Sign in to follow this  
HOSS

2014 10,000 mile impressions

I have put 10,000 miles on the new truck (it has 72,000 total now) and thought I would let you guys what I think so far.

The only other thing I have to compare it to is the 02 since I had never been in a 4th gen until Mark Smith gave me his to drive. I had only rode in a few 3rd gen trucks as well so I was totally new to this stuff.

Suspension and steering: Even though it is a one ton it rides better than the 02 by far. Even when the 02 had factory springs and air bags.

The front end on this truck is massive! The control arms are huge! Everything is way more stout than the 02.

I am amazed how easy this truck is to drive. The steering on the 02 forced me to be a very active driver, you could not just hold the wheel it was a constant battle to keep it straight down the road. This truck is a two fingers on the wheel and cruise.

With the camper and boat I put 35lbs in the air bags and it drives like it's empty. I don't have the leaning and sway the 02 had and you don't feel like you have to brake into corners for fear of rolling it.

Brakes: the brakes are light years ahead of the 02, the integrated trailer brake controller works great. With the camper and towing the boat with surge brakes the truck has no problem stopping and no fade. The exhaust brake is incredible! I wish somebody had told me years ago how nice an exhaust brake is. The antilock system and traction control work very well and the exhaust brake is tied into the traction control system so if you loose traction the exhaust brake shuts off and won't cause you to spin out.

I wish the exhaust brake would stay on when selected but you have to turn it on each time you start the truck unless you are hooked to a trailer it stays on then.

Engine: All I can is WOW! This 6.7 is smooth quiet and powerful. It pulls like freight train and temps have never been an issue. I have not seen over 950° on the pyro other than when the DEF is active the downstream egt sensor got a little over 1000° once. Water temp has never been an issue I haven't even had to shut off the AC pulling hills. I have never seen 200° water temps. I can't get over how quiet it is.

Transmission: I am sold! This auto is so nice. Everything Mark and Byron told me is true. This thing just knows what gear it needs to be in and it goes there. The shifts are very smooth and fluid. It almost seems sloppy like a really loose converter until you realize how fast you are gaining speed. It does have times when it hunts for the right gear pulli g a hill loaded and occasionally when your aproching a stop light and it changes before you come to complete stop when you get back on the throttle it will slam the next gear. But that is rare.

This transmission never gets hot and is so smooth it's amazing. It works perfectly with the exhaust brake as well.

Interior: I have never had anything but SLT level trucks so a Laramie loaded with almost every option was a whole new world for me. I am a leather covert. I have never had a vehicle with leather and never thought I wanted it. I was wrong! Heated and cooled leather seats are great. The position memory for seats, mirrors and peddle position are great for when Terry drives the truck. Separate heater control's are very nice as well. The under floor storage and folding rear seats that have a fold out floor are great for taking the dogs or hauling gear. The stereo is awesome!

Other: the keyless entry/start took some time to get used to but I like it a lot now. Being able to walk up to a locked truck and just grab the door handle to unlock it is really nice. For Terry it's great to not have to fumble for keys or worry about somebody sneaking up on her while she unlocks it. The auto lock button on the door handle is very nice as well. Is has great headlights and interior lighting as well. The navigation screen and controls are really nice. Little things like the auto start on a cold day automatically turning on the seat and steering wheel heater is cool!

Pro's: all of the above

Con's: The only things I can complain about is for some reason the driver's side front window rattles when you roll it down. Terry does not care for the seats, she feels like she is sliding out of the seat and has to put a non skid pad on the seat and the headrest is too far forward for her. I removed the rear seat headrests because they create a large blind spot and we very rarely have rear seat passengers, the rear headrests are much more vertical that the front seats so I put a rear seat headrest on the passenger front seat and Terry loves it.

The rear view camera in the tailgate drives me nuts. It works great when you have the tailgate on but I have it off a lot. A camera in the license plate frame would be great. I am going to add one soon.

All in all I am loving this truck!

I set one of the trip meters the day I got the truck and so far with a lot of towing I am averaging over 17 mpg and I am very happy with that.

cf7a7b72d04e5f52c692b9994b13707b.jpg

• Like 3

That's all very good to hear. Its nice to see improvements over the generations. I don't know if I'll ever get a different truck but if I do it'll be a newer auto like yours.

