HOSS

Holy here we go again Batman!!!!!

34 minutes ago, marksmith said:

My guess is MAHLE ring decided to self upgrade to a 3 piece design.

This is my guess also. No sign of the piston melting from heat.

16 minutes ago, DRobinson said:

If you don't mind me asking, who are you using for machine work?

I am am going to talk to Bob Castle at Castle Machine in Longview, WA.

3 hours ago, marksmith said:

been my guess all along also

5 minutes ago, Torque Monkey said:

I am am going to talk to Bob Castle at Castle Machine in Longview, WA.

Let me know what you find out. I'd much rather drive to longview than go north! 

1 minute ago, DRobinson said:

Let me know what you find out. I'd much rather drive to longview than go north! 

Roger that!

7 hours ago, marksmith said:

Heads up for future use. 

Servicecaster.com

You’re welcome. 

thank you !!!!! believe you just solved a ladder issue for me , been looking for self lowering casters on my rolling ladder 2 of 4 are AFU

18 hours ago, Torque Monkey said:

Thanks for the offer Guys but I was giving it some thought last night and i think I am going to buy the one that Mark posted. At the rate I am going I should have one anyhow. Plus, i really hate borrowing peoples stuff. I am always afraid something bad will happen.

FYI, July 4th HF has a 25% off coupon.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, marksmith said:

Based on my experience I would agree.

12 hours ago, rubystargoats said:

But is the piston all there? Or did it melt off under the rings?

I have not removed the pistons yet but generally no. There may be a little damage to the skirt of the piston and if a ring is broken the ring land around that ring will be damaged but for the most part the piston will be intact. Excessive EGT's melt pistons scored cylinders do not. FOR THE MOST PART! This does not mean if if a cylinder is scored and the engine continues to run that the piston will not melt. 

i have seen many broken rings, but excessive blow by was the tell tale, never a piston knock 
And excessive blow by is what I have been complaining about for quite a while. At some point something has to give.

I'm glad your deciding to give her power again.  Value will nearly be 3x what it would have been.

5 hours ago, carl20320 said:

FYI, July 4th HF has a 25% off coupon.

i picked one up after work yesterday. We will be in Oregon over the 4th. I did you a 20% off coupon on my phone though.🤘

1 hour ago, Torque Monkey said:

i picked one up after work yesterday. We will be in Oregon over the 4th. I did you a 20% off coupon on my phone though.🤘

Read the fine print on the coupon. They do have exceptions to the 20% off.

Pro tip.  The email 20% coupons sometimes have a redemption code that can only be used once.  The ones in the magazines area all the same and can be used over and over and over and...

Usually when I get a new boating magazine I just snap a picture of the coupon.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, HOSS said:

I have not removed the pistons yet but generally no. There may be a little damage to the skirt of the piston and if a ring is broken the ring land around that ring will be damaged but for the most part the piston will be intact. Excessive EGT's melt pistons scored cylinders do not. FOR THE MOST PART! This does not mean if if a cylinder is scored and the engine continues to run that the piston will not melt. 

Understand and I do not have much diesel experience and no Dodge experiance but I have had several gassers with scored cylinders caused by pistons melting out behind the rings in spots and not showing on the crown. Didn't know if diesels would do the same.

5 hours ago, donyo said:

Read the fine print on the coupon. They do have exceptions to the 20% off.

I just made sure I got $26.00 off and called it good!🙌

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

From what I have heard Castle does good work ,just expensive. I like Shap's, but he doesn't do diesel. I have heard there is a good machine shop in Chehalis.

Understand and I do not have much diesel experience and no Dodge experiance but I have had several gassers with scored cylinders caused by pistons melting out behind the rings in spots and not showing on the crown. Didn't know if diesels would do the same.

The one engine I tore down that had a piston with a broken ring had much worse scoring than this one and the area around the ring land had melted a little in that area. The skirt and rest of the piston were fine.
The engine I tore down that had a plugged cooling jet had significant scoring but the piston was not melted just gouged and the ring lands were broken in a couple spots but not melted.
The first gen engine I tore down that pitched a fan blade a lost all it's coolant had melted #6 so badly that the top of the piston was a blob of molten metal and it actually melted the injector tip! The valves were deforming from the heat and downpipe was coated with aluminum.

Reason 1 million to have a lift.

c898b1e8d89b429f818124947afbc0b7.jpg

Can some one give me the torque spec on this.🤣🤣

21119850f314ff639033e4b15846bdc5.jpg

4c882e350a6882bcffab6f6c83dcda53.jpg

The block for the spare motor is stripped. It had a broken piston ring on #2 and a broken oil scraper ring on #3. I bet both would clean up with a hone job. I will call Castle Machine tomorrow and make an appointment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

That would be great if it just needed a hone!! 

5 hours ago, Torque Monkey said:

Reason 1 million to have a lift.

c898b1e8d89b429f818124947afbc0b7.jpg

Can some one give me the torque spec on this.🤣🤣

21119850f314ff639033e4b15846bdc5.jpg

4c882e350a6882bcffab6f6c83dcda53.jpg

The block for the spare motor is stripped. It had a broken piston ring on #2 and a broken oil scraper ring on #3. I bet both would clean up with a hone job. I will call Castle Machine tomorrow and make an appointment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Is that like the stuffing a rear diff full of sawdust to get it home? 

Looks like Never-Dull. I think he's trying to polish the inside of the valve cover one cylinder at a time.

Correction, Bill Castle. Turns out he is my neighbor. He live on top of the hill right above my house. Anyhow, I dropped off the block with him today. He is convinced that the block will have to go .020 over. He doesn’t think honing will clean up #2. We will see. Bill is also ordering the rebuild kit for me.

F6915C7C-37D4-427C-A06E-4580167B5B97.jpeg

Here is the block on the way to the shop. Several people (that I trust) have told me that Castle machineknows what they are doing with these blocks. I hope it works out well. Would be nice to have a local Guy I can trust. 

Seemed nice enough and and we talked for about an hour.

• Like 1