Sign in to follow this  
Abbyfireguy

Sockeye opening

Just found out that The Fraser River opens for sockeye next Tuesday August 7th until Sept 3rd.

The gong show begins!

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I never look forward to the crowds of morons when sockeye open.

People with boats that are not seaworthy, lots of folks displaying little if any ethics ,and just plain rude nasty behavior.

If I go out I will look for somewhere I can anchor with a bit of elbow room and catch my 2 socks and leave.

If it’s too crowded and crazy I will just go home without launching.

Dont need sockeye that bad to put up with much BS this year.

I must be turning into a grumpy old fart in my old age...

Well that sucks. But at least you do get to fish for them. I understand about the morons. At least you guys get to fish for Sockeye. In the US here they come out for Humpies. OMG are there some really stupid people out there and just for a Humpy?  

Mark you Dave and I need to plan a day and go. 

love your thoughts about fishing with crowds , I'm very sure there are several of us here that feel that way

a great fishery in N. Calif used to be heaven but for many years not worth fishing  ....  Klamath River unless your many  miles up stream and fishing Steel Head during the week when most are working  ... Salmon not worth it too many A-HOLES 

I haven't fished there in many a year but have been in the area during season and seen the wars

8 hours ago, stroketeck said:

got one soc today at sandheads

:ThumbsUP:Gotta love them good eating fish!! 

I really miss the Baker Lake Sockeye fishery. I went several times the first year it was open and did very well and very few boats. The next year was not terrible but a lot more people were coming out. I went once the third year and called it quits. I cant deal with combat fishing. a 16ft boat with 5 guys and 10 poles in the water???????? and 100 boats in a area the size a football field. No thank you. 

1 hour ago, carl20320 said:

Fresh fillets at Costco - $7.99/lb.  Just saying  :bunker:

Still aren't as fresh, or taste near the same.

Just saying.

........ and they tend to get upset if you hook one and reel it across the store.

• Like 1

........ and they tend to get upset if you hook one and reel it across the store.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

5 minutes ago, marksmith said:

Don't I know it. 

I don't know, there were two groups fishing in the seafood bin at the Vancouver store last week.  No one seemed to notice.  :right:

Know anything about the Jordan River on Vancouver Island?  We were thinking about running across from Sekiu and fishing there.  It's a 16 mile run across.

Headed out at 8 this morning. Got a call from another retired firefighter out on the river yesterday who did well.

His wife has been fighting through some chemo and said holding a fishing rod with a fish on the end would sure be nice.

So, she’s coming with us too... Hope the sockeye fishing eases her side effects from the chemo!

She’s a really sweet lady all the time anyways..

Sorry, worn out from all the fun... 

Monday was pretty good. I got my limit in an hour.

Larry and Lorine each brought 1 home but lost at least 4 more at the boat trying to net them .

Long leaders make for near impossible netting from a boat...

I slipped over the side when we first anchored to cast from the beach. 

I thought it was knee deep water!! Wrong!! Up to my neck!!

A real refreshing wake up dip.LOL..

Today I popped out for a quick solo trip and had my two socks in an hour.

Played with a big spring for twenty minutes until,he got tired of me and bit the line off!

My wife is actually coming out fishing tomorrow. That will be interesting... 

I will have to give her the old spinning setup. Don’t want her to loose my good rod... 

The arthritis in her hands is pretty bad now and I don’t know if she can hold a rod long enough playing a fish!

attach it to her waist with a lanyard , when she drops it you'll be able to retrieve it ..... 'course she might be suspicious of you  LOL

Good to hear some fish are being caught. I plan on coming up tomorrow and depending on how we do, again on Friday. 

We use long leaders also, but use very small 50lb swivels. Cannon ball sinkers with swivel clasp. Once the sinker gets close, we take the sinker off and the small barrel swivel reels up through the eyelets so you can get the fish close. 

There was a commercial opening yesterday so today may be slow??

Yesterday was a long day. My good wife shock me completely.

She caught on to casting the big spinning reel very quickly and even waded into the river up to her hips.

Fishing was slow but Maryanne caught her limit ,the last one was a male that was one of the largest I have seen...

A fisheries officer who watched her catch the fish came over and looked at the fish. He said it was one of the biggest bucks

you would see in The Fraser! He took scale and brain samples for analysis...

To top the day off, I landed no socks!! 

My ego has taken a beating with all the teasing. I’m ok with that though!

She is definitely suffering today with her arthritic hands isn’t complaing much.