Average 33 MPH.... ouch.

• Haha 1

Pull the door apart and replace the window guides.  Heard that fixes it and its a 30 dollar fix.

Headlights are WORLDS better with 9011 Phillips bulbs that are modified slightly to fit (the bulb, not the housing)  Gives about 30% more output and nice bright white color.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00480J5CW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Modification link.

http://shnu.us/HIR Trimming Stock.htm

37s will knock that mileage down for you no problem. :right:  I'm getting 13.5 back and forth to work (28mph average) and get 18-18.5 on road trips with my big tires.  Going to go with 4.11 gears here shortly..... but still don't feel too tall geared as is.

You get your leveling kit (IF....) I might know a guy that can hook you up with a stout track bar.

I'm just very happy it didn't blow up two weeks after you showed up, paid for it, and drove it away for the FIRST TIME.  Especially after that picture of the air filter element.

Guess blind faith is flattering. 

Welcome to the dark side.  I LOVE THESE TRUCKS!!!!!

8 hours ago, Scotty_ said:

The changes from 2nd to 3rd to 4th gen are huge!

nice rigs for sure. 

That was pretty much my thought when I went form a 1st gen to 3rd gen.  :dance:

12 hours ago, Torque Monkey said:

Average 33 MPH.... ouch.

Ben does your truck show you your average MPH? When I got the truck the average total MPH was at 29. 

Most of my driving is on the freeway and traveling over East. It does not take much in town driving to knock the average down. 

11 hours ago, marksmith said:

Pull the door apart and replace the window guides.  Heard that fixes it and its a 30 dollar fix.

Headlights are WORLDS better with 9011 Phillips bulbs that are modified slightly to fit (the bulb, not the housing)  Gives about 30% more output and nice bright white color.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00480J5CW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Modification link.

http://shnu.us/HIR Trimming Stock.htm

37s will knock that mileage down for you no problem. :right:  I'm getting 13.5 back and forth to work (28mph average) and get 18-18.5 on road trips with my big tires.  Going to go with 4.11 gears here shortly..... but still don't feel too tall geared as is.

You get your leveling kit (IF....) I might know a guy that can hook you up with a stout track bar.

I'm just very happy it didn't blow up two weeks after you showed up, paid for it, and drove it away for the FIRST TIME.  Especially after that picture of the air filter element.

Guess blind faith is flattering. 

Welcome to the dark side.  I LOVE THESE TRUCKS!!!!!

I will look into the window fix! 

I have the new headlights I just need to find the time to put them in. 

I am very interested in the track bar. I wish that leveling kit would hurry up already!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice write up Hoss. I'm very happy for you.👍Sounds like a case of you didn't know what you were missing until you get it and then wonder why you waited.😎

Nice write up Hoss. I'm very happy for you.Sounds like a case of you didn't know what you were missing until you get it and then wonder why you waited.
Egg zackary

I was pretty sure you were going to like the jump from the 2nd gens.....

They are amazing trucks I love mine. My buddy a die hard manual guy took mine on 1000 mi trip towing his camper he is sold. 

4 hours ago, HOSS said:

Ben does your truck show you your average MPH? When I got the truck the average total MPH was at 29. 

Most of my driving is on the freeway and traveling over East. It does not take much in town driving to knock the average down. 

i don't think it does.... I will look at the Ford. I would like to think it is higher than 33 MPH considering all of my driving is highway. But maybe not.

1 hour ago, Torque Monkey said:

i don't think it does.... I will look at the Ford. I would like to think it is higher than 33 MPH considering all of my driving is highway. But maybe not.

If I remember right, I think our odometer shows hours though so quick math can get the average. I'm pretty sure that's right but I haven't looked at mine in years.

22 minutes ago, SMOKN05 said:

If I remember right, I think our odometer shows hours though so quick math can get the average. I'm pretty sure that's right but I haven't looked at mine in years.

Well, actually i was thinking of checking the F150. If I checked average speed for my Dodge, over the last year, it might be a negative number. LOL! At least it will be driven this weekend. The camper is sitting on it now.