Sign in to follow this  
Bob V

Adaptive steering

I seen and heard a little about this when I bought my new truck. In the back of my mind I wondered how they did it. I was blown away to see it is done one the steering wheel itself.

Near as  I can tell the steering wheel is not a direct connection to the steering shaft. The motor/gear is mounted to the wheel, and it connects to the shaft. The motor can add movement to the steering shaft, like the video shows  up to 30% more.

I was proud of myself because I have been doing really well backing up my dump trailer lately. It's a challenge because it is shorter that the trucks I have towed it with. Real easy to get out of shape and not be able to correct it. 

The sharper turning circle on the 2011 F450 made a big difference, and I TOUGHT I was getting much better with the 2018. Now I find out it is the truck that makes it so much quicker to correct.

https://youtu.be/bW_-8IgFWBw

I was doing a little research on this as well. I was changing the oil on the F150 and noticed the electric actuator for the steering. It has roll stabilization and trailer sway correction. The explanation you have for how the steering works makes perfect sense now.

40 minutes ago, Torque Monkey said:

I was doing a little research on this as well. I was changing the oil on the F150 and noticed the electric actuator for the steering. It has roll stabilization and trailer sway correction. The explanation you have for how the steering works makes perfect sense now.

My understanding is the F150 and superduty Adaptive steering is different. Not sure in what ways, and how much. 

The F150 uses electric assist rack and pinion, while the Super duty uses the old style recirculating ball hydraulic assist.

What year is your F150? 

This was one of my must haves when we ordered ours last year. We have been very pleased with it so far.