Suprmn

My Last 98 - Build Thread

Well, I have always wanted to do a build thread, so here it goes.  Some disclaimers.  I bought this truck as a hobby.  And frankly to keep me from buying a big truck, i.e. Mack / Peterbilt.  I did a lot of commercial driving and sometimes just want the feeling of a rig.  However, every time I get to the ledge on a big truck, I just cant jump.  Too much expense for a hobby truck and I just cant justify it.  So, this truck will have to fit the bill.  

What grabbed my attention on this truck other than it is a 12V 98 with quad doors, is the flatbed.  I love how this thing looks.  It wasn't running when I bought it and I bought it as is, where is.  I didn't even bother to look at it much.  It really didn't matter to me.  This is where I wanted to start....  Lol, take note as I describe what I ended up with.  So, here we go.  Pic of where I found it and how it got home, and happily sitting in the driveway.

IMG_0869.jpg

IMG_0918.jpg

IMG_0920.jpg

Edited by Suprmn

So, its a 98, 12V with a nV4500 5 speed.  239K miles.  Motor appears to be fairly stock.  

So, first look over.   Interior in rough shape.  Seat is shot, carpet is shot, headliner wiped out from water leaks from the home installed cab lights.  Door panels on the main doors pretty rough.  Not a good time to mention that I am a perfectionist, but I am trying to be better on living with things as they are.  Rockers and lower parts of the doors dents and dings.  both front fenders with some rash.  The rest of the outside in decent shape.   However, I noticed a gap in the hood line where it mates to the passenger fender.  I thought the hood was off, but ultimately, I found that this has been in a collision at one point and the U shaped radiator mount is buckled.  It looks like with that replaced that everything will line up.  

IMG_0865.jpg

IMG_0941.jpg

So, then I started mucking under the hood.  Been leaking for what looks like years around the power steering / hydroboost unit.  Dirty as heck, but generally seemed to be all there.  Then, I get around to looking at the airbox.  It had been jerked off of the inner fender.  As I looked closer, the top of the box lid had also been broken.  When I popped the lid, there was quite a bit of dust on what should be the clean side of the filter box....  Not what I wanted to see.   Then I pulled the filter out...  *insert expletive***   At this very moment I regretted my decision to buy this thing.  Neglect doesn't quite sum it up.   Well, what the heck, I own it and have resurrected worse, so off I go.   I am thinking that the suction created by the plugged filter yanked the airbox off of the fender and broke the box.  I have no idea how this thing was running this way.

Found a guy parting out a truck in Portland so off I go.  Have a good seat, headliner and carpet, and best of all, a nice airbox set up.  I have a list posted for other stuff I am looking for.

IMG_0859.jpg

IMG_0972.jpg

On to the engine.

The battery's were good, I hooked everything up and whacked the starter a bunch.  It would just barely turn over with a ton of starter gear noise.  Off to buy a starter.  Incidentally, as I started to look around, I ended up buying a starter off of Amazon for $95.  Identical looking to what I took out and turns the engine over no problem.  Add a bit of diesel to the tank and started cranking.  At this point it will only start if I give it throttle.  Based on what the air filter looked like, I can only imagine what the fuel filter is like.

Once it caught, it settled down to a nice idle.  Not too much smoke, etc.  This truck has been sitting for about 3 years so I am surprised it ran that good.  Hmm, starting to feel a bit better about the whole thing.  Lol, until I look underneath the truck.   Pretty decent amount of blowby.  Based on the air filter situation, it would not surprise me if the rings, etc. were a bit tired..  But for now,  I am not going to jump to any conclusions.  

So, aired up the tires, put about a quart of power steering fluid and a bunch of brake fluid in it, and time for a test drive.  

Took a bit to get used to the quarter turn of slop in the steering.  Found some bad steering components to account for that.  3rd gear syncros apparently were not part of the deal, as they appear to be absent.  Brake fluid loss is from a bad rear wheel cylinder.  Runs out good, but when it gets to higher RPM with any decent amount of throttle it will start to smoke black and plenty of it.  

Drove it around a bit and...…  I enjoyed the heck out of the truck.  I am happy with my purchase.  If I end up having to rebuild everything...  well, that's alright.  This is just to play with and I will enjoy working on it along the way.  

So, that brings things up to date.  Updates to this thread will be slow as this is one of many projects I have, but as I continue to sort my way through this thing I will post updates.  

One other thing that I discovered.  This truck has some sort of quasi home brew 5 inch exhaust that has been left leaning on the rear axle.  The exhaust extends just past the axle where it looks like they got tired and ran out of pipe or patience or both based on the welds, so they tack on a chrome tip and call it good.  Interesting as the pipe is buried up under the truck where no one could see the tip anyway.

Other than the parts I am looking for listed in the marketplace, I have one question.  I would like to have the NV4500 rebuilt.  Any recommendations of someone that could do the work?  I did a search, but for manual transmissions, the last recommendations were kind of old.

Give a company called Transfer Case Express in Oakland Calif .. believe they carry trannys also ?

reasonable prices and a good co to deal with

they are online so go there and look for trannys 

a great place for transfer cases for sure lol  

last I checked they sell new almost as low a rebuilt 

about as nasty a air air cleaner as I have ever seen BTW

Edited by GTroyer

I might be doing something similar as a Maddi Mobile. Hunt down a Ram Diesel off a farm locally, go through it and let her drive it.

There are some 1st and 2nd gens close to us so next fall bird hunt will be a Ram hunt too.

have fun!

6 hours ago, Suprmn said:

I would like to have the NV4500 rebuilt.  Any recommendations of someone that could do the work?  I did a search, but for manual transmissions, the last recommendations were kind of old.

I can do the tranny 5 speed are easy to bad we are so far apart. 

So, the donor is a 1999 2500 with a V10 and automatic.  As you can see the bed had a mishap with a tree, but the remainder of the truck is a real cream puff.  It has 113K miles on it.  To be honest, this thing is so nice it will be hard to take it apart to part out, so I am mulling over the following:

1)  Pull it apart and take the nice stuff to put onto my diesel truck.  - probably the easiest in that I could do it over time.  No real technical hurdles.  

2)  Do a complete cab swap to the diesel truck. - Doable.  Based on my internet research, this is not all that hard.  Have to do a 5 speed conversion at the same time so that is extra work.  Have to deal with Vin number issues.

3)  Pull the diesel drivetrain and bed and put it into the 99. -  Based on my internet research, this isn't all that bad of a job as well.  I once again have to do a 5 speed conversion along the way, so that is extra work.  But this seems like it would yield the nicest truck combination.  

Edited by Suprmn
  • Like 1

Nice project! I'll be following along. My 2nd gen had the wrong air filter with about a 2 inch gap on either side of the seal when I got it. Engine was already junk though. It's amazing what some folks can do to a rig throughout the years.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

When I was in Alberta, I had a V-10 from a 97 and it ended up in a river boat. It started a strong trend for several years as the cat’s azz way to do it.

3 hours ago, Scotty_ said:

When I was in Alberta, I had a V-10 from a 97 and it ended up in a river boat. It started a strong trend for several years as the cat’s azz way to do it.

I had a friend in Idaho that put fuel injected  ford v-10 in jet boat he loved it 

Funny how things happen.  The v10 truck is just too nice to part out.  I have been driving it around and enjoying it fully.  So, I went back to work looking for a donor truck.  Today I found it.  95 Dodge ram gasser, blown engine but has a utility bed.  So, now out of the 3 trucks I will make two good ones with mix and match and then decide which one to keep.  I have bought 3 trucks in the last 3 months and my wife hasn't freaked out yet.....  Hmmm, wonder if I could get away with #4....  😁

IMG_1097.jpg

2 hours ago, Scotty_ said:

Maybe she’s buying stuff too lol

LOL, she is.  the credit card got hammered last month.