HOSS

Holy here we go again Batman!!!!!

On ‎7‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 9:30 PM, Torque Monkey said:

Reason 1 million to have a lift.

c898b1e8d89b429f818124947afbc0b7.jpg

Can some one give me the torque spec on this.🤣🤣

21119850f314ff639033e4b15846bdc5.jpg

4c882e350a6882bcffab6f6c83dcda53.jpg

The block for the spare motor is stripped. It had a broken piston ring on #2 and a broken oil scraper ring on #3. I bet both would clean up with a hone job. I will call Castle Machine tomorrow and make an appointment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hey I don't remember leaving that stuff in there but it was a long time ago that I had the valve cover of that engine last.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ram2pete said:

Hey I don't remember leaving that stuff in there but it was a long time ago that I had the valve cover of that engine last.

I think some one installed it for you.

Picked up the block from Castle Machine. It looks great! It was just a little more than half of what I thought it would cost to have it checked, qualified and bored 0.20” over on all cylinders. That was a nice surprise.

bc26b63d7d2c55f833e2941b0adda442.jpg

I will pick up the rebuild kit later...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DRobinson said:

Very nice, did you have them hot tank it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Yup!

Yup!
Nice! Glad to hear they can do that too!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

I love it when a plan comes together!!!!!!! 

Well... it’s been a while since I have updated the progress. That’s because there hasn’t been any, until today.

It was the number 4 piston that tried to size in Hoss’s truck. We don’t know for sure what caused it but Hoss is pretty sure the oil squirted got plugged again. He should know. LOL! He is the resident expert on the phenomenon.

Any how, we are using a different block, crank and rods. All the pistons except number 4 will be reused. I cleaned most all of the parts this evening. I need to take the pistons and rods back apart again as I had no oil (of the right type) for assembly lube. It was easier to assemble the rods and pistons just so they didn’t get mixed up.

It’s all down hill now....

47644e52d8f2ddadf7691a1a2f60dad3.jpg

1dcf090e9902295ecd3695c272ef29ba.jpg

If anyone is in the neighborhood I could use an extra had to put the crank in. If not I think I will break out the cherry picker. I lifted it out on my own but it took everything I had to do it and I really don’t want to damage the bearings dropping it back in.

I would very much appreciate the help.

I also fixed another issue. This block had compound turbos installed when it was removed. This meant that the rear oil drain bung needed to be plugged since Hoss truck only has one turbo. So I fried this up...

a851ba43ce191baec6ee4e7cd4e2c898.jpg

Problem solved!

e9bda85a6d3deec38e2ec2f02858ad72.jpg

I’m a lot nicer than Cummins. My plug has a 3/8 bolt hole tapped in the end so it will be easy to remove. In case things get crazy in the future. Some one will thank me one day. LOL!

• Like 1

I will pick up oil tomorrow after work and see if I can’t pack some of these smaller parts into the bigger parts.

• Like 1

I use permatex ultra slick for assembly. It’s super sticky and doesn’t run too much. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, marksmith said:

I use permatex ultra slick for assembly. It’s super sticky and doesn’t run too much. 

4 hours ago, stroketeck said:

i use royal purple assembly lube

Maybe thats my problem I use the cheepo tube of white assembly lube......... 

hope you have better luck with that style ring compressor than I have , of course it's been many a year since I have assembled an engine but never liked that style compressor

if I was there Ben I'd be all over giving you a hand ... but I'm not near ya sorry

how well does that O ring style plug hold with crank case pressure ??   assume well .. I have never seen one like that.and I really don't know what pressure our engines produce either so there's that LOL

Ben, I have a pretty full week but can try to get over there. 

Saturday would probably the best for me

10 hours ago, Torque Monkey said:

If anyone is in the neighborhood I could use an extra had to put the crank in. If not I think I will break out the cherry picker. I lifted it out on my own but it took everything I had to do it and I really don’t want to damage the bearings dropping it back in.

Sent you a text.  Name the day.  Tonight, tomorrow, ...

1 hour ago, Bob V said:

Ben, I have a pretty full week but can try to get over there. 

Saturday would probably the best for me

I appreciate it Bob. I knew you would be willing to help. We are leaving for the weekend so I am trying to get it done before that. It will sit till schedules align.

Also, I rebuilt your transmission jack last night. Works perfectly now!👍

15 minutes ago, carl20320 said:

Sent you a text.  Name the day.  Tonight, tomorrow, ...

Text sent back Carl. Thanks! I knew you would be the other to respond.

2 hours ago, GTroyer said:

hope you have better luck with that style ring compressor than I have , of course it's been many a year since I have assembled an engine but never liked that style compressor

if I was there Ben I'd be all over giving you a hand ... but I'm not near ya sorry

how well does that O ring style plug hold with crank case pressure ??   assume well .. I have never seen one like that.and I really don't know what pressure our engines produce either so there's that LOL

Those ring compressors work well. Just a little tricky to get the hang of. Most people want to crank them down tight and that is not the idea. My favorite style ring compressor is a funnel, but you have to be careful with those also, really easy to break a ring. But they are a great way to oil the piston on the way in.

As for the plug... the issue you mentioned was my major concern. Normally overall pressure isn't the biggest problem as the Cummins has a pretty large atmosphere vent, it's the pulses. I purposely machined this plug very tight for the exact reason you mentioned. I then added another O-ring to be sure it wouldn't come out. I had to grease it and tap it in with a hammer. I could not get it in by hand. I don't think it is going anywhere... I could be wrong.

9 hours ago, marksmith said:

9 hours ago, stroketeck said:

i use royal purple assembly lube

4 hours ago, HOSS said:

Maybe thats my problem I use the cheepo tube of white assembly lube......... 

In all the years that i have assembled engines, the only assembly lube i have ever used was engine oil, except for the cam. On the big engines we use engine oil but on they all have roller followers there is really no need for concern. They all also have pre-lube pumps so you have oil pressure before the engine even starts. Like Hoss mentioned, I have only used the cheap white stuff on the cams. I am open to something new. I will look for the stuff you Guys mentioned and give it a try.

I very much respect and appreciate all 3 of your opinions. Keep them coming cause I don't want Hoss or anyone to go through this again.

Take your time, when my part plays into this I'd like to go about the last week in January. Hope for February or March.   Tax Time...

1 hour ago, Torque Monkey said:

Text sent back Carl. Thanks! I knew you would be the other to respond.

I"ll be by this evening.

1 hour ago, C Paul Go said:

Take your time, when my part plays into this I'd like to go about the last week in January. Hope for February or March.   Tax Time...

Noted!

1 hour ago, carl20320 said:

I"ll be by this evening.

Thanks Carl!