SMOKN05

Rear diff covers put to the test!

I've been following this test that Gale Banks is doing and anxiously waiting for the results! I love the scientific effort he's putting into the testing procedure. I should have been a design engineer, I love that stuff. Anyway, the first video is sort of long, the second is rather long and really he doesn't offer any results just yet. He said they'll be done mid sept and share part 3, the final results. So if you want to wait for that, I'll post it when its done. In the meantime, if you have time, its pretty good watching.

Part 2

The authority on Bling himself....

I could have saved him a bunch of time if I would have data logged all of my miles driven with the MHT and stock diff covers. I never saw anything close to 300deg in the diff or trans and that was with heavy loads going over all the local passes. He definitely has a point when it comes to fluid dynamics and the flow of the oil around the ring gear and cover. After watching temps on my own truck for over a year I got rid of the gauges because there was no need for them as the temps never got high enough to worry about. The Dana in my 97 was never apart for any kind of bearing work and my 04.5 never had a failure of any kind. With the info and real-world miles under my belt, I wouldn't buy an aftermarket cover.

Once he has completed this test, can he do another with a product he produces that cost far too much money. Intake elbows comes to mind. After that he can take a crack at inner coolers. Easy to throw stones when you don't have any stake in the game.

I guess I appreciate his testing as a lot of the questions he is asking I am curious myself. I would also like to see him throw a chrome stamped cover in the mix. It really bothered me when he brought up there prices and question effectiveness int he first video. I have asked the exact same question about many of his products.

• Like 1

never the less interesting video's Shawn , looking forward to the post of the next one 

BTW .. I have Mag Hytec's on both ends of my rig and have for many many years. not that that means much except for the interest.

Here's how I look at it. Whether or not I like his products, Gale Banks is no dummy. I like the effort he's putting into this test to try and get what seems like accurate unbiased results. I'll save judgement on his bias until after I see his final results. So far this test doesn't feel like I'm being advertised to or sold something. I hope the last part is the same way. If it turns into "we make this new cover and it tested the best" well then I'll show my typical skepticism. 

But in the meantime, my opinion on Banks parts and their pricing doesn't invalidate this current testing process. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SMOKN05 said:

Here's how I look at it. Whether or not I like his products, Gale Banks is no dummy. I like the effort he's putting into this test to try and get what seems like accurate unbiased results. I'll save judgement on his bias until after I see his final results. So far this test doesn't feel like I'm being advertised to or sold something. I hope the last part is the same way. If it turns into "we make this new cover and it tested the best" well then I'll show my typical skepticism. 

But in the meantime, my opinion on Banks parts and their pricing doesn't invalidate this current testing process. 

Very well articulated Shawn. I wish I could put my thought down like that. I agree completely.

20 hours ago, Torque Monkey said:

Once he has completed this test, can he do another with a product he produces that cost far too much money. Intake elbows comes to mind. After that he can take a crack at inner coolers. Easy to throw stones when you don't have any stake in the game.

I guess I appreciate his testing as a lot of the questions he is asking I am curious myself. I would also like to see him throw a chrome stamped cover in the mix. It really bothered me when he brought up there prices and question effectiveness int he first video. I have asked the exact same question about many of his products.

Have you seen this one?

Edited by DRobinson

If your looking to burn some time here's another where he talks about boost. Sorry for the thread jack and I'm by no means pushing banks products but his videos are very interesting. I didn't realize that he was involved with the military until I watched this Boost video.

2 hours ago, DRobinson said:

Have you seen this one?

This video makes me ask all sorts of questions.... First, why wasn't the test done on a test engine on the dyno? I could have told you the results just by looking at them with a flow bench being used. The prices are certainly cheaper for the Banks stuff compared to the others than i have seen in past. Where did they get that pricing? He sure made sure to spend some time trashing the pusher intake. I really like how it is rusty. Is he losing a lot of his market to them? I bet he is. All in all, I just don't like his style of marketing. If I had his resources I would love to test everything in the manner he is. But the outcome of this test doesn't surprise me one bit.

I don't think this video is near as interesting as the test he is doing on the diff covers. I would like to see dyno curves for each.

One thing I think is really interesting is, in this video Gale is openly saying he is marketing a product, that can only be installed when the vehicles factory emission system has been removed (EGR). Even more interesting coming from a California based Company. And even more amazing than that, is that a large protion of Banks projects are funded by Government Grants and special projects.

3 hours ago, DRobinson said:

If your looking to burn some time here's another where he talks about boost. Sorry for the thread jack and I'm by no means pushing banks products but his videos are very interesting. I didn't realize that he was involved with the military until I watched this Boost video.

