Scotty_

Odd wiper issue...

Yesterday morning I got into the truck and the wipers were about 1/3 up on the windshield.

Last night parked the truck in the shop, wipers down, power off. Come out this AM and they are about 1/2 way up on the glass.

I googled and nothing comes up for when the vehicle is off. 

I haven’t checked the relay yet as I am wondering why if the power is off, why would the wipers come up on the glass?

The switch is actually an easy fix but I figured I’d post here and maybe someone else has had this happen?

Everything works fine otherwise.

Everything in that switch arm works, signals/cancel, high beam, wiper on low and high, washer and intermittent all work normal.

Any ideas?

On Edit, I also tried to actuate the wipers with the truck off and no key. No action from the wipers or anything other than I can flash the high beams... normal

Edited by Scotty_

Hahahah

She’s better at parking the Jeep.

The neighbors didn’t even notice she was driving down the lane with me on the passenger side the other day. They waved, we laughed.

For the 3rd gens I've read that the wipers can go wacky and start swiping even with the truck turned off. I have not had that issue but I do have the wacky intermittent wipers. Sometimes they swipe once, then twice, sometimes 4-5 or more then stop and sometimes don't work at all in intermittent position. They always work in low or high so I just live with it.

EDIT: I should add, when I researched this, some guys changed the wiper switch assembly and said it fixed it, others did and said it did not fix it. Some said they had to change the wiper motor/linkage assembly in the cowl area and that fixed it.

Edited by SMOKN05

Byron told me about this just a few days ago. He said Ethan's truck had the wipers go crazy on him. They would turn themselves on when the truck was parked with no key in the ignition and the wipers turned off.

Yup, this happens on my Father in laws 05.   Wipers and heater motor will run with ignition off.

Do you guys now what fixed theirs? 

I had a similar issue happen with my truck but it was the headlights that would come on. It could have been the windshield wipers also but it was the headlights that we noticed. I had to replace the forward control module that is fixed to the side of the Power Distribution Module.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/02-05-DODGE-RAM-1500-FCM-BCM-FRONT-BODY-CONTROL-MULTIFUNCTION-MODULE-P56045434AF/223221635568?fits=Year%3A2004|Make%3ADodge&epid=810624148&hash=item33f90bd9f0:g:qeIAAOSwQf9beJLy:sc:USPSPriority!98632!US!-1:rk:2:pf:0

Just have to be sure the numbers match up as there are different part numbers for different options I believe. Haven't had an issue since. This was probably 5 years ago that i changed it.

4th gen is different supposedly and just to clarify, the wipers don’t keep swiping, and it only happens after the truck is off and the wipers come up 1/3 to 1/2 of a full swipe. I haven’t seen it do it.  I come out to the truck the next day and they’ve moved.

Hasn’t happened since this AM.

Maybe they’ll be moved again when I go out there tomorrow.

2 hours ago, Scotty_ said:

4th gen is different supposedly and just to clarify, the wipers don’t keep swiping, and it only happens after the truck is off and the wipers come up 1/3 to 1/2 of a full swipe. I haven’t seen it do it.  I come out to the truck the next day and they’ve moved.

Hasn’t happened since this AM.

Maybe they’ll be moved again when I go out there tomorrow.

Yes, I should clarify that the issue I was describing is only with trucks from 03 to 05 (diesels).

I had clarified Maple Syrup this morning.

😂

Time to wander out to the shop and see if the Ghost was back.

I sent you a voodo doll to ostracize it from the truck 

Edited by GTroyer

Get out here and now the wipers are at the full swipe to the left.

Maybe it is that thing similar to what Ben mentioned. :(

if it wasn't such a PIA to reset everything I'd pull the battery cables and see it if reset the computer , but all your settings would go south too I think [don't know if the new ones store memory] 

I have an idea Scotty. Grab a chair and sit and stare at the truck all night long until you catch it in the act! :lol: Don't look away for a second or you'll miss it!

