Long story short, I blew up the deck. Apparently If you go to loud on Pioneer radios it blows the amplifier out of the deck. Luckily she bought the Warranty with it so we will see what kind of mileage we get with that. If not then all the work I did today will be for free. Still a little sick about that.

I finished the AMP step install today as well. Everything works as it is supposed to but AMP made a change in the steps at some point and they stick out a lot further than they should.

481af9a63204816e7f0cd504cec8ed7f.jpg

006e1234852e0ba8cb2d738c04b63c9a.jpg

After a couple conversations with DJ it looks like there will be some new brackets being made to correct the problem. Just for the fun of it, I fabled up a couple plates that moved the steps in 1” and down just a hair. Made a huge improvement. DJ is going to mock the same part number steps in his shop next week and figure out the exact changes that need to be made.

This is with the 1” spacers.

1ab34251e40476f8d459a0245962b5c9.jpg

daf96d3a04fa230d2a41e791377f4b55.jpg

Some days it just doesn’t pay to get out of bed....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The new mirrors finally showed up. That means it’s time for these to go...

54e6b7fa7302b8cfb732ecd48c5ca989.jpg

Step one....

86e8f81d39d7301d1aa05a5c0b306e3b.jpg

Step two...

4efe2c86ff273a9807a990a9d0075f23.jpg

This kit has brackets inside the door that connect the inside panel to the outer under the mirror on each side.

a1d2889fe8098dd8270225f8bbabfb48.jpg

I just tacked the double wall plates in place and test fit the mirrors.

547e5e37e1b951e29b83864a409e448b.jpg

8d50a4bf32df450f26bd13752cba85be.jpg

Not bad....

• Like 1

What a huge improvement!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

No, the wing window will go right back where it was. It will be blocked a little bit, but not as much as you would think. It will still be able to open as it did before.

Also the new mirrors are power, heated, have turn signals and reverse lights built in. All of those functions will work once I am done. I need to find a time delay switch for the heated mirrors. I was thinking it would be nice to have them shut off after a given amount of time. That could be a bit of a challenge. I have done something similar with a 12V time delayed module. I am sure it will require something like that and a momentary switch to activate it.

I ordered the time delay relay I wanted from the UK today. Only place i could find exactly what I wanted. It turns on with a monetary 12V signal then shuts off by itself in 10 minutes. You can shut it off earlier by giving it another 12V signal (hit the switch again). Now I can't find a switch I am happy with. I may just put in a momentary button till I can source the switch i want.

I hoping to make everything function but also look factory.

• Like 1

Turns out they don’t have heated mirrors ( even though they have the little symbol), just running lights, turn signal and high powered LEDs. I will connect the LEDs to the cargo light off the head light switch. The rest of the wiring is pretty easy.

I don’t think they look to bad with the wing windows installed.

c0ec1ad16239096ab2046fba0c5587c6.jpg

c501c66cbfcbc7efff7b523d33cc0509.jpg

41fee57eb2e8d2dd882847103afdaca6.jpg

3997e72403c63c5b24ec305d36084aa6.jpg

For comparison...

02e70714dd4a44e42dc25815f2b199d9.jpg

Way better, also they pull straight out for towing.

They also break away very nicely instead of having the whole door implode.

• Like 1

I have to admit the first time I seen a set on one of those trucks I wasn't sure what to think. Then they started growing on me. I guess I got used to seeing that body style with either the littles or bigs for so long it was a bit of a shock to the eye, lol. Now I have to agree though, they look good.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, DRobinson said:

I have to admit the first time I seen a set on one of those trucks I wasn't sure what to think. Then they started growing on me. I guess I got used to seeing that body style with either the littles or bigs for so long it was a bit of a shock to the eye, lol. Now I have to agree though, they look good.

I didn’t really care for it when I first saw them. Then I tried moving one of the originals that was frozen in place and couldn’t be moved. They have been growing on me ever since.

I saw a guy bump a metro bus years ago with the old style towing mirrors. It caved in the door and broke all the glass. Ever since then I don’t like the tripod looking mirrors.

