C Paul Go

2006 Jetta Brakes

Thursday I'm taking the car to Mike at Diesel Outfitters to look at the rear brakes.

From searching the parts sights you guys gave me here we need to figure out what size is back there.

I'm hoping to get a package deal on the parts. The car has 177K on it.

Focus will be on the back end first.

So complete brake kits is on the list.  Any suggestions on what to go with?

Shocks also.

Anything else well we're in there?

The plan later will be do the front end. I would normally do it first, but the rear brakes are shot.

Believe it or not, the rear brakes do most of the work on my VW.

These cars have a rear brake bias to avoid the nose diving. 

Its something like 60/40 rear bias! 

Get on the brakes hard on my car and the whole car squats.

Seems odd,but that’s how the Mark4 brakes are. Not sure about the Mark5 cars but likely the same.

I buy my brake kits from Cascade German(used to be Bora, in Gresham)

Edited by Abbyfireguy
  • Like 1

Cascade German has a killer deal on OEM brakes.  We picked up rotors, pads, and calipers for the front of Ivan's 2006 Golf for under $200.  They have even better deals on set of all 4.  This is not listed on their website... you have to call them.  They told us about it when we went in about a month ago to have a Malone tune installed.

I plan to call.   That is a screaming deal, but I'm wondering if I should upgrade.

I know these are not our trucks but doing the upgrade on the 2002 was such a huge difference.

Will I see such a dramatic change if I upgrade at the same time?

I'm really hoping it's a more you spend, the more you save type of deal.

If so, I will be ordering brake kits both ends.  Shocks, struts, any frontend parts or others that Mike finds.

Any opinions on shocks and struts brands? I will say that stuff on this car has lasted amazingly well.

The stuff Cascade German sells is great. I bought there Audi TT shocks and struts with all the control arm bushings all in a kit and it was dirt cheap.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Austin The DieselTech said:

My Beetle has Bilstien Touring struts and it hardly has any body roll in the corners.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

I remember putting those on your car, I liked how it drove.

• Like 1

I'll be calling today.

Mike took a look yesterday. The left rear is the bad one.

But I plan to call CascadeGerman today and order Brake Kits for Front and Rear.

Shocks and struts also.

Car steers good and rides well but I'm going to ask their recommendations to do at the same time. The car has 177K.

Front rotors are the 288mm

Rears at 256mm

Parts are on their way.  New brake kits front and rear. New struts and shocks.  Supporting parts for all. out the door for under 1000 bucks.

I didn't go stock but I didn't go crazy either. 

1 hour ago, carl20320 said:

What did you get for brakes?

Here is how it all went down, I was told to talk to Aaron only. So phone tag for 2 days.  Then we connect.

Says tell him about car, so I list whats done.  I say it's not a race car but I don't normally do just "stock"

He says give me a minute, whats your budget?  I say can we keep it under a grand?

He says just a second, I hear keys hitting in the background, lol.

He says 996 work?  I said everything we talked about in the email I sent?  Yep.

Sent my an email with what I got.  MK5 front 288mm Brake Kit w/ATE & Bosch,  Rear 256 w/ATE and Bosch (249), MK5 Bilstein HD with Strut mounts and bearings. (747)

We both laughed about the 747 as his uncle worked here on that program..

Here is how it all went down, I was told to talk to Aaron only. So phone tag for 2 days.  Then we connect.
Says tell him about car, so I list whats done.  I say it's not a race car but I don't normally do just "stock"

He says give me a minute, whats your budget?  I say can we keep it under a grand?

He says just a second, I hear keys hitting in the background, lol.

He says 996 work?  I said everything we talked about in the email I sent?  Yep.

Sent my an email with what I got.  MK5 front 288mm Brake Kit w/ATE & Bosch,  Rear 256 w/ATE and Bosch (249), MK5 Bilstein HD with Strut mounts and bearings. (747)
We both laughed about the 747 as his uncle worked here on that program..
I keep forgetting your 06 Jetta it's a mkv. Ivan's 06 golf it's a mkiv

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I don't know VW well enough, is the Golf always a year behind type of thing like Dodge with half ton vs Full sizes.

