HOSS

Looking for a NV5600

Or two motors?   Too soon?  

I love you man.   I'm watching other pages for part outs. No luck so far.
I hate you
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ok Hoss, Here is what I have found for you.

The guy still building these and making them better than OEM is Cody Albrecht.  He's in Texas.

He said give him a call, says he can still get all the parts.   512-844-5747

I haven't seen any being parted out.

• Like 1

Ok Hoss, Here is what I have found for you.

The guy still building these and making them better than OEM is Cody Albrecht.  He's in Texas.

He said give him a call, says he can still get all the parts.   512-844-5747

I haven't seen any being parted out.
Thanks for looking Paul
Sorry I didn't update this thread. Stroketech Dave's transmission guy just finished building a transmission for me.
  • Like 1

So Sunday morning I went up North to see Dave and pick up the new 6 speed for Robs truck. 

The guys at the border were surprisingly gentle :question::blink: 

I got the transmission in Sunday afternoon and I am waiting on driveline U Joints now to complete the install. Hopefully it will be off the lift today! 

Thanks Dave for hooking me up with a great deal on a transmission!!!!! 

• Like 1

It got hot!
a307b1775d7bcfcc5e995d4fc14868b8.jpga70bc177ca5d8b75aea8fefb42aaaa58.jpg

So was it low or out of fluid when you opened it up?  Can these leak into an inconspicuous place (into the T Case?) or just leak while rolling down the road so maybe a fella wouldn't notice?  I'm going to pull a screw and check mine but a guy'd sure hate to have something like this sneak up on him :blink:.

Sounds like about as good of an outcome as anyone could have hoped for getting his rig fixed, nicely done fellas.  

• Like 1

So was it low or out of fluid when you opened it up?  Can these leak into an inconspicuous place (into the T Case?) or just leak while rolling down the road so maybe a fella wouldn't notice?  I'm going to pull a screw and check mine but a guy'd sure hate to have something like this sneak up on him :blink:.

Sounds like about as good of an outcome as anyone could have hoped for getting his rig fixed, nicely done fellas.  
They can leak through the seal into the space between the transfer case and the transmission. It would not leak into the transfer case itself. It had fluid in it when I drained it but I did measure what was there. It could have been low enough on fluid to cause the top bearings to run dry and seize.
My guess is a combination of things one lack of maintenance and two a leak somewhere that went unnoticed. These transmissions do not need to be very low on fluid to go bad. The angle of the transmission and the low amount of fluid they hold to the drain level both contribute to the problem. We definitely do a good deed overfilling them by a quart.
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, HOSS said:

They can leak through the seal into the space between the transfer case and the transmission. It would not leak into the transfer case itself. It had fluid in it when I drained it but I did measure what was there. It could have been low enough on fluid to cause the top bearings to run dry and seize.
My guess is a combination of things one lack of maintenance and two a leak somewhere that went unnoticed. These transmissions do not need to be very low on fluid to go bad. The angle of the transmission and the low amount of fluid they hold to the drain level both contribute to the problem. We definitely do a good deed overfilling them by a quart.

Solid info Hoss. So I guess to check the level just pull one of the top PTO cover bolts? If it runs out then I guess I’m still over by a quart. Or is there a more scientific method? 

be cool if you could find a location for a sight gauge

2 hours ago, GTroyer said:

be cool if you could find a location for a sight gauge

2 hours ago, GTroyer said:

Weld bung into pto cover used sight glass from hydraulic tank would work 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, yogi_160 said:

Weld bung into pto cover used sight glass from hydraulic tank would work 

Or fab a riser/dipstick tube onto the side cover with a threaded cap and dipstick. Then you could just pull the stick to check the level and also fill it through the tube withough the need to pull the top cover to do so. 

Solid info Hoss. So I guess to check the level just pull one of the top PTO cover bolts? If it runs out then I guess I’m still over by a quart. Or is there a more scientific method? 
No you want to pull the fill hole plug. The large plug that takes a Allen wrench

Just now, HOSS said:
9 hours ago, Woodenhead said:

No you want to pull the fill hole plug. The large plug that takes a Allen wrench

Right, it’s all coming back to me now. I look at that big Allen wrench every time I open the drawer in the tool box 🙄

The 4500 used a PTO bolt I think. 

I also have heard guys using a street elbow in plug hole to achieve extra capacity 

• Like 1

I got the front driveline back from getting new u joints and a new ball kit installed and finished the truck. The front and rear differentials have amsoil severe gear oil in them and Amsoil ATF in the transfer case and Amsoil MTL in the transmission (yes I overfilled it by one quart). It shifts smoother than any NV5600 I have used! Dave your guy builds a great transmission. New airdog filters were installed also.

• Like 1