Sign in to follow this  
HOSS

Interesting 4th gen issue! Not in a good way

So yesterday all the sudden my door locks quit working. The button on the door handle and the key fob both. I couldn't figure out why but along with that the little lines on the backup camera that show you were you going quit a few days ago. Sometimes on sometimes not. What I narrowed it down to was the pigtail that goes to the tailgate. When I take the tailgate off to put the camper on and unplug the harness it gets water in it from road spray when it's raining. I unplugged it and cleaned it out and put silicone dielectric grease on it and the door locks work now and the backup camera lines were back on but off again this morning. I may have to disassemble the plug completely. I can't believe they don't put a cap on this plug! I have one now I just hope I don't have any damaged wires. The backup camera screen is a little fuzzy at times as well. So if you ever have to take your tailgate off cover that plug!

interesting.   My Brother in law just had his camera replaced.   Dealer said dropping the tailgate too hard too many times damages them.   They suggested one of those strut things to lower it softly    

That was one of the first things I put on the truck.

2 hours ago, HOSS said:

So yesterday all the sudden my door locks quit working. The button on the door handle and the key fob both. I couldn't figure out why but along with that the little lines on the backup camera that show you were you going quit a few days ago. Sometimes on sometimes not. What I narrowed it down to was the pigtail that goes to the tailgate. When I take the tailgate off to put the camper on and unplug the harness it gets water in it from road spray when it's raining. I unplugged it and cleaned it out and put silicone dielectric grease on it and the door locks work now and the backup camera lines were back on but off again this morning. I may have to disassemble the plug completely. I can't believe they don't put a cap on this plug! I have one now I just hope I don't have any damaged wires. The backup camera screen is a little fuzzy at times as well. So if you ever have to take your tailgate off cover that plug!

Hoss, they do ship a cap for that plug with new trucks.  I got one with my truck.  Here's a picture of what you need.

Kevin

DSCN5389 (1024x755).jpg

15 hours ago, n7gxz said:

Hoss, they do ship a cap for that plug with new trucks.  I got one with my truck.  Here's a picture of what you need.

Kevin

DSCN5389 (1024x755).jpg

Look in your glove box. Maybe previous owner misplaced yours. It has two pieces, one for the truck and one for the gate.

Mine didn’t come with them either. 

23 hours ago, marksmith said:

Mine didn’t come with them either. 

WOW another corner cut by RAM. Less and less quality for more and more $$$🤔

I dug through my stuff. It was in with my upfitter wiring. 

• Like 1

I will look around and see if I can find it. If not I will order it. I have the tailgate off too much to not have it.

I’ll send you mine. Have had a tailgate off a pickup once or twice....... in 20 years. 

I started digging through the truck in case I missed this and checked every cubby hole there is. I knew I had a cold weather front in the under seat storage in the back and when I pulled the cover out look what I found inside! It's just the female but that's the one I want for the truck side of the plug. The tailgate is fine without it. I used trailer plug electrical cleaner on all the plugs and some silicone dielectric grease and put it all back together and it works great now.

Thanks for all the info guys!

04bf4a63f156d274c8a23b71ba3d5f34.jpg

My truck side has the snap in plastic doodad to cover the hole. You sure that’s the one you need?

16 hours ago, marksmith said:

My truck side has the snap in plastic doodad to cover the hole. You sure that’s the one you need?

The side with the pins sticking out is what is uncovered on my truck when I remove it. I have a a 1 foot long pigtail with the red locks on each end that goes from the just behind the spare tire to the plastic cover behind the tailgate whichever one I remove the pin side stays with the truck the female side with the lock stays with the tailgate. 

After multiple times using electrical cleaner spray on the connections I finally got it cleaned out well enough that everything is functioning properly. I would spray it with cleaner allow it to dry hook it up and it would work fine for a couple trips and start acting up again, the backup camera would get fuzzy or the door locks would act up and I would clean it again. It has been working fine for a couple weeks now. I think I finally got it. I will never leave those plugs uncovered again.