Don't know.  I just know it causes confusion at places that don't specialize in VWs.  Now IDparts.com, Cascade German, and a few like that have it all down.

• Like 1

Well there was a shipping snafoo which has delayed any updates here. Hopefully parts show up Monday.  And hopefully Mike can work me into the schedule quickly.

Security already gave me a ticket here at work.....  Maybe those guys would like to put a dually into the stalls over here!   Upside I won the argument that took place after it was issued...

Well Parts were at Diesel Outfitters Monday, I dropped the car off last night.  There were quite a few boxes but I didn't open any of them for pictures.

If Mike remembers or has time I'm sure he'll send me some.  Everytime I walk into the shop now, he's building a new Transmission.  Guess that was a good decision to start building them in house.

On 3/11/2019 at 5:23 AM, C Paul Go said:

Well there was a shipping snafoo which has delayed any updates here. Hopefully parts show up Monday.  And hopefully Mike can work me into the schedule quickly.

Security already gave me a ticket here at work.....  Maybe those guys would like to put a dually into the stalls over here!   Upside I won the argument that took place after it was issued...

I'm trying to get a rather large order shipped from Cascade German right now for a 2006 I have in the shop.  I struggle with their website, some stuff wasn't listed on their website (like the rad) but they assured me they sold them.  Seems when I call them they're always so busy with the current shipping rush that they don't have time to get the order together.  None the less they assured me they'd get it out the door on time to be here Friday, I'm losing confidence.

• Like 1

My issue was a drop shipping issue, they dropped it out of their Tacoma Warehouse. Turned out they didn't have it and assumed since Portland passed to them that they didn't have it.

So they called the Georgia warehouse to have it shipped... So Portland would have been closer after all.

This morning I realized I'm going to be holding Mike up from starting, the wheel lug nut lock key is in my pocket....Sent him a message I'll bring it by after work...   

1 hour ago, Woodenhead said:

I'm trying to get a rather large order shipped from Cascade German right now for a 2006 I have in the shop.  I struggle with their website, some stuff wasn't listed on their website (like the rad) but they assured me they sold them.  Seems when I call them they're always so busy with the current shipping rush that they don't have time to get the order together.  None the less they assured me they'd get it out the door on time to be here Friday, I'm losing confidence.

It is a 3 guy shop and Aaron (the owner) is out of town this week so I suspect they are a little overwhelmed.  They have a backdoor into VW parts and can get you any OEM VW part from what Aaron told me.  The OEM parts we have gotten from them were significantly less than getting it direct from VW or any other place we have found.  Ivan is going by tonight to pick up a full rear brake setup (Aaron knocked off about $80 of website price) and one of their last sets of OEM PD130 injectors they acquired from a special purchase.  The PD130 injectors were <2/3 the cost of the stock PD100 injectors.  Kind of made that a no brainer. Get this condo sold and it will be a stage II cam, timing belt setup, and suspension bushings with teh injectors going in at that time.

We will get all that taken care of well before him and I take our epic cross country road trip to get him to Daytona Beach in time for school to start.  Should have his car pretty much maintenance free (new tires go on Friday) other than oil changes and filters for the next 4 years of him in college.  He hopes to join Embry-Riddle's SEA Formula team so he hopes to have a decent shop to be able to work on his vehicle if necessary.

• Like 1

On 3/11/2019 at 5:23 AM, C Paul Go said:

Funny how that works, park in a way they don't like and get written up.  screw up parts, buy off stuff on the wrong orders, lose parts, etc. and all is good.  just DON"T park a little on one of the lines or stick out of your spot............................I love the place........ or at least I like the paycheck.

• Haha 1

Here's the parts I went with. 5324ad9491d21172273e97a03fb0ffb1.jpg47fdbe004beca35fcafe5dd7b325def2.jpg2ae41e5c6e66e193a9a9e1f9286c2ada.jpg7b1dde66163daf8fc731ae0dc996b426.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I got a message from Mike on Friday, guess the Jetta is getting a new RH wheel bearing also.

Car is ready, I'll pick it up today after work. Tuesday nights are busy for me.  Mike said he wants to drive it, I have no idea why as Sarah's car is way faster than mine... LOL