I didn’t really care for it when I first saw them. Then I tried moving one of the originals that was frozen in place and couldn’t be moved. They have been growing on me ever since.

I saw a guy bump a metro bus years ago with the old style towing mirrors. It caved in the door and broke all the glass. Ever since then I don’t like the tripod looking mirrors.
Lol, that doesn't surprise me. A friend of mine nicked a garbage truck mirror with those ones on a narrow bridge many years ago. Garbage truck won, it buckled the pickups door, blew out the mirror glass and dented the mirror mount a little. He got very lucky and didn't blow out the door glass.

• Like 1

Looks great! You should put some bullet hole stickers around the old mirror holes. :right: 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SMOKN05 said:

Looks great! You should put some bullet hole stickers around the old mirror holes. :right: 

Its going straight from my shop to Profinish to get all of that fixed.

• Like 1

I started the wiring for the mirrors tonight. Didn’t really get to far but I have a plan.

9d9661bfa2a0e46474a10d1cd183621a.jpg

1b06cc9c10ea2b728fff9aca1d6d3690.jpg

6 hours ago, Torque Monkey said:

I started the wiring for the mirrors tonight. Didn’t really get to far but I have a plan.

9d9661bfa2a0e46474a10d1cd183621a.jpg

1b06cc9c10ea2b728fff9aca1d6d3690.jpg

That's going to be a quality wiring job right there! Hey Ben how much does it cost to get setup with those connectors and crimps? I would sure like to have sealed connections on my boat.

Hoss go get online a hard copy of a catalog from .. 

https://www.waytekwire.com/

this is a place you can find more wire products than most online sources at reasonable prices to boot 

I’ve used them many times and usually keep a on stock of many item from them. They Also have wire tools like the crumpers In Bens pic. 

Edited by GTroyer

3 hours ago, HOSS said:

That's going to be a quality wiring job right there! Hey Ben how much does it cost to get setup with those connectors and crimps? I would sure like to have sealed connections on my boat.

The crimping pliers I found on Amazon. The deutsch (sp?) plugs I found on EBay. They are a bit tricky to get the hang of. Gary might have the best solution with the link he shared. I had to do a lot of studying and buying stuff to get it right.

This is turning out awesome! Love custom work like this, it inspires me to try new things. My 97 needs clearance lights, and a ton of interior work. Has a messed up door hinge that i might consider fixing via welding after watching you play around.

Keep it up!

So.... I finally got to the bottom of what is going on with the AMP steps. DJ ordered ina set of the very same steps and had a customer bring in his OBS. As expected everything fit perfectly. DJ and I started comparing measurements last night (LMAO! I made my self laugh with that) and after a phone call to AMP's tech line I found out they sent the wrong parts in the box.

We ordered a 75113-01A kit

The box is marked with 75113-01A

The contents in the box are for a 75115-01A kit.

Amp's Tech support told me I have to deal with Amazon to resolve the issue because that is where we purchased it. I say, this is clearly an AMP issue since the parts we placed in the wrong box. He then tells me there is nothing AMP could do since I was putting them on a truck for which they weren't designed. That is when I called BS on the dude and said you have to be kidding right?

Amazon said, basically take the whole kit off and send it back... The Customer sent an Email to AMP. We are going to see if they can just send the proper hinges and we will send back the wrong one.

AMP's customer service is HORRIBLE.... I mean really bad.

I had the same issue with shocks Ben.

Got them off of Amazon...wrong shocks in the box. Amazon says its a Bilstein issue, Bilstein says its Amazon.

Sent the shocks back. Went elsewhere

Worst case... we order another set. Change the components that are wrong and set that kit back. Sucks to have that kind of money tied up in it but that is one option.

Currently we have sent an Email to AMP with pictures to prove the situation. We are hoping they will come to their senses. The lady I am doing the work for, is ready to get midevil on them so we will see...

Hello, yes I'd like to speak to your manager before I send your steps back for a full refund.