HOSS

Holy here we go again Batman!!!!!

Yesterday Ben came over and we pulled the head off my 02 to see where the damage was. Number 4 is lightly scored and no other obvious issues could be seen. Head gasket is fine.

Ben went home with my spare engine and the head from the 02. Babes engine is 0.020 over and I have a 5 more good 0.020 over pistons exactly like the ones in Babe so the plan is bore the spare engine 0.020 over and get a rebuild kit with all the gaskets and a set of rings. I will pull the Stage 3 Colt cam and tappets and all the bolt on goodies off babe to put on the spare engine. We will get 6 good pistons from the 10 0.020 moly pistons I have and assemble a fresh rotating assembly and put the head from Babe back on and the Colt cam as well as the DDP injectors and valve train.

Ben is going to handle the disassembly of the spare engine and getting the machine work done while I remove the bad engine and tear it down and prepare Babe for her 5th heart transplant. Once we have a complete engine Ben will bring it back up and we will install it then get Babe ready for sale.

Ben wanted to do the engine work that I had no interest in doing and a running truck is by far the most profitable (boy is that a contradiction in terms!) way to get rid of the truck. So here we go. This is not on any kind of timeline and we are not in a rush to make this happen so when it's ready it will be ready.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

• Like 2

Everything is unloaded and in the shop. Been looking at engine stands this evening. Gonna get by the machine shop this week and see what we are looking at.

Harbor freight engine stand is actually a nice piece. I cannot seem to snag mine back from the shop. It’s preferred over the high dollar ones we have. 

Everything is unloaded and in the shop. Been looking at engine stands this evening. Gonna get by the machine shop this week and see what we are looking at.
I have one that you can borrow that is a gear reduction rotator.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, marksmith said:

Harbor freight engine stand is actually a nice piece. I cannot seem to snag mine back from the shop. It’s preferred over the high dollar ones we have. 

Are you you able to mount the engine straight or do you mount it sideways?

Just now, Austin The DieselTech said:

Yes please! I can run up and pick it up next weekend.

Ben I am able to space it out and mount it from adapter plate end. It spaces out enough to allow the rear main seal and housing to be installed on the stand without having to worry about forgetting to put it on the snout before you drop it in. 

• Like 1

Here is what it looks like
61306bb8823f400faf14be19f7188198.jpg5bfb7a2d640d2d0ead24b2f67d906e13.jpg726fb73b11adf5877d96df03ac184b33.jpg

The pictures can out a lot darker than I thought. I will take new ones with better lighting tomorrow

I have a stand here you can also borrow.  I’m pretty sure it will hold it.  It’s one my dad built years ago

7 hours ago, Austin The DieselTech said:

Be interesting to tear that block down and inspect everything.

Oh it will be torn down to see what happened and hopefully why. 

The scoring is very light at the top of the cylinder and gets worse at the bottom. Even at the bottom it is very light. 

9 hours ago, jcasper said:

I have a stand here you can also borrow.  I’m pretty sure it will hold it.  It’s one my dad built years ago

13 hours ago, Austin The DieselTech said:

Thanks for the offer Guys but I was giving it some thought last night and i think I am going to buy the one that Mark posted. At the rate I am going I should have one anyhow. Plus, i really hate borrowing peoples stuff. I am always afraid something bad will happen.

• Like 3

Thanks for the offer Guys but I was giving it some thought last night and i think I am going to buy the one that Mark posted. At the rate I am going I should have one anyhow. Plus, i really hate borrowing peoples stuff. I am always afraid something bad will happen.
Yea but I have confidence if it did, you would fix it better than it came from the factory.

9 minutes ago, Austin The DieselTech said:

Yea but I have confidence if it did, you would fix it better than it came from the factory.

i would certainly try... In the end i believe if i need it once i will probably need it again.

i would certainly try... In the end i believe if i need it once i will probably need it again.
Yup, I have a borrow twice rule. If I have to borrow it twice, I need to get my own.

1 hour ago, Torque Monkey said:

Build your own and more HD , use a flex plate for geared turning .. not expensive except for good HD casters 

26 minutes ago, GTroyer said:

Build your own and more HD , use a flex plate for geared turning .. not expensive except for good HD casters 

I was looking into that already. I was thinking of making one that would mount to my fab table as it would not take up floor space when not in use. Bottom line is it is easier, and cheaper to buy the Harbor Freight stand as a starting point and modify it to suit my needs. I can't build the Harbor Freight stand for what it cost to buy it already built. If I change the pivot point to add bearing and then add a slack adjuster then we have something we can work with... For a lot cheaper.😉

Heads up for future use. 

Servicecaster.com

You’re welcome. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, marksmith said:

Heads up for future use. 

Servicecaster.com 

You’re welcome. 

Wow! Not bad.... Thanks!

Everything I've gotten from them has been spot on for weight ratings too.  Pretty much anything that has a caster on it in the shop at work (which is almost everything) has come from these guys.

11 hours ago, HOSS said:

Oh it will be torn down to see what happened and hopefully why. 

The scoring is very light at the top of the cylinder and gets worse at the bottom. Even at the bottom it is very light. 

But is the piston all there? Or did it melt off under the rings?

My guess is MAHLE ring decided to self upgrade to a 3 piece design.

• Like 2