Sign in to follow this  
Abbyfireguy

Headliner out and sunroof leak fixed?

Well,after a long time of a leaking sunroof during heavy rains I finally decided to yank out the headliner and see if I could find and repair the source of the leak/leaks.

Saturday wasn’t too bad so the headliner came out and I got busy with my flashlight and glasses on(half blind old fart)!

The rear drains both were not sealed at all and the hoses had both shrunk marginally to the point you could see daylight between the drain hose and adapter that attaches to the sunroof drain channel.

The whole drain system on the sunroof is assembled with no sealant in my car? Silly German engineers.

I put the rear drain hoses and adapter back together after cleaning everything and using a good marine grade silicone sealant.

I did clear out the drain hose of any debris first and made sure the hose drained freely out the lower drain as it should.

The front drain hoses were cleared and I put sealer on them before I reinstalled them.

I also checked the entire sunroof structure for any obvious cracks and found none.

I will let everything dry out and make sure I got the source of the leak fixed before reinstalling the headliner.. The car interior  is pretty damp now.

OOOhhh yeah,  there's nothing quite like the smell of a damp interior.....:wacko:

A fan/heater in there helps clear out the wetness but doesn’t help the smell of it already got “that smell”  lol

used to have a small leak in a car that I plugged in a fan every day as I couldn’t find the leak .. it never got the coveted small lol

Those tubes are silicone, so any sealant that shrinks when it dries or that reacts to the silicone and makes it shrink or dry is going to put you right back to where it was.  Mine factory had two dabs of glue that hardened and caused the same daylighting situation and leak.  I pulled the tube out, cut that hardened end off, slid a short piece of stainless tube inside of it, slid it back into the sunroof fitting, then clamped it down with a spring clip (like a heater hose clip).  Leak free for two years.  Haven't put the headliner back in for 2 years either though.....☹️

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006NAU24/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1