C Paul Go

The end of last years list

So Last year I took My truck to Mike Boyd at Diesel outfitters with a budget and a list. 

During this work it was found that the front end of the truck needed some serious attention.

So somethings on the list got removed for that work to still be within the budget.

So this week I was able to address what wasn't done.  It got a new exhaust manifold, new turbo and new track bar. 

I know the turbo should be the exciting part but it wasn't for me..  Well it was there I asked Mike to install the 51" muffler I had for it, because since switching to the Diamond Eye 5" the truck had a droan that was awful to say the least.  

I picked up the truck last night and the sound is entirely different.  You can hear a deep sound as the turbo first begins to spin and then that's it. All the rest of the sound is clear back by the tailpipe. It was such a nice drive home.   I look forward to see what towing is like now. 

Mike said they found a coolant leak well it was there and it's fixed also.   I may have to drive it to work this weekend to see what it's like on the freeway.  

Only got a couple of shots real quick. As I got there at closing. 9842c20fe2f5e37ffd9184cab512674d.jpg0a97565612e4a0372167339b635ffe4a.jpga8df470675e22ade0a1fba39417c39f0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Would anyone like to purchase the old turbo and manifold. Worked fine. In good shape only removed for upgrades. Truck is a 2006.

The truck has it and a smaller one up front.   It is a night and day difference so far.

So last night I got to go drive the I-5 circuit in Stanwood.  This is a stretch that has been used by many for "Test and Tuning".

So I get on the On ramp heading South.  Give her the fuel.  EFI only on 2.  This is pretty much where the truck lives.   End of the off ramp 75 and climbing fast.  Temperature, 1000 degrees.

Hit the main line and let her keep going, saw 1200 for a second and then coming back down.   Speed 120.   Let her off.  

Figured that was enough.  But here is the biggest change, truck pretty much was no louder than a 2nd gen at idle the entire trip, No droan all the way through to.

This was my biggest complaint prior.  The truck with the boat and trailer between 65 and 70 had a droan and it sucked and would give me a head ache in no time.

Well I wasn't towing last night I'm guessing it staying that quite it's gone.

I drove to Mike's shop after and thanked him for doing those mufflers, what a difference!

• Like 1

Nice! These days I cringe every time I hear a straight piped truck.
The Rocket truck was another thing altogether I loved the sound of that thing!

Mark, as loud as my 2nd gen was with that 5" but with a muffler, it never had droan.   I had never been in a truck with droan until this one.

It drove me to want to pull out my own teeth and rip off my ears at end of a towing trip. 

I have no idea how anybody can do it. I can only imagine what straight pipe or even worse straight pipe and stacks are like.

I think the transmission likes the new turbo better also.  Don't think I had enough power there for all the set up before and shifts were banging at time. Now they are just firm.

I think I was on Cloud 9 When I got to Mike's shop...LOL

It was all I could talk about....

• Like 1

I remember having dual 5" with no muffler on my last 01. The first time I drove under a overpass on I5 I had to look around because I thought for sure I had a straight stacked tractor trailer right behind me. Turned out it was me :right:

A couple months later we took a trip to the east side towing. When I got back it went back to a single exit exhaust, with a 51" muffler and resonator :right:

• Like 1

21 hours ago, C Paul Go said:

Mark, as loud as my 2nd gen was with that 5" but with a muffler, it never had droan.   I had never been in a truck with droan until this one.

It drove me to want to pull out my own teeth and rip off my ears at end of a towing trip. 

I have no idea how anybody can do it. I can only imagine what straight pipe or even worse straight pipe and stacks are like.

LOL you must have never rode in the Monster rig It was horrific!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't how Scotts kids can still hear after riding in the back seat of that truck so much.

Mike did tell me I'm going to have to get an air intake for it, so i guess the list isn't done yet.

Just gut the stock unit like I did, I took the baffle out, drilled some holes in the bottom and it lets in plenty of air and still looks factory.... Best part is it was all free. Ben is the one who told me to do it this way.

With this new turbo it doesn't fit as well as it should so it will get a new one.

Pat how is your new turbo?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Good stuff Paul! I really miss the sound of my 02, never a drone and had numerous compliments about it! Dimond Eye 4" with a small "muffler". lol

14 hours ago, C Paul Go said:

With this new turbo it doesn't fit as well as it should so it will get a new one.

Pat how is your new turbo?

POW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Right in the Jimmy!!!!!!!!!!!:right:

• Haha 1

Well last night coming home from Snohomish on Highway 9 at Lake Stevens where at the light it goes to two lanes and then on the other side of the light about 1/4 mile it merges back down to 1 lane.  I'm at the front sitting at the red light, in the inside lane.  On comes a kid in his Civic in the LH lane. Reving his engine and letting me know he will be passing me through the merging lane.

Well I figure no time like the present, reach down and twist the CSP switch to 5 and wait. The light turns green and he jumps on it..... I wait just a second and then I let her at it.  OMG its been a long time since I drove something with over 400 hp.   All I can say is wow, it was dry, truck didn't spin tires. It just started hauling the mail!

I passed him in very short order.  Looked back in the mirror, some smoke but really not bad at all compared to the 2002. 

These moments make it all worth while...

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, C Paul Go said:

Well last night coming home from Snohomish on Highway 9 at Lake Stevens where at the light it goes to two lanes and then on the other side of the light about 1/4 mile it merges back down to 1 lane.  I'm at the front sitting at the red light, in the inside lane.  On comes a kid in his Civic in the LH lane. Reving his engine and letting me know he will be passing me through the merging lane.

Well I figure no time like the present, reach down and twist the CSP switch to 5 and wait. The light turns green and he jumps on it..... I wait just a second and then I let her at it.  OMG its been a long time since I drove something with over 400 hp.   All I can say is wow, it was dry, truck didn't spin tires. It just started hauling the mail!

I passed him in very short order.  Looked back in the mirror, some smoke but really not bad at all compared to the 2002. 

These moments make it all worth while...

:ThumbsUP::ThumbsUP:Two thumbs up!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hoss should I ask Pat if his turbo in yet? Or were you planning to ?