It just did it while driving 

theres s module with a cam lock that can get kicked left side.

it was suggested open and close the module to reset

If that doesn’t work the dealer will reset the module 

they’ve seen this issue 

I didn’t blink 

11 hours ago, GTroyer said:

I sent you a voodo doll to ostracize it from the truck 

I doubt it will clear the border, too many tariffs

All

signs pointing to batteries were low after our last cold snap. Didn’t have truck plugged in first night and cranked slow out on the street.

Had Battery Save Mode message and then after speaking with a tech/service mgr I know, the IBS (intelligent battery sensor) set this msg if the batteries run below 70%.

Its cleared now and had batteries tested holding charge.

But once they take a few hits like this and all the parasitics in these newer trucks, I will be replacing shortly.

Not a whole lot of choices out there.No more Kirkland and wasn’t ever pleased with what’s been the replacement 

May go AG

Just an FYI Scotty ... The Kirkland ones were made by Johnson Controls , I do not know if they were specked with higher quality than their normal batteries ... I do know that all the Kirkland Signature food items are specked higher quality than national branded products. 

Waaaay back in early 2000’s I had Kirkland batteries because they offered a better warranty.

Then when I looked at batteries for my 2012, not only was it Interstate but the warranty was less.

2018 now and I learn that the newer the truck, the more drain on the batteries.

several brands have lesser warranty and quality.

darn near 20 yrs since I bought a Kirkland 

Even consumer reports says there’s no longer a quality deal for batteries at Costco.

Even electronics warranties have changed at Costco. Used to be you could take something back no questions asked and no hassle. Not anymore. Less and less appealing probably as times change so does the bottom line.

Will research more as so many things are poorer quality for more money/name

JMSO

• Like 1

My last couple sets of Costco batteries got warrantied.   Not sure if there are batteries out there that would last longer and I wouldn't have to warranty, but they don't ask any questions if I do.

Imho .. not at that price point Joe

I will be replacing my Odyssey 2150 amp soon .. bought in 2001 IIRC maybe 2002 but think 2001 .. I will be buying another Odyssey 2150 for replacement yes more $$ but service life makes it worth it . 

Only issue with current battery is I don’t drive the truck enough and forget to put on the trickle charger to keep it topped up. This time of the year as you know is very taxing and this old one can’t do well if I don’t have the oil heater plugged in also something I forget mostly 

NAPA gold group 31s have been serving me well. Previously I was using Group 31 Interstate Workahaulics, they lasted a long time and survived numerous full drains. Turns out the quality of them has gone downhill now as well so I didn’t buy another set. 

I’ve heard Odyssey batteries are not what they used to be anymore either, maybe not worth the $ anymore. 

Got  3 Odyssey batteries in use now one old one , one in my CJ7  that’s stored at Skips place on maintenance charger, one in my Side x Side that’s replaces the stock one but I replaced it with a 925 amp one , also it’s on a maintenance charger haven’t been started in a long while . 

They all are different vintages from 18 years +/- as I don’t remember the exact year purchased , the one I got for the CJ7 a few months before I left Coeur d’Alene and the one in my Arctic Cat that maybe 2 years old  .. not one issue with any of them. 

So my my expierence is 100% positive with Odyssey. 

Oh ya and the one I drowned for a year ( totally submerged under water growing algie on it ) I slow trickled charged it for 3 weeks and then used that battery for another few years 

I'm running a single Odyssey 2150 in my truck. It's decent but cranks slow when cold. When it gets down to single digits it barely will start it cranks so slow. I'm not really happy about that. It almost left us stranded in Yellowstone in winter a couple years ago. The factory batteries and the Napa Golds I used would crank just fine even at -20F left unplugged. 

I have used the small Odyssey 680 batteries in my sports cars and they worked great but they are old, thus 2150 is only a few years old. So maybe their quality has gone downhill. 

It seems that Chinese crappy quality has creeped into everything these days so it wouldn't surprise me if batteries are the same.