Sign in to follow this  
jcasper

I acquired another truck

My Father-In-Law is getting rid of all his extra vehicles and equipment.     I purchased his 05 Ram 3500 for a dirt cheap price.   It has had a rough life as he isn't really easy on things but it only has 84,000 miles o nit and it's always been parked inside.   It will live the rest of it's life staying hooked to our horse trailer probably 80% of the time.   

Thinking that I should do something to prolong the life of the 48RE though.   What are your thoughts on this?    I thought maybe I'd take it to Source for a full service and see what they think of it.  It's that or just run it until it dies and then rebuild.     

Change the fluid and filter (unless you know when it was changed last)

Run it till it dies.

Rebuild.  Wash.  Rinse.  Repeat

1 hour ago, marksmith said:

Run it till it dies.

If motor is stock, this.

5 hours ago, marksmith said:

Run it till it dies.

I would agree with this and make sure to keep up the scheduled maintenance on it. Since your going to be towing with it all the time I would even consider shortening the time/miles between services.  

If your going to run an exhaust brake everything changes and verses being broke down on the side of the road with live stock. I'd have the transmission built for your needs. Use other peoples lessons to avoid being broke down.

If no exhaust brake do what Mark said, but if your adding the brake, build the trans for it.  Built trans and a billet input minimum.

30 minutes ago, C Paul Go said:

If no exhaust brake do what Mark said, but if your adding the brake, build the trans for it.  Built trans and a billet input minimum.

I agree with this.... Billet input, billet TC, better trans cooler... run it. Mishimoto has that new drop in trans cooler that doubles your cooling capacity and mounts in the stock location. I may sell my cooler and get one of these, or use the one I have for power steering cooler.

This truck won't go far from home without two trucks going.   The only time this truck will go more then 50 miles from home I will be following it with my truck and the fifth wheel.    I don't intend to dump a bunch of money in to a transmission on a truck I didn't really intend to buy.   It just kind of happened.    Engine is bone stock.   

I'll service the transmission and just see how it goes.     It has no exhaust brake and I won't be adding one to it.   My other two trucks have one and they do all the really heavy lifting around here.    

Edited by jcasper
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jcasper said:

This truck won't go far from home without two trucks going.   The only time this truck will go more then 50 miles from home I will be following it with my truck and the fifth wheel.    I don't intend to dump a bunch of money in to a transmission on a truck I didn't really intend to buy.   It just kind of happened.    Engine is bone stock.   

I'll service the transmission and just see how it goes.     It has no exhaust brake and I won't be adding one to it.   My other two trucks have one and they do all the really heavy lifting around here.    

If its tight and right doesn’t get hot or slip throw a single disc billet converter, shift kit , billet servo and strut service it regularly and enjoy the truck. I did this upgrade in my 97 really made it nice the guy who bought it sends me text telling me how much he loves it truck had 220k when I bought I put 30 k always towing in the mountains. Cost was around 1500 in parts (10 years ago) I did labor 

Joe, I think your going the right direction.  But Like we both know those exhaust brakes can break more than the trailer speed.  -_-