100 watt Solar Panel Install on a Arctic Fox Camper

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 Torque Monkey

Torque Monkey

There is only one way to find out....

• Moderators
  • 12,572 posts
  • Interests:Just about any type of fabrication.. the crazier the better...

Posted 01 May 2018 - 11:04 AM

This is the kit I just ordered to install in the camper.

https://www.homedepo...BASIC/205764075

I have been doing a lot of searching and for the life of me I can't understand why the controller that most outfits sell is a surface mount with the wires coming into the face of the controller. I finally decided to do this kit after BobV had mentioned it. This controller is meant to have a hole cut in a panel and the wire come in behind the controller. This is also how the Arctic Fox Campers are prewired. I will update this with pictures once I pick it up.

#2 Woodenhead

Woodenhead
  • Members
  • 7,618 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 11:38 AM

Keep us posted. I see one of these going on my boat, never did order the Costco one.

#3 HOSS

HOSS

I miss you Rob

• Administrators
  • 24,956 posts
  • Interests:My wife, fishing and hunting.
    Wrenching on my truck
    fishing
    BBQ building,smoking,welding
    fishing
    fishing
    fishing

Posted 01 May 2018 - 11:40 AM

I am getting one for my camper

#4 Bob V

Bob V
  • Moderators
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 12:04 PM

I had a hard time finding a flush mount controller also, the one I got can go both ways.
It has a temp prob that is spose to go to the battery box so the charging circuit is regulated by battery temp also.
The wires for it are too short to get to my battery box so for now it's an outside temp probe, and I like it that way.
Ben, I have plenty of the strip calling to put between the roof and the mounting brackets. If you want it stop by.

#5 Woodenhead

Woodenhead
  • Members
  • 7,618 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 01:04 PM

Was looking for some dimensions on the charger and found this.  Might be useful for anyone else looking for details.

https://www.grapesol...ecs & Guide.pdf

#6 megacabcummins

megacabcummins

Everything feels almost new when you start over....

• Members
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 01:22 PM

BEFORE you install this kit, please call Brian at Overland Solar... He's based in Moses Lake and Mule Expedition Outfitters in Issaquah sells his stuff, or you can buy right from his web page, I bought one of his controllers and am going to upgrade to one of his panels from my pos Goal Zero stuff. Trust me he lives off grid and uses all the products he sells every single day, he knows solar.

https://www.instagra...y=overlandsolar

https://overlandsola...ages/contact-us

Edited by megacabcummins, 01 May 2018 - 01:31 PM.

#7 Torque Monkey

Torque Monkey

• Moderators
  • 12,572 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 01:49 PM

Thanks Bob! I will take you up on that!

Pat, why do I need to call someone. I know how and where and what to install. I have done these before. Beside, the camper is already prewired....

Mike, Thank you for the dimensions. I think I am going to try to make an Aluminum template for making the hole in the camper and try to use a dremel tool to cut it accurately. If it works then I Hoss can use it.

#8 megacabcummins

megacabcummins

• Members
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 01:59 PM

I was just trying to help a brother out.

#9 HOSS

HOSS

I miss you Rob

• Administrators
  • 24,956 posts
    Wrenching on my truck
    fishing
    fishing
    fishing
    fishing

Posted 01 May 2018 - 02:07 PM

Thanks Bob! I will take you up on that!

Pat, why do I need to call someone. I know how and where and what to install. I have done these before. Beside, the camper is already prewired....

Mike, Thank you for the dimensions. I think I am going to try to make an Aluminum template for making the hole in the camper and try to use a dremel tool to cut it accurately. If it works then I Hoss can use it.

I think Pat was saying you should look at buying this stuff instead.

#10 Torque Monkey

Torque Monkey

• Moderators
  • 12,572 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 02:24 PM

The purchase has already been made. Plus, I only have to connect 6 wires... that are already there.

In Pat's defense this isn't exactly the kit I wanted... There are some much nicer units. But this one will install cleanly in the space I have with the constraints I have given the partial wiring Arctic Fox already did, and the fact that this kit is really what I can afford at the moment. It will work fine for my needs. Having an inverter already and a generator I really don't need a panel at all. I just don't like running the generator. It's too noisy. This should make it so that isn't necessary... unless my Wife or Daughter leave all the lights on all the time, like normal.

#11 megacabcummins

megacabcummins

• Members
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 03:03 PM

Just giving out the information on a really good product. His solar cells are super efficient compared to whats out there flooding the market. My 30w panel won't even charge my phone, it's horrible. The storage battery I bought for it died pretty quickly, so when i got to get another panel it'll be his fold up one, I know quite a few people using that one. Just as an example his 75w panel can turn out 4.4amp hour most 100-150w panels don't do that. BUT it comes at a price obviously.

#12 Bob V

Bob V
  • Moderators
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 03:37 PM

I bought my stuff from home depot also. I have 2 100w pannels and a PWM 30 amp controller. The best I have gotten so far was about 170 watts. I am very happy with that. I have under $250 in the whole system.

#13 Bob V

Bob V
  • Moderators
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 03:48 PM

The purchase has already been made. Plus, I only have to connect 6 wires... that are already there.

In Pat's defense this isn't exactly the kit I wanted... There are some much nicer units. But this one will install cleanly in the space I have with the constraints I have given the partial wiring Arctic Fox already did, and the fact that this kit is really what I can afford at the moment. It will work fine for my needs. Having an inverter already and a generator I really don't need a panel at all. I just don't like running the generator. It's too noisy. This should make it so that isn't necessary... unless my Wife or Daughter leave all the lights on all the time, like normal.

I have very limited time on my set up but so far it looks like clear sky's and summer daytime hours I believe we can get buy without need anything else to keep the batterys up. We did a couple of camps that we used lights, a lot of heater operation, and the 12 volt TV/DVD at night and the batterys recharged each day, that is with about 9 to 10 hours of daylight.
My camper is 100% led lighting so that helps alot.

#14 Torque Monkey

Torque Monkey

• Moderators
  • 12,572 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 04:12 PM

I have very limited time on my set up but so far it looks like clear sky's and summer daytime hours I believe we can get buy without need anything else to keep the batterys up. We did a couple of camps that we used lights, a lot of heater operation, and the 12 volt TV/DVD at night and the batterys recharged each day, that is with about 9 to 10 hours of daylight.
My camper is 100% led lighting so that helps alot.

Everything except the reading lights are LED in mine also. I should see if I can find some LED bulbs for those too. My intention is to add another 100 watt panel later on. It just isn’t in my budget right now.

#15 Torque Monkey

Torque Monkey

• Moderators
  • 12,572 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 10:03 PM

The 100 watt panel system showed up today. I just need to have sometime to get the camper in the shop now. I am very close. Just a few more things to finish up first.

66227ee492ed2562387883c0d892ad42.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#16 livingez_123

livingez_123

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

• Contributor
  • 14,365 posts
  • Interests:Money makes the world go around, but it can't buy you happiness. I could use a little happiness.

Posted 14 May 2018 - 10:44 PM

I know what it's like having just a few more things to do before you can work on your own car. I finish one thing and another takes it's place. The 68 Firebird convert came out of the barn for the summer and now it doesn't have drive. Low is fine and so is reverse. Dang powerglide, if you don't start it every few weeks high gear fails. So I guess it gets to come out and I get to rebuild a glide. Oh fun.

On edit, not a glide, it's a super turbine 300

Edited by livingez_123, 16 May 2018 - 12:22 AM.

#17 HOSS

HOSS

I miss you Rob

• Administrators
  • 24,956 posts
    Wrenching on my truck
    fishing
    fishing
    fishing
    fishing

Posted 15 May 2018 - 11:26 AM

Do it in your spare time Ben.
Besides you sleep too much!

#18 Torque Monkey

Torque Monkey

• Moderators
  • 12,572 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 03:39 PM

Do it in your spare time Ben.
Besides you sleep too much!

You know that’s right! :lol:

#19 Bob V

Bob V
  • Moderators
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 05:39 PM

Does you roof already have the wire connectors on it?

#20 Torque Monkey

Torque Monkey

• Moderators
  • 12,572 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 10:02 PM

Does you roof already have the wire connectors on it?

Yes, the #2 SAE plug. I picked one up yesterday.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users