Torque Monkey

100 watt Solar Panel Install on a Arctic Fox Camper

cool how was the panel install on top of the camper?

Bob gave me some sealing tape that was put between the camper roof and the 4 feet. The feet can be seen in the picture of the panel on the roof. I then had 4 large stainless steel wood screws that secure the panel to the roof. Then I goopied all four feet and the screws. I didn't take a picture cause I think it looks ugly, but it won't leak.... Then I tapped into the 2 prong SAE plug in the roof fort he wire connection. I had to check the polarity of the panel wires at the controller as positive and negative are not labeled on the roof. I had a 50% chance of getting them right..... so of course they were backward and I had to switch polarity of the panel at the controller....

It can't look any worse than the factory goopy that they put on!

I'm afraid it can. :lol:

I finished the spacer for the controller. I made it from some 1/2” thick nylon I had. I painted it black. Worked out pretty well and it was free. Bonus!

d96228a9178d18f8ec915ddb1af11590.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I finished the spacer for the controller. I made it from some 1/2” thick nylon I had. I painted it black. Worked out pretty well and it was free. Bonus!

d96228a9178d18f8ec915ddb1af11590.jpg

I hope you made me one while you were at it. Just sayin...

I have the template if you need it, and I can bust out another spacer, no sweat. I got plenty of material. Just waiting to see what kit you buy.

You was supposed to leave camper there for the installation 😂😂😂

The Dogs and I are sitting in the camper, watching TV with the coffee pot on and the Fantastic fan running. The camper is not plugged in and with the 100 watt panel the voltage of the batteries is staying at 13.5 volts and I have 5.2 amps coming from the panel. Seems to be working perfectly, as long as the sun stays out...

The Dogs and I are sitting in the camper, watching TV with the coffee pot on and the Fantastic fan running. The camper is not plugged in and with the 100 watt panel the voltage of the batteries is staying at 13.5 volts and I have 5.2 amps coming from the panel. Seems to be working perfectly, as long as the sun stays out...

How big is your inverter????

I have the template if you need it, and I can bust out another spacer, no sweat. I got plenty of material. Just waiting to see what kit you buy.

The same one you have

Did Kim kick you out????????

Did Kim kick you out????????

Sounds like he snuck off for peace and quiet.

Sounds like he snuck off for peace and quiet.

This!^

How big is your inverter????

1500 Watts I think. Runs the TV and coffee maker no problem... Do you need a link?

Bring all that solar junk down and we can install it the day before the Bombparty(Saturday).

1500 Watts I think. Runs the TV and coffee maker no problem... Do you need a link?

Bring all that solar junk down and we can install it the day before the Bombparty(Saturday).

Let me know if this is happening. I can supervise(read that as watch). My new Raptor is solar ready, so I may have more than a casual interest.😎
  • Like 1

Ordered this kit today. Firing up the motor at the beach to charge my house battery this weekend got old fast.

• Like 1

I got some more time on our system on our last trip. From all indacations we would be able to keep the batteries full charged without any outside power. 

This includes running the toaster and the Keurig (through the inverter) every morning and watching a movie every night. As long as the sun is out during the day. 

24 minutes ago, Bob V said:

I got some more time on our system on our last trip. From all indacations we would be able to keep the batteries full charged without any outside power. 

This includes running the toaster and the Keurig (through the inverter) every morning and watching a movie every night. As long as the sun is out during the day. 

So, as long as you are not in the PNW.... right?😁

Maybe I should start a new thread but...

At the moment my house battery is wired through a selector switch with the Starboard battery. Then there’s a wire that runs up to the DC panel in the cabin as well as a cable to the starter. 

When I’m “on the hook” I switch over to the house battery so it’s the only one that drains down. When I’m underway I switch to both batteries so I’ve got juice to start the motor and they both get charged. 

I have a few options for wiring this thing up. 

1. Just wire the charge circuit to the DC panel and assume it’ll back feed the battery when there’s no load at the panel end. This would require the least amount of wiring as the controller will mount by the panel. 

2. Wire the charge circuit directly to the house battery and hook nothing up to the load side and just let it run as a charger. 

3. Do #2 but rewire the DC panel to the load side of the controller, this would be the most complicated and there’s a chance I’d exceed the 10A limit at times. Also, I’d lose the ability to route the starboard battery through the panel which could be an issue if I kill the house battery.