Sign in to follow this  
livingez_123

Project EOS

Well I spent a few hours today getting the ignition lock and housing removed. One screw was a T8, the smallest I had was a T10...That's why they make drill bits!

Then to get the lock housing off of the column they use anti theft bolts, these are where the head snaps off when the right tq is reached and it leaves a smooth button head so it can't be easily removed to steal the car. Did some cleaning but it's so dirty I won't take a picture of it because I'm embarrassed to even be working on something so dirty!

I bought a screw driver a couple years ago that had the very small toes bits. I think it goes down to T6. I could swear I picked it up at Lowe’s. I don’t use it much, but when you need it. A drill bit is the only other option. LOL!

I bought an electronics repair kit at Radio Shack a few years back, it has a ton of those tiny little driver bits, very handy except when you have to go through each one to see if it fits lol. Can't wait to see the progress...

Harbor freight has a bit selecfion that includes those kinds of sizes, and has the security bits as well.  Price is very reasonable.  I buy one every year or so and spend the rest of the year losing the bits.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Suprmn said:

Harbor freight has a bit selecfion that includes those kinds of sizes, and has the security bits as well.  Price is very reasonable.  I buy one every year or so and spend the rest of the year losing the bits.

I plan on going there tomorrow!

Still cleaning, I got the trunk cleaned and one of the door jambs. Did more vacuuming, the carpet is coming around. 

Tomorrow I need to take some parts off the Beetle... decided to part it out and not spend any more money on it. The EOS has more power in stock form and I can easily bump it up to a Max of 360hp if my pocket book allows.

Well after today I now know why my Beetle was running so poorly. I was pulling the down pipe and cat to sell and when the pipe came apart lot of cat material came out of the resonator pipe. Then I looked into the cat and it was destroyed. So bad cat leaves lots of crap in the exhaust system causing too much back pressure and cooked exhaust valves. Oh well. Back to the EOS tomorrow, I will see if I can get the top end taken apart in the time I have. The camera is going with me.

Edited by livingez_123

I went and got my registration done on the car today, 2hrs at the DMV. I was lucky and parked just outside the door and I could see the now serving number sign. So I sat in the warm Denali and played with the dog and surfed the net.

Now to order some more that I needed proof of ownership. Tomorrow I'm going to the shop no matter how much snow is on the ground!

Well the head is almost off, I have pictures but they are to big to post. I'm waiting for a couple of specialty tools so I can finish taking this thing apart. I can say with 100% certainly that every intake valve is bent, I can see them all open looking into the ports. It hasn't been that tough of a job, the turbo manifold and some small fasteners in that are were a bit difficult to get to. The water pump design is like nothing I have ever seen on a VW, this thing is mounted towards the back of the block and is driven by a small cogged belt off the balance shaft. It's made out of plastic and is pron to cracking and failure. While I have it apart I will replace it with a new all aluminum unit. 

81cVQr42+ML._SX679_.jpg

Edited by livingez_123
  • Like 1

The chain guide was broken and allowed to much slack in the timing chain and the end result is 8 bent intake valves.

I will clean the head up and pull the intake valves and see if there is any damage to the head. Then I guess it will go to the machine shop and get surfaced and the new intake valves put in.

20190219_134150-800x600.jpg

20190219_134145-800x600.jpg

20190219_134258-800x600.jpg

20190219_134328-800x600.jpg

20190219_134321-800x600.jpg

Didn't get a lot done today. I cleaned up a few parts and smoothed out the top of the Pistons where the valves made contact with them, got rid of the Sharp edges. Ordered new valves the other day so as soon as they get in the head will go and get taken care of.

it nice to see your progress,   Good Luck .