Sign in to follow this  
HOSS

Question on brakes

The new truck has horrible brake dust. I assume they are the original pads and they have quite a bit still left on them but man they turn the wheels dark in no time. The previous owner did not bother to clean them at all and they have slight pitting in a few spots but it nothing that can't be cleaned up.

The brake work well even with the camper and boat (the exhaust brake is awesome!) But when I do the brakes I would like to use a pad that is not so bad on dust. If I have to sacrifice braking for less dust I won't bother but if I can get good braking and less dust please let me know what to use.

Napa’s lifetime pads don’t seem to dust up as bad. Also stop really well. 

Mine are getting changed pronto. The darn brake dust is terrible. 

I don't know if this is applicable to our trucks, but the Challenger guys with the 6 piston Brembos have terrible dust problems. A lot of guys switch pads to Powerstop Z23 or Z26 pads and love them. I don't know if they make ones for trucks but it might be worth a look. 

I sure like the Performance brakes I have on now [thanks again Mark Smith] , big improvement in braking and lil to no dusting

Hoss, I call the manufactures now. I tell them that dust is up on my concerns list.  I haven't ordered parts from Performance Brake.  But that's who I will order from next.

I tell them that dusting is a big concern for me, suggest something that doesn't dust for me.

The service brakes on my 2011 3500 dually do not dust bad at all. Guess RAM switched suppliers since mine was built. Of course, the first thing I do upon starting the truck is activate the exhaust brake! I use it even when running empty. The service brakes are only for the final stop.

The service brakes on my 2011 3500 dually do not dust bad at all. Guess RAM switched suppliers since mine was built. Of course, the first thing I do upon starting the truck is activate the exhaust brake! I use it even when running empty. The service brakes are only for the final stop.
I use my exhaust brake almost all the time as well. I don't know why Ben was always telling me I didn't need one. These things are great!
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, HOSS said:
On 9/19/2018 at 7:11 AM, donyo said:

I use my exhaust brake almost all the time as well. I don't know why Ben was always telling me I didn't need one. These things are great!

Ours also come on and off depending on traction. Gravel roads and washboard? No problem. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, HOSS said:
On 9/19/2018 at 7:11 AM, donyo said:

I will never again tow heavy without an exhaust brake.

I just installed the pads I bought from Brake Performance, per suggestions from  here, only a couple miles on them but so far I like them a lot. I also bought the kit with the caliper pin boots and clips.

i just installed ebay slotted rotors and ceramic pads on the front, and the rears are on the way. was $114 dollars for the fronts and $117 for the rears.i hate brake dust.i will have an opinion after hunting season is over,they will get tested towing in the next 2 months.i usually run performance friction carbon metallic pads and like them alot.but with the exhaust brake im not nearly as hard on brakes anymore.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nakamoto-Performance-Drilled-Slotted-Brake-Rotor-Posi-Ceramic-Pad-Front-Set/311392392887?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144

• Like 1

Leadfoot ... heads up ... watch the rotors for cracking closely , the drilled ones have a propensity for cracks  .... that's the reason I got the slotted and dimpled ones

14 hours ago, GTroyer said:

Leadfoot ... heads up ... watch the rotors for cracking closely , the drilled ones have a propensity for cracks  .... that's the reason I got the slotted and dimpled ones

thanks for the heads up i will keep an eye on them.

wow that a good price for brakes and pads,

I just changed to running Performance brakes and rotors, for the price, they are a lot cheaper than my ECB.  ECB are the best pad out there. those there nearly twice the price.

the rear stuff showed up today,rotors,pads and e-brake shoes.turns out i have a bad axle seal on the passenger side.that would be why my e-brake barely works!...the e-brake shoes looked close to new.so i got the drivers side done this evening.changed the e-brake shoes anyways...ordered a seal on amazon,national brand,about half the cost of the parts store.im busy the next few days probably wont get back to it till monday.

Hoss, the very best disc brake pads I've ever used are those Carbon Kevlar ones I installed on my Ram at 90k.  Can't remember the company's name but they advertise in TDR ("Got Brakes?").  Even though the pads are coal black in color they do not dust up and they stop like an anchor was thrown out (only smoother)!

• Like 1

Hoss, the very best disc brake pads I've ever used are those Carbon Kevlar ones I installed on my Ram at 90k.  Can't remember the company's name but they advertise in TDR ("Got Brakes?").  Even though the pads are coal black in color they do not dust up and they stop like an anchor was thrown out (only smoother)!
Holy great to see you post John!!!! Thanks for the info.

I love remembering brake conversations with John....

John, Hey what do you like about your new truck best?

Paul, The brakes.

John, darn it..... LOL  I consider myself the final push to his disc brake conversion..

We were at Rob's when this happened. Rob came up to me later and said I couldn't have given a more perfect answer...LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

After getting my rotors turned, these were O Reilly oem replacement rotors nothing special, and installing the Performance Brake ceramic pads I'm really happy with them. There is minimal brake dust so far, they don't stop quite as good as the EBC pads I had, but that could be the rotors, or a combination of both. Regardless I am happy with the pads and how the truck stops. I'll buy from them again.

update on my cheap brakes..lol  have a couple trips on them now,chinook pass towing a couple times, and to omak and back,rotors still true, not impressed with the brake pads though,they just feel like they lack braking power.hot or not.gonna go with some better pads on all 4 corners.

so many choices out there :( many are marginal pads unfortunately ... would seem to me the standards should tighten up of manufactures on what they can put out TSB needs to be more effective with the standards. But it seems those positions are filled by greenies and not by knowledgeable engineers with vehicle safety backgrounds MHO here . seems like they are more focused on electric cars and clean air regulations.

i will probably go with what i have used in the past on my other dodges.. performance friction carbon metallic pads.

BTW, I received the latest edition of the TDR and saw the brand of brakes I installed advertised in the magazine.  They are EGR.

Still, I've never used better disc brake pads than their carbon Kevlar units!

It's always a pleasure to see you post, John.  :rk: