I can get this truck for a song (less than a grand), and it looks fairly solid with newer tires and not a lot of rust at first glance.  The only problem with it is a ventilated 350 with a 700R4 behind it that is unknown shape (I'm assuming serviceable.)

Found a place on the web lsx4u.com that sells LS motors - an LQ4 6.0 with standalone harness and ECM is like $2400 shipped to my door.

It's either that or build another 383 - but I dont think I can build a decent 383 for 2400 bucks...

I was thinking of flipping it.

20180304_134709.jpg

The LQ4 will bolt in with the right mounts. How about a good 350 and save a bunch of money? Or find a 400sbc and put some heads on it.

Maybe a 454?

Since your thinking of flipping it I would just put a new or good used short block in it.

Edited by livingez_123

The LQ4 will bolt in with the right mounts. How about a good 350 and save a bunch of money? Or find a 400sbc and put some heads on it.
Maybe a 454?

Since your thinking of flipping it I would just put a new or good used short block in it.
I can't build a small block that I'd feel good about for 2400.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I'm fairly confident you can buy a dyno'd 400hp 383 from Britco machine for around 2k. Even at that its a tough flip. As gas prices continue to rise sales on these things seem to plummet. Not trying to be a downer as I love those trucks but I watch these and the 70s fords fairly regularly. When fuel goes up these truck prices come way down. Just some food for thought.

Really...  I'll have to take a look - I'll probably keep it around for a bit.

Gas goes up and gas goes back down, that's one thing you can count on. 

Yes sir, it sure does. I've been keeping and eye out for a cream puff mid to late 70s ford 2wd with a 460/C6 in Red to swap onto my 76 4x4 frame.

Darrin Bonaham (spelling) is the owner at Britco, 360-330-2434. They are on facebook but no longer have a website that I could find. 

I talked to him this morning actually.  Nice guy, with automotive machine shops going out of business here (I used Waterhouse for years, Cope Bros is spendy, and I wouldnt take a Briggs to Sumner National), I'll start using them for machine work - I'd rather drive to Centrailia than Seattle any day.

He is a great guy, my buddies and I have been working with him for 20 years now for machine work and parts. I remember about 10 years ago I took my Camaro to the 1/8 mile track in Toutle. They used to have Friday and Saturday night drags that went on until midnight sometimes. All they had at the time was a Christmas tree and a white line at the end of the track. There were no lights and I'd never been on or seen the track in the daytime. When I got to the staging lanes I asked Darrin how long the shutdown was. I'm sure he could tell I was a bit nervous. Without hesitation he jumped in the passenger seat and said lets make a pass! I'll show you where everything is! So down the track we went, without incident.

After the pass he said I know this thing makes 550 on the motor, easy. I tested his passenger seat calculation at Portland a few weeks later. He was right on according to ET and trap speed.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TorqueEngineer said:

If your looking for a sbc 400 crankshaft i have one still in engine.  Complete carb to oil pan.

Not sure what route I'm going - still leaning towards the LS but thanks! 

a 454 would be fun too, but I can imagine it would break the little 8.5" 10 bolt in the back. 

Hows the block on that 400?