So sad

2543e374b221830f11cfb04d785155f0.jpg

Yes, sad, but also a New chapter... you've got your retirement truck!

I think it needs some stacks, twins, big injectors and a sled puller clutch.

I don't know for sure, but I think that Ben might have a set of stacks that would look great on it!!!!

That truck deserves a lot of respect... but I'm having trouble finding it right now.....

LOL ... funny Ben ... you mean a treck across the state and back to recover Hoss tainted the respect level :)

One trip would never do that.... I guess it was the 3rd one that did it. LOL!

Yikes...

sorry four your loss... :(

One trip would never do that.... I guess it was the 3rd one that did it. LOL!

Amen brother!

It's a love hate relationship Babe and I have. I love that truck and she loves to abuse me.

It's like a guy who smacks his wife then brings her flowers and says he's sorry and she believes it.

Babe blows up on me and I rebuild her and she says I'll be good and I believe it.

Then when we are in the most remote place possible she kicks me in the Jimmy!

But when I unloaded the truck off the trailer and drove it into the shop listening to that horrible noise and shut it down I walked out of the shop turned off the lights and looked back at the truck and I felt like I was burying my horse.

Odd. I find this thread both funny and sad. I am one of those guys who forms a bond with every vehicle I've owned and even if it is a POS, I have a hard time getting rid of it for sentimental reasons. I may have a problem. Sorry for the loss of Babe but I have no doubt that you will become attached to whatever the replacement is and you'll be happy with that in the long run.

Man that bites HOSS!! Might just walk away and let it sit for a time then before you know it you'll be ready to dig into it and get 'er fixed back up again. It's hard to let a truck go that's been with you for a long time. My ol' '96 is pretty tired and needs tons of work and just passed 489,000 but can't let it go.

Well just saw your other thread. . .I think you're making the right move going to a newer truck after all you've been through. . .

Wishing you the best. It's hard to move on sometimes. But getting kicked in the jimmies on your birthday. That's not fun..

Hoss, Sorry about your truck. I have been following your trucks story for many years. What I dont understand is why the engine keeps giving you problems. I consider you an authority on this engine and the cummins in general, so I have been seriously perplexed when the thing gives it up. As hard as it is to make the change, once you get the new truck it will be hard to look back. Best of luck with the new ride.

Hoss, Sorry about your truck. I have been following your trucks story for many years. What I dont understand is why the engine keeps giving you problems. I consider you an authority on this engine and the cummins in general, so I have been seriously perplexed when the thing gives it up. As hard as it is to make the change, once you get the new truck it will be hard to look back. Best of luck with the new ride.

A lot of very knowledgeable people are really scratching their heads on why this keeps happening.

First engine went at 60,000 under warranty so I was never told what caused the problem a new long block was installed.

Number Two went at 120,000 and I was towing heavy when she let go. Even though I was towing (horse trailer) I was not getting hot, in 5th gear pulling a hill and egt's and water temp and pyro were all in check.

Had this block bored .020 over and rebuilt.

This one did not last long and I lost it at 180,000 when we tore it down we found gasket material of some sort plugging one of the cooling jets on the scored cylinder.

This one went in for a new jug in one hole and a couplete rebuild.

And here we are now at 212,000 and engine number 4 toast.

I am not bashing or blaming anyone who did any work on any of my engines. I use my truck like a truck and ask a lot of it but I also meticulously maintain it and try to not abuse it.

Honestly I chalk a lot of it up to dumb luck. There are a lot of people out there who have had piston cooling jets plug up but to go through 4 engines in one truck in just over 200,000 miles???

One thing I do know is that the only person I would trust to rebuild a engine for me now is Dave Quinn (stroketeck)

• Like 2

Time will tell once teardown starts as to the root cause. I'm not sure how true it is but I have "heard" the ISB has a tendancy to break compression rings due to the ring land in the pistons wearing out.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

A lot of very knowledgeable people are really scratching their heads on why this keeps happening.

First engine went at 60,000 under warranty so I was never told what caused the problem a new long block was installed.

Number Two went at 120,000 and I was towing heavy when she let go. Even though I was towing (horse trailer) I was not getting hot, in 5th gear pulling a hill and egt's and water temp and pyro were all in check.

Had this block bored .020 over and rebuilt.

This one did not last long and I lost it at 180,000 when we tore it down we found gasket material of some sort plugging one of the cooling jets on the scored cylinder.

This one went in for a new jug in one hole and a couplete