I do think this is a great video.

I put an intake temp gauge on the Rat because I was wondering what was going on. It is a huge learning experience.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Torque Monkey said:

This video makes me ask all sorts of questions.... First, why wasn't the test done on a test engine on the dyno? I could have told you the results just by looking at them with a flow bench being used. The prices are certainly cheaper for the Banks stuff compared to the others than i have seen in past. Where did they get that pricing? He sure made sure to spend some time trashing the pusher intake. I really like how it is rusty. Is he losing a lot of his market to them? I bet he is. All in all, I just don't like his style of marketing. If I had his resources I would love to test everything in the manner he is. But the outcome of this test doesn't surprise me one bit.

I don't think this video is near as interesting as the test he is doing on the diff covers. I would like to see dyno curves for each.

One thing I think is really interesting is, in this video Gale is openly saying he is marketing a product, that can only be installed when the vehicles factory emission system has been removed (EGR). Even more interesting coming from a California based Company. And even more amazing than that, is that a large protion of Banks projects are funded by Government Grants and special projects.

Those are some great questions. I'm fairly confident you know why he didn't use a dyno :right:

A 6.7 liter is only going to flow X amount of CFM....period. so when your intake elbow exceeds the maximum CFM that the engine will ever use is a waste. Also, a system under pressure acts differently than a system under vacuum. It looks like he just tested air flow, at what PSI does the CFM become moot?

1 hour ago, livingez_123 said:

A 6.7 liter is only going to flow X amount of CFM....period. so when your intake elbow exceeds the maximum CFM that the engine will ever use is a waste. Also, a system under pressure acts differently than a system under vacuum. It looks like he just tested air flow, at what PSI does the CFM become moot?

The real question is, at what temperature does the CFM flat line? His test on the intakes is missing a lot of variables. After a certain point the PSI means nothing, depending on what turbos are being used.

The whole idea of testing stuff like this could be really interesting. I am with Shawn, I would love to play with some of the different products that are out there and give unbiased results. Youtube is an awesome platform for this type of program. For example, Russ asking about the best set up to run on a VP truck. It would be fun to play with a dyno and vary loads, with results in not only peak power but towing ability and drive ability.

I need to find some investors and get a chassis dyno installed.🤔

• Like 1

The whole idea of testing stuff like this could be really interesting. I am with Shawn, I would love to play with some of the different products that are out there and give unbiased results. Youtube is an awesome platform for this type of program. For example, Russ asking about the best set up to run on a VP truck. It would be fun to play with a dyno and vary loads, with results in not only peak power but towing ability and drive ability.

I need to find some investors and get a chassis dyno installed.
I got a dollar :ninja:

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

If my math is correct, a 6.7L engine operating at 700RPMS consumes 82.838105CFM of air.

48 minutes ago, Austin The DieselTech said:

If my math is correct, a 6.7L engine operating at 700RPMS consumes 82.838105CFM of air.

At 14.7 psi manifold absolute pressure and 60*F?

At 14.7 psi manifold absolute pressure and 60*F?
That is just running the CUIN displacement converted to CFM at a specific RPM. Atmospheric pressure, tempature, and humidity are not factored in.

6 minutes ago, Austin The DieselTech said:

That is just running the CUIN displacement converted to CFM at a specific RPM. Atmospheric pressure, tempature, and humidity are not factored in.

But the intakes he was working with Are designed specifically for a turbocharged engine. This means that the engine displacement and RPM are one factor in the CFM flow through the intake in question, but not nearly where the equation would end. The turbocharger makes the CFM calculation based on displacement and RPM, much, much more complicated.

But the intakes he was working with Are designed specifically for a turbocharged engine. This means that the engine displacement and RPM are one factor in the CFM flow through the intake in question, but not nearly where the equation would end. The turbocharger makes the CFM calculation based on displacement and RPM, much, much more complicated.
I agree and understand that. I guess I should have noted that is just base flow with no turbocharger.

12 hours ago, Torque Monkey said:

And this is why if it ain't broke...don't fix it!

Unless you plan on racing it and want every last bit of power possible. After a while, most common owners just get tired of looking at numbers and want real wold dring data that fits there application. 

idk, I could be doing it all wrong!

And this is why if it ain't broke...don't fix it!
Unless you plan on racing it and want every last bit of power possible. After a while, most common owners just get tired of looking at numbers and want real wold dring data that fits there application. 
idk, I could be doing it all wrong!

Still running factory intake on my 6.7. Kinda like the grid heater delete.