Ol Blue

5ver hitch for 6'4" bed?

Hi all. 

Is a slider hitch required to row a fifth wheel trailer with the shirt 6'4" need like on a mega cab or will a static located hitch work?

Depends on the nose of the fifth wheel Rob. 

If the the nose is rounded and hitch is out in front vs under you might get away with it as long as a person pays attention in tight quarters. Chad with alligator hauls his without using the slider and doesn’t get close to the cab. 

Personally, the slider style companion hitch isn’t that much more money and easily changes for those situations that arise. 

I think a slider hitch would be worth the money considering the amount of damage a cab into a fifth-wheel wheel can cause.

Slider is nice in pinch I used to tow an 80’s model 5 th wheel with my mega cab short bed didn’t have any issues I did mount the hitch back little and it worked 

I have this hitch on Industry Standard Rails.

It does not come out and leave a clean bed until I pull those rails, but the price was right.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/rvs/d/bothell-pullrite-16k-auto-slide-5th/6801022317.html

Another interesting feature of sliders in SWB trucks:

My hitch slides back 14" or so, and I can tell the difference in how the trailer swings. The farther back the pivot point goes, the more it acts like a bumper pull hitch, and the less you have to exaggerate your move with the truck to get things turning.

• Like 1