Sign in to follow this  
HOSS

Paint chips on the 2014

So I am wanting to clay bar and wax the new truck but I have a few (more like a dozen or more) chips in the paint. Mostly the typical front fenders and hood rock chips and I would like to deal with them sooner rather than later. I dont just want to buy some touch up paint to fill the chips with it so that it can continue to rust under the touch up paint but I am not sure how to properly prepare such a small spot and I am not sanding it down and re painting it. 

Any suggestions? 

This is what Dr Colorchip has for your truck...

https://www.drcolorchip.com/select-product.php

What you could do is clean the spots you have best you can without removing the paint, then apply a small amount of primer with a tiny brush or toothpick, then go over it with the dr colorchip kit. That will do two things, stop any rust, and it "should" bring the paint closer to the right thickness. The dr colorchip kit puts color in the paint chip, it doesn't fill it unless you do several applications. 

Edited by megacabcummins

18 minutes ago, megacabcummins said:

This is what Dr Colorchip has for your truck...

https://www.drcolorchip.com/select-product.php

How well does this work?  I have one big chip on my drivers door that happened when an oncoming car kicked up a rock.  Truck had 700 miles on it at the time.   

There's quite a few people on autogeek with some pretty nice show cars that use it with some pretty respectable results. It won't fix your paint to show quality, but it will put color in the paint chip.

I repaired mine with Mopar touchup paint.  It has an abrasive tip that lets you scrub away and feather the edges.  Then apply with pen or brush. Has color and clear all in one kit.

When I got my truck it had some huge scratches in it. I had really good luck with Mopar touch up paint like Mark suggested. I then wet sanded and clear coated the area. That being said most of the job went perfect. Some of it did not and I got to try my hand at painting a fender and a door. I have never been happy with it. But it is what it is....

I repaired mine with Mopar touchup paint.  It has an abrasive tip that lets you scrub away and feather the edges.  Then apply with pen or brush. Has color and clear all in one kit.

Cool I will check it out!

When I worked in body shop we would clean with grease and wax remover then use paper match sticks to fill chips lightly wet sand with 4000 grit then wax and buff 

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this