HOSS

Doin outside work

This is my little weekend project I got 90% finished Sunday. I had to get the trackhoe back today so it had be done Sunday.

The first half of each day wasn't bad but once the sun cleared the trees it was too dang hot! I was drinking water as fast as I could and couldn't keep up. Saturday afternoon I got so overheated I just walked down to the creek and did the nestea plunge in the deepest part I could find. Felt great till my clothes dried out and did it again.

I was by myself and positioning 1,600lbs blocks by yourself is a pain. The wall is 8'x55' and has 30 yards of 3/4" clean crushed rock backfill in it and a 12" base of the same. It has a 4" perforated drain pipe behind the first layer of block.

The slope from the house twards the creek was getting worse and worse due to moles digging holes and dogs digging mole holes. Now I can have a level back yard. I still have the 2 middle block and 2 top blocks to go on the far side then the top caps go on. I am tired!!!!

d279e7d31654e973aa388ff9f59afd37.jpg2a39928b3fe14b3b5e0b32356767647c.jpgd104ee1bac55e90e2df9b65b06c462bf.jpg1f7c21f5c9420e63617bf15287a96d82.jpg35cf883d38bac77bff5dda03265fd8a3.jpgdfe2d501432a44f92e397fae6affbb2b.jpged30a4405885d50518eac3704672141f.jpgecf213332e25272f56f2594a7e3c2e97.jpgb2f8b53e39f94604627555625d82f927.jpg

Awesome! Now I can see the pictures. You do pretty good work. It could be better......:pot_stirrer:😁

Very nice, where did you get the blocks? How where they delivered and unloaded?
They are called Redi rock and my local Smokey point concrete plant had them. They delivered two loads on 40' semi trailers I used a Deere 50 trackhoe to unload them.
My tractor will pick them up and move them around but I needed the trackhoe to place them.
  • Like 1

Looks great Hoss !!!

i needed to do that at my shop but no worries now lol

Wow, that looks great! I didn't know they made cement blocks that stack and look like a rock wall when done. That's pretty neat. I helped build a rock wall 25yrs ago and it was nothing but dump trucks full of busted up boulders. It was like a puzzle. A big giant pain in the A$$ puzzle! Haha 

19 minutes ago, SMOKN05 said:

Wow, that looks great! I didn't know they made cement blocks that stack and look like a rock wall when done. That's pretty neat. I helped build a rock wall 25yrs ago and it was nothing but dump trucks full of busted up boulders. It was like a puzzle. A big giant pain in the A$$ puzzle! Haha 

Kelly knows how to work that puzzle and make it his beach!🤣

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SMOKN05 said:

they also make them with a river rock front [rounded rock] 

• Like 1

Very nice work Hoss. 101F and 12% humidity here today. Not exactly working outside weather, you lose a lot of water really fast. More like lake (or creek) weather. 

It was over 90° both days and I put in 5:00am to 7-8 pm hours both days. Drank more water than I ever thought I could hold.
Here is few more pictures. Tomorrow I go get the last two middle blocks and then I can put them and the last two top blocks on and finish the gravel backfill and start adding topsoil.

334e9c489f08680592a9286755fa4001.jpgc0a6da2115dc7414c8dcd22589c50b08.jpg1fda7111d24637a17b5a72a5e7e8f315.jpg76a95c91aa60e0b2f7529ab9b8a4aec3.jpg

• Like 1

Man that made me tired just looking at it, can't even imagine doing it for real. Sure looks good though.

I got the last two middle blocks and the two half caps that I was missing so the wall is now complete less the top caps which need to be installed with construction adhesive and I need a cap clamp to put them on which the place I bought the blocks will let me borrow but all their clamps are out right now so they are trying to get me one. I set the two half caps in place on dunnage to see how they will look.
1a24e470e1ffe3de78b9a6a49a4216b2.jpg89676e1be30c52733c2555e02cd646a9.jpg46e15ebd236eb07f9c04ec51e18cffca.jpgf10e31d330d9a724737da5061eeacd22.jpga472bdd0ec05ed0c8f08f66b3ebf1deb.jpg432bbd499556dcc0a5ba4efc88ab62ac.jpg

Before and after
Now I just need to add some topsoil and level everything out I am going to till the entire back yard and get it all looking right 71b5073bd9786e03bbd936c41cc86e4c.jpg3fef59b2c5e8f796dc0bdbe7d9c6910e.jpg

• Like 1

Those two caps on top at each end of the wall will go the entire length when it's done. The whole caps are 400lbs each I don't feel like horsing them around so I will wait till I have the cap clamp and use the tractor to put them on.

• Like 1

Do you hire out?

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

LOL if I did piece work I would starve to death. I am too cheap to pay some of else to do it and too anal and slow to make any money at it.
  • Like 1

That looks really nice.  I kinda like projects like that.  

Running equipment is always fun for me.  All except mowing this darn field at my father in laws. Dusty Fkn mess

Is the wall construction your design? Did you have to have it engineered? Or is there a standard set of guidelines for a retaining wall using those particular blocks?

5 hours ago, Woodenhead said:

Is the wall construction your design? Did you have to have it engineered? Or is there a standard set of guidelines for a retaining wall using those particular blocks?

Any wall over 4' in Snohomish county has to be engineered. The Redi Rock is made to curve in either direction and they have different sizes depending on the height of the wall and the ground conditions and weather or not you need geo grid I did not need geo grid.. The blocks themselves are cool because the design of them each row sets itself back a couple inches from the row below it and they use the weight of the material pushing against it to help lock them in place. 

I have a 12" base of 3/4 clean crushed rock and a 4' perforated pipe drain behind the first row of bottom blocks then a 12' minimum backfill space all filled with 3/4 clean crushed rock for drainage. There is 30 yards of rock used as backfill. 

• Like 1

Redi rock also has a installation guide that explains in detail how to properly build a Redi rock wall
It comes in two designs cobblestone which is what I have and ledgestone.
They quit making limestone and one other type a while ago.
Here is a link https://www.redi-rock.com/

3 hours ago, HOSS said:

Any wall over 4' in Snohomish county has to be engineered. The Redi Rock is made to curve in either direction and they have different sizes depending on the height of the wall and the ground conditions and weather or not you need geo grid I did not need geo grid.. The blocks themselves are cool because the design of them each row sets itself back a couple inches from the row below it and they use the weight of the material pushing against it to help lock them in place. 

I have a 12" base of 3/4 clean crushed rock and a 4' perforated pipe drain behind the first row of bottom blocks then a 12' minimum backfill space all filled with 3/4 clean crushed rock for drainage. There is 30 yards of rock used as backfill. 

That's an awesome product! Not a cheap project but at least you know it's done right, not like all the half ass failing retaining walls we see all over.  Nice that the supplier is in your neighborhood too.