jcasper

Long drive tomorrow

I found a place in Caldwell Idaho that will take this lame mare that I bought last year.   They are going to use her as a broodmare.    Our vet recommended them and it will be good to give this horse a purpose.   

The owner of the facility then asked if I could haul 3 more that were in my area for a little extra money.   I said sure as long as their close to me.    I guess on the map Hillsboro Oregon and Renton Washington are close.   Haha.   

Snoqualmie pass weather looks ok tomorrow so with a little increase in what she wants to pay I guess I'll make my 415 mile drive be 675 now.   I'll overnight and come home Sunday.   

It actually sounds like a fun drive to me. Good luck and stay safe Joe.

10 minutes ago, Torque Monkey said:

It actually sounds like a fun drive to me. Good luck and stay safe Joe.

It should be, pass conditions look OK.    My wife and I are just going to make a weekend of it.    

• Like 1

As long as it’s clear over the passes a nice drive , safe travels Joe

Be EXTREAMLY CAREFUL on the pass. It's closed again today for accidents in both directions.  Their blaming ICE.   I personally would rather go over the pass in snow than Ice. I'd even choose standing Water over ICE.

Seen way too much happen on those roads in Ice.  After you get through the pass, watch for the hill in CleElum by the rest stop.  I can't tell you why but that spot gets icy and likes to throw people off the road and out on the hill side to the South..   Just remember slow, steady and if you get in trouble get off that brake pedal...

8 minutes ago, C Paul Go said:

Be EXTREAMLY CAREFUL on the pass. It's closed again today for accidents in both directions.  Their blaming ICE.   I personally would rather go over the pass in snow than Ice. I'd even choose standing Water over ICE.

Seen way too much happen on those roads in Ice.  After you get through the pass, watch for the hill in CleElum by the rest stop.  I can't tell you why but that spot gets icy and likes to throw people off the road and out on the hill side to the South..   Just remember slow, steady and if you get in trouble get off that brake pedal...

I just saw that it is closed.   When I get to Renton I'll look at the cameras and WSDOT site.   If it looks bad I'm just going to cruise back to Portland and go I-84.   It adds some seat time but the road will be clear and I can maintain 65-70 on those roads.   It's better to add an hour or two then get stuck in a mess on the pass.    

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jcasper said:

I just saw that it is closed.   When I get to Renton I'll look at the cameras and WSDOT site.   If it looks bad I'm just going to cruise back to Portland and go I-84.   It adds some seat time but the road will be clear and I can maintain 65-70 on those roads.   It's better to add an hour or two then get stuck in a mess on the pass.    

I think I’d do the 84 route regardless.

JMSO

If I was going over I'd offer you a stopping point, but I haven't done the pass all winter.  They are really cracking down on the chain thing and frankly I have never once needed to chain crossing that pass.  But others have caused the huge crack down on chains required. 

2 minutes ago, C Paul Go said:

If I was going over I'd offer you a stopping point, but I haven't done the pass all winter.  They are really cracking down on the chain thing and frankly I have never once needed to chain crossing that pass.  But others have caused the huge crack down on chains required. 

Thanks Paul.  I"m hauling horses so I want to get over there as quick as possible and be done with this.   

I think I'll do as Scotty suggests and with your warnings and just plan to come back to Portland.   

• Like 1

Today and tomorrow WDOT APP forecasting 43baffaeff0b564dfa33ed344da4b22d.jpg7f75a0d6d15e079f9d1d33451ee7364c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

So the snow level Saturday morning will be right around pass level.   I'll just look at the cameras and decide in the morning for sure.   Coming back to Portland isn't the end of the world.   At least the 2017 is comfortable to drive.

Joe

Baker City Area is not for the weak of heart either , ice / snow 

and before La Grande on that hill it gets hairy also 

I’ve many times in winter travels had severe winter roads , and probably the most white knuckle drive of my life near Baker City towing very heavy 

so do your homework Buddy

12 minutes ago, GTroyer said:

Joe

Baker City Area is not for the weak of heart either , ice / snow 

and before La Grande on that hill it gets hairy also 

I’ve many times in winter travels had severe winter roads , and probably the most white knuckle drive of my life near Baker City towing very heavy 

so do your homework Buddy

Oh I am well aware of the weather through there.    Weather looks OK at this point and I'll have chains for truck and trailer so if I have to slow down I will do it.   Luckily most of it should be daylight hours.   

1 hour ago, C Paul Go said:

Amen to that. I’ve seen wet roads turn to a skating rink at Easton, then back to wet just a few miles furthers. 

21 minutes ago, rubystargoats said:

Where are you planing to  stop for the night??

Caldwell, ID, maybe Baker City.  Not sure yet.    Somewhere after the horses are unloaded.   

Edited by jcasper

Hey Joe did you get a good deal on your chains? 🤣

After the millions of miles I’ve done, the biggest concern I have is ice plus wind. If there is a transition stretch and a chain up requirement possible, I play it safe primarily due to the butt clowns out there that have no clue. I won’t chain up and turn around or...avoid it all and log a bit more seat time to assure that I get to where I want to go.

I hate that puckered feeling and I know the stressors effect my wife alot more than me.

Happy Wife, Happy Horses, Joyous Joe lol

2 hours ago, Scotty_ said:

Hey Joe did you get a good deal on your chains? 🤣

After the millions of miles I’ve done, the biggest concern I have is ice plus wind. If there is a transition stretch and a chain up requirement possible, I play it safe primarily due to the butt clowns out there that have no clue. I won’t chain up and turn around or...avoid it all and log a bit more seat time to assure that I get to where I want to go.

I hate that puckered feeling and I know the stressors effect my wife alot more than me.

Happy Wife, Happy Horses, Joyous Joe lol

Yes I got a great deal.  I know what you’re saying.  If snoqualmie is questionable at all I’ll come back through Portland.  A 100 miles at 70mph isn’t much compared to fighting the weather and people over snoqualmie.  

I know you’ve got pretty solid equipment but if you have any hang ups on this side of the state, get in touch.  Safe travels. 

Chains on truck and trailer. Words of experience. 

Safe travels!

Drive safe Joe
I have had my horse trailer pass my truck going down I-90 coming home from hunting the only thing that saved me was chains on the horse trailer and a good trailer brake controller with a gentle finger on the trailer brake only.
I think I saw God as I was looking out my side window at my horse looking at me.

I had a camper at a 45* angle a few times on I-94 between Fargo and Jamestown. I couldn’t see the off ramps or signs otherwise I would’ve been off the road somewhere safe. It was clear and calm in Fargo when I entered the abyss.

I have a CB in the truck. Heard someone yell Left Lane!

I moved left and as I did I saw the corner of a semi trailer poking out of a snow drift taller than the trailer jammed under an overpass.

Pucker almost switch to Soil 🙀