Greg

Ball joints, shocks, unit bearings

Hey guys looking for part # for ball joints and unit bearings and what front shocks are guys running? I'm still running the shocks I got from Ben (Mike) when I got the truck in 2012.

Edited by Greg

Are those BOSS shocks or Rancho RS9000's ?

Rancho 9000 the ones mike had off of his old truck. I got the springs shocks and air bags, you put them on for me at The outfitters.

How much are you looking to spend?

Unit bearings are easy the SKF unit bearings are SKF BR930507

If you're willing to spend the money I'd get Dynatrac or Carli ball joints and do it once. I am VERY happy with my Dynatracs, they have been abused, several trips to baja, ran without grease, been on 3 different trucks, and I just rebuilt them this summer. Carli slightly more money and I have never heard of either brand failing....

I was super happy with the RS9000XL's I had on my Ford, Thuren and Carli have their low end shocks that I have never heard bad things about. Bilstien 5000/5100 and 7000/7100 are great shocks, the 7 series being rebuildable. As are any of the King/Fox ect 2.0 and up.... If your looking to stay with the same ride I'd just get a set of the 9000XL's, if you want to improve it call Mike as he is a Carli dealer and the Carli signature shocks would be a nice improvement.

Edited by megacabcummins

37 minutes ago, Greg said:

Rancho 9000 the ones mike had off of his old truck. I got the springs shocks and air bags, you put them on for me at The outfitters.

I really hate it, but I have absolutely no memory of doing that.... I hate getting old. All the trucks are just a blur now. Pat is spot on with his recommendation above. You can do it cheaper by buying MOOG ball joints and Chinese unit bearings off Amazon. I would suspect you will get a couple years out of them. i have installed many and never heard of an issue. But in the end you get what you pay for and i would be surprised if they had to be replaced again in another 50K miles....

Remember Rancho’s  lifetime replacement is only to original purchaser with receipt 

I've been running Boss shocks now for I think three years.  I'd highly recommend them, these things are about as heavy duty as it gets.

3 hours ago, Woodenhead said:

I've been running Boss shocks now for I think three years.  I'd highly recommend them, these things are about as heavy duty as it gets.

I've been on my set a lot longer than that. They are great shocks, just difficult to source....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Torque Monkey said:

I've been on my set a lot longer than that. They are great shocks, just difficult to source....

Youre the reason I’m running them, I think I stumbled across one of your posts about them when I was putting the ‘98 together.

• Like 1

Went with the Bilstien 5100 front and rear, Timkin unit bearings and still up in the air on the ball joints, my XRF's didn't make it 50k. I'm thinking Moog factory replacement this go around last factory ball joints went over 150k.

Edited by Greg

3 minutes ago, Greg said:

Went with the Bilstien 5100 front and rear, Timkin unit bearings and still up in the air on the ball joints, my XRF's didn't make it 50k. I'm thinking Moog factory replacement this go around last factory ball joints went over 150k.

The XRF are absolute Garbage.    

I use AAM replacements and haven't had equipment failure issues.  One of the major things I do is make sure the knuckle moves VERY freely when I am done.  I had one set go in that I couldn't get freed up to my liking, but still loose enough to not effect return-to-center when going down the road.  That side failed within 30K miles.

58 minutes ago, Greg said:

Exact setup all the way around that I went with when my front end was converted from the Y-T configuration.  I've always liked Timken bearings and the unit hubs seemed solid.

Edited by carl20320

Mark can I get the part No. for the AAM ball joints. is it 74100001

Edited by Greg

Who makes the AAM replacements? I know SKF makes the unit bearings for AAM. Another company that is making better ball joints EMF and Synergy.... both of those also up there in price.

EMF is never in stock, I've looked at them before.

I ditched those unit bearings on my truck and put free wheeling hubs in a few years ago. 

Simple to work on and they last compared to the outrageous unit bearing costs... 

Easier on the front end too not having so many things spinning..

Unit bearings are under $200ea now, it would take quite a while to make up that $1400 difference.

I opted for the mopar unit bearings and had the dealer install them. It was $789 canadian (around 500 ish usd) for the pair and I have a two year unlimited mile warranty across North America.

a good deal for me

JMSO

I can't speak for the Dodge trucks but with the Fords, the unite bearings last a long time IF.....  You leave the wheels and tires close to stock size and offset.  When you go to BIG tires and more offset to the outside, the unite bearings can't handle the extra load. The Free Spin hubs solve that for them.

I can't speak for the Dodge trucks but with the Fords, the unite bearings last a long time IF.....  You leave the wheels and tires close to stock size and offset.  When you go to BIG tires and more offset to the outside, the unite bearings can't handle the extra load. The Free Spin hubs solve that for them.
You said it. Dodge issue also.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

The XRF's I installed back when I remembered that  the upper or the lower ball joint was knurled. Do I have to reinstall knurled ball joints, I see from the AAM parts they are not knurled.

I've never personally replaced a set of knurled balljoints.  I have heard that they can chew up the joint and cause a looser fit for the replacements.

I have 175K miles.... Original unit bearing and original ball joints.