DBCooper

Odd Electrical

Hello, all.

Been working with an electrical gremlin and looking for ideas. Here's the issue

Wipers intermittently work on intermittent. New switch didn't fix, new motor module (dealer) didn't fix, but swapped relays out and it worked perfectly for a number of months. 

AC clutch engages for a while then quits. Swapped relays and it has been working great for a couple of years. 

Plugged my trailer into the truck today and lost all parking lights. Swapped the starter relay and they work, then when I put the original relay back in the parking light location it works again. 

I'm thinking PDC. Thoughts? Also, anyone know if I can order one on line? 

Thanks for your input. 

Dan

That's weird. I've researched the intermittent wiper problem before as I have the same issue on my truck. Most of what I've found says the wiper motor assembly fixed it. But that didn't seem to fix yours, weird. With all of the other strange issues, I wonder if there is a ground problem where its grounded but a connection somewhere has poor continuity to ground.

Thanks for the ideas, Shawn. 

I'll be checking everything, but leaning even more towards the PDC since I now have parking lights on the truck but no trailer running lights. I'll check all grounds while I work through this.

Thanks again

Dan 

A quick follow up- 

Since just touching the relays (even brand new ones) often made them work and having issues with several items that don't go through the FCM along with the trailer light issue,  I bit the bullet and installed an new PDC. So far so good. Everything seems fine. Trailer lights now work, wipers act normal, parking lights on the truck work and the AC fires off every time.

If/when I get a few minutes I'll dissect the old PDC and see if I can find a corroded or burn circuit on the printed circuit board.  

I did test the draw on the trailer lights and nothing draws more than a couple of amps. 

Hoping this lasts.....

• Like 1

This is on your 04.5?  

It will be interesting to see if something did get overloaded or if it was moisture.

Keep us posted of the inspection/dissection results, and hope that if the "final answer" to the issue.

A quick follow up. 

Yes, this is on the 2004.5

I took the old PDC apart and didn't see anything obvious in the printed circuit board as far a corrosion goes. There were a number of places where there was some "schmutz" with some sort of oily or greasy dirt/dust across several soldered areas. I think if that was at all conductive it could cause problems. 

We recently returned from a 2K mile trip to Montana with the truck and trailer and everything works fine with the new PDC installed. The intermittent wipers worked (and I used them a lot) along with the A/C and trailer lights that worked just fine. I reinstalled the factory multi switch because it has a better feel to it than the aftermarket one I put in trying to find the problem with the wipers. Everything works as it should. 

I'm convinced that the new PDC was the way to go. Easy install. Not the cheapest thing to buy but it did come loaded with all but one relay (power pedals) and all the fuses needed. 

Probably a placebo effect but the truck seems to run a lot smoother.  

I put some new load range G Sailun S637 tires on the trailer and it towed incredibly well. Aired to 95 psi. Great trip in all. 

That's good to hear. I think with the cost of the PDC, I'll keep living with my intermittent wiper problem for as long as I can. As long as I don't have those other issues, I can live with the weird wipers.