HOSS

Operation Enterprise has begun

This weekend I got the 6 speed done on my friends truck and another buddy of mine brought his 04.5 down and I did a 1000 mile service on his rebuild that I put in and replaced his bent lower control arm and put on a set of Nerf bars for him. Then I did an oil and fuel filter change on the Jetta and rotated the tires.

Once those things were done I drug the wife's Santa Fe out of the lean to and towed it into the shop to start bringing the Enterprise back to life. I am going to remove the engine and transaxle and replace them with a low miles used replacement.

Travis came by while I was still on the Jetta and dropped off a load wood so I have something to do in my spare time.

I call her car the Enterprise because that AWD V6 will boldly go where no one has gone before. A set of studded snow tires and you cannot get that car stuck! Until you loose the timing belt. Which was the factory belt with over 200,000 miles on it. Yeah I dropped the ball on the maintenance of this car.

• Like 1

Sounds like a good time. Does it seem pretty straight forward and easy? Pictures?

Sounds like you won't have any spare time to split wood. :) 

7 hours ago, Torque Monkey said:

Sounds like a good time. Does it seem pretty straight forward and easy? Pictures?

I forgot to post pictures last night :hit: The engine shouldn't be to bad at all I have to use the lift and take everything lose then lift the car off the engine and slide it out. As soon as I get my phone I will post (Not much to see yet.)

I wish I was putting a 4BT in it!
And yes I know a guy too......
I have about 5 years forth of other projects to do before something like that could happen. 06e1ea9faeadefec2d3cb5bef4ee040a.jpg78d02b0888d7c8f561263049dc70edaf.jpg

I know a guy that has a TDI you could drop in that thing... It's crated and ready to drive up to your place. 😁

Just sayin...

did you source a good replacement engine yet?
I haven't bought one yet but I have several places that keep a stock of these that I am watching. I am waiting till I have the engine out and the car ready before I pull the trigger. They have 30 day warranty's on them and I want to put it in as soon as it shows. One I am watching has a 60,000 mile engine and trans for $1,700

Nice seeing you and Terry yesterday Mr Hoss!! You always have so much  going on!!

6 hours ago, 199712valve said:

Nice seeing you and Terry yesterday Mr Hoss!! You always have so much  going on!!

It was good to see you Travis! Thanks for thinking about us and letting me know you had some firewood it is much appreciated 

• Thanks 1

I'm surprised you didn't back it in. Then straight out the door with the old, and straight in with the new. Heck, set it on a pallet and forks on the tractor, done in no time. 😎

On 11/12/2018 at 9:31 AM, HOSS said:
On 11/12/2018 at 6:59 AM, Abbyfireguy said:
did you source a good replacement engine yet?

One I am watching has a 60,000 mile engine and trans for $1,700

Wow, $1,700 They think very highly of them!

9 hours ago, livingez_123 said:

Wow, $1,700 They think very highly of them!

Not bad if compared to a JDM engine.  Can easily bee looking at 2-3.8K there.

Well if we're spending Hoss' money for him, I vote for a 426 Hellephant crate engine! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, SMOKN05 said:

Well if we're spending Hoss' money for him, I vote for a 426 Hellephant crate engine! 

I like your thinking.

3 hours ago, SMOKN05 said:

Spending Hoss's money is one of my favorite past times!!!!

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, SMOKN05 said:

Now that makes sense!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I found a 2003 Sante Fe at the Arlington pick n pull that was rear ended and totaled by the insurance company. I put a battery in it and got the dash to fire up and it has 76,000 miles on it. I am buying the engine and transmission and all associated parts for $650.00
Its going to be a major pain to pull out there but price is right. I am going to get a complete gasket kit and timing belt etc...... Pull the heads check everything out before putting it in. One really nice thing is the only O2 sensors are in the exhaust manifolds so the exhaust is going to be much lighter when it goes back in. One little muffler in the very back and that's it. I am hoping to bring the engine home on Thursday. The engine and transmission come out as a unit just 6 bolts hold the subframe assembly that they are attached to.
Lowering it out the bottom will be a chore. It should be interesting.

2 hours ago, HOSS said:

I found a 2003 Sante Fe at the Arlington pick n pull that was rear ended and totaled by the insurance company. I put a battery in it and got the dash to fire up and it has 76,000 miles on it. I am buying the engine and transmission and all associated parts for $650.00
Its going to be a major pain to pull out there but price is right. I am going to get a complete gasket kit and timing belt etc...... Pull the heads check everything out before putting it in. One really nice thing is the only O2 sensors are in the exhaust manifolds so the exhaust is going to be much lighter when it goes back in. One little muffler in the very back and that's it. I am hoping to bring the engine home on Thursday. The engine and transmission come out as a unit just 6 bolts hold the subframe assembly that they are attached to.
Lowering it out the bottom will be a chore. It should be interesting.

Isn't Thursday Thanksgiving???

I wish i was closer... I would love to help with the removal.

I sent you a phone message.

Yes they are open from 8-2 on Thursday and open Friday

30 minutes ago, HOSS said:
4 hours ago, Torque Monkey said:

Yes they are open from 8-2 on Thursday and open Friday

Yeah, I was thinking maybe you had some place to be...

Check your pick and pull mine here will let you take cordless tools the impact and saws all come in handy they also have a frame lifts for use just need buddy to move it. Good luck