rubystargoats

Fuel milage not as good as hoped

First tank full. 472 miles and 12.4 gallons. 38 MPG    Still better than my Ford Contour but was hoping for something over 40.  Oh well at least it is fun to drive, I like shifting my own gears again.

2 minutes ago, Austin The DieselTech said:

Wait until winter fuel cycles out. I saw 3MPG loss when winter fuel came in.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Good point. 

My summer mileage is typically 47mpg, winter is 44-45, all at 65mph and 75mph with the cruise set with the exception of about 5% driving through town. 

Good point. 

My summer mileage is typically 47mpg, winter is 44-45, all at 65mph and 75mph with the cruise set with the exception of about 5% driving through town. 

That is what my mileage was/is also.

Well I drive like a 62 year old, how can that be bad for fuel economy...:burnout:.........  It is slower than I ride the BMW and not any harder than I drive the truck......when I drive it like the Firebird I get excessive understeer.......the front tires must be defective.....

.yeah summer fuel should help some.

Edited by rubystargoats

Get it out on the open road that number will jump.  I get over 40 in town and 50+ on trips.

Don’t know about the “new ones” but my 85 Golf non turbo model ( first year Golf) needed to be in mid to higher RPM band for best mileage NO LUGGING it or mileage suffered badly , used it to commute 150 miles a day to and from the mountains to valley about 4500 ft. Elevation . Ran like a striped Azz ape if it was again in upper RPM bands .. it died a sad death when I lent it to a woman who was down n out and needed transportation ( same type drive as mine) she lugged it and pulled the prechanbers out of two cylinders and a third was on it way out but didn’t make it. 

I averaged 42 mpg with that commute.

play with drive style and see what happens.

Edited by GTroyer

Fwiw, I used to get 47 or so on the highway and 44 mixed driving. Then I turned it up a whole lot:)

Now I'm happy to see 44 ever!

I do see 40 in the winter time with my crappy commute. This morning for example, I think I hit 10 lights in the 16 mile commute.

The power sweet spot seems to be from 2000 to 3500 RPM so it tends to live there.  

I don't do Any non-acceleration above 2200. I try and get it up to speed like a testosterone addled teenager, and get into whatever gear gets me 2000-ish.

Yup something like that until I am in 5th and then 2200 is pretty slow for some places and I am out of gears so runs a little higher.

Yup something like that until I am in 5th and then 2200 is pretty slow for some places and I am out of gears so runs a little higher.
You can swap the OD gear out on the 5SPD to a taller ratio.

My 06 Jetta gets between 38 and 43 mix of freeway and city of course I’m at 4500 ft elevation and typical freeway is 70 to 80 mph still better than anything else I’ve driven and it has power 

My 06 Jetta gets between 38 and 43 mix of freeway and city of course I’m at 4500 ft elevation and typical freeway is 70 to 80 mph still better than anything else I’ve driven and it has power 
That is not bad at all.

Something is seriously wrong. I reset the trip odometer on that car for every tank of fuel for the last 2 years. It consistently got 650-700 miles to a tank without trying. 400 miles to a tank is a huge red flag to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The tank vent check valve was gutted years ago. It does pretty good on a normal fill up. 12 gallons is pretty close. Most times I would get somewhere around 14 on a fill up. It might be winter blend(#1 diesel) but that still seems low to me. I would try getting fuel at another station next. Maybe your getting scammed by a dishonest fuel station?

Also, that car loves to be driven hard. I always have. I shift above 3000 rpm always. A lot of people say to keep the RPM’s below 2000 for good mileage. These are the people that don’t understand turbo charger efficiency...

On average that car will get 100 miles on the odometer before the fuel gauge even starts to move. After that it averaged 100 miles per 1/8 tank mark down to about 1/3 tank then it will start to drop fast. I am not exaggerating the mileage at all. It was something I watched very close.y for the last 10 years.

Of course a lot of my driving these days is above 55mph. Could have something to do with that. Even in Marysville I was seeing 45 mpg s commuting to Seattle for Holland America.

Bens description sounds exactly like mine, 650+ and around 14gal on a fill up.  I gutted my vent as well, I notice the filler shuts off at around 12gal and I need to run about 1/2 flow to get the last 2gal in while the air whistles out the vent line.  I typically fill up as soon as the light comes on because I get scared I'm gonna runout, I guess in theory I still have 2 more gallons.

Dan, if you've only done one tank so far I'd give it a couple more fill ups to average it out, a gallon or so either way makes a huge difference on such a small tank.   Download the fuelly app and start keeping track, this way you get a consistent comparison using odometer readings without having to remember to reset the trip meter.

I think the big thing everyone is missing is Dan is towing his boat 🚣 with this car.

pancakes all around

my job is done here.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, yogi_160 said:

I highly recommend Malone tuning.. Night and day difference

• Like 1

Yeah I fueled at a different station this time and yes also depending on the pump it can be hard to always top off the same every time.  And Scotty, it's not the boat..:huh:... it's the daughters livestock trailer for goats...:wacko:...I don't have the stupid state operators card to use the boat. :down: