Lock

Fuel additive in the new trucks?

I tried to do a search but didn't find anything recent.  Do any of you with the newer trucks run fuel additives (like Diesel Kleen?).  I used to run the Power Service grey bottle all the time in my old 12 and 24V trucks, but wasn't sure if it helps, or messes up, the emissions systems on the new trucks?

I saw some article online that mentioned that Cummins now recommends their products...

On a side note, My sister and her husband have my old 2003 CTD, and they just had to have the tank cleaned due to algae and that truck is driven everyday as a commuter.  I assumed that a daily driven truck would never have issues with that, so now I'm thinking about my new Ram, and it will sit quite a bit in between trips.

That Algae was probably water from a stations fuel underground tanks that got pumped into their tank , not uncommon

good reason to fuel at high volume diesel sellers / truck stops

As to additives, I own old not new so no help

Edited by GTroyer

I just run Stanadyne every tank in the winter, though my truck gelled on me a month ago... at least that's what we assume it was. So now I am not so sure it helps for winter... 

Power Service now has an endorsement from Cummins on the bottle. Power service is readily available and seems to work I have never been gelled up. 

7 hours ago, kcv67 said:

Power Service now has an endorsement from Cummins on the bottle. Power service is readily available and seems to work I have never been gelled up. 

Isn't it Power service that has the winter formula in the white bottle while the "normal" formula is in the gray/silver bottle?

I always used Stanadyne when I added anything. I haven't used any additives in quite a while. Never in the Silver truck. I suppose I should. 

A 2001 I did a bunch of work on recently needed the in tank pump replaced and I was surprised to see the inside of the take spotless. This truck sits for long periods of time, I am talking is spent over a year without moving recently. and zero water in the filter canister and nothing but clean diesel in the tank. This truck has never had any additive of any kind used. 

I'm curious how your old truck was diagnosed to have algae in the tank??  

I could go on and on about fuel additives. I did a bunch of research into it when i was making biodiesel years ago. The conclusion I came to was that it was all useless. I didn't want to believe it so I researched it even further when I was at Holland America. There is absolutely no benefit of running fuel or oil additives. I will say that you will see a slight increase in fuel mileage as they put additives in to increase the Cetane in the fuel. This is what most people use to justify buying it. I would challenge anyone to do the math on what a bottle of additive costs and the amount of fuel they are saving. I can tell you the fuel is cheaper.

The calculations I ran we based on buying fuel by the ton... not by the gallon. We also looked at the algae problem. We had a big issue with life boats and tenders. Additives didn't really do much to resolve this. Keeping water out of the fuel did.

Fuel gelling.... most additives are really based on mineral oils. They keep fuel from gelling by thinning the diesel fuel out. In the process it reduces lubricity and causes wear on parts.

If you really think your fuel is gelling, pour some diesel into a mason jar and seal it. Place it outside and watch what happens. I have done this. I never saw diesel gell in the PNW. I have seen B100 gell but it took a long time of below 32*F temps to do it.

• Like 1

Agree with Ben on this. Addatives are a waste of money.

Anti gel is the only reason I use an additive. I used to travel thru different states/climates that offered #2 and rarely #1.

I found some Howes with #2 was a good thing after gelling a few times.

Winter blend fuel is also a lot higher price then what the cost of the amount of Howes or the white power service was.

I thought that since they switched to ultra low sulfur diesel that additives were recommended for lubricity. I remember the diesel community up in arms about how ultra low sulfur diesel was going to ruin all our injectors and pumps and destroy everything, end of world scenario. lol

What changed? Or did people just realize they were wrong? :lol: 

23 minutes ago, SMOKN05 said:

I thought that since they switched to ultra low sulfur diesel that additives were recommended for lubricity. I remember the diesel community up in arms about how ultra low sulfur diesel was going to ruin all our injectors and pumps and destroy everything, end of world scenario. lol

IMHO?  Technology.

First ULSD Fuels were dry as hell.  The additive packages have improved.  The materials and methods of manufacturing injectors have improved.

Now.... want to switch this topic to pickus with a VP?  I will change my tune. Run some additive with #2.  It makes me feel better about the VP44.  What makes me even happier than that, is some B5 blend.  Even better than that?  Positive fuel pressure and fuel temps that are in check.

Now..... where's that popcorn.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, marksmith said:

IMHO?  Technology.

First ULSD Fuels were dry as hell.  The additive packages have improved.  The materials and methods of manufacturing injectors have improved.

Now.... want to switch this topic to pickus with a VP?  I will change my tune. Run some additive with #2.  It makes me feel better about the VP44.  What makes me even happier than that, is some B5 blend.  Even better than that?  Positive fuel pressure and fuel temps that are in check.

Now..... where's that popcorn.

No fuel additive in the world is going to help you with heat cycles in the circuit board.🤣🤣🤣 🤷‍♂️

2 hours ago, SMOKN05 said:

We went through this with the large marine diesels. There was a huge push by the industry in all directions because ULSD was going to kill the fuel systems immediately. We braced for the worst.... nothing happened. It was really a myth.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Torque Monkey said:

... I never saw diesel gell in the PNW. I have seen B100 gell but it took a long time of below 32*F temps to do it.

I have seen #2 gel in PNW! It doesn't happen often, but when it did, our snowplows spent more time in the shop than on the road. As soon as the shop Superintendent bought winter blend the problem went away.❄❄❄

Personally,  I've never used an additive in my 2011. If it makes you feel better, use it despite the figures.🍺🍺🍺

On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 9:41 AM, C Paul Go said:

I'm curious how your old truck was diagnosed to have algae in the tank??  

My sister and brother in law had to renew the tabs and the truck failed the snap test twice.  They took it to the shop in Enumclaw that did all the work it back when I owned it.  They ended up pulling the tank and finding the screen in the tank clogged-full of the stuff apparently.  Had to clean it all out, replaced the pump, and left with a hefty bill, but a solid running truck again.

I'm pretty sure I know how they ended up there, and it was their own fault.

Thanks for all the input from everyone.  Good info as always!  Looks like I'll save some $ skipping the additives unless I end up somewhere where gelling may actually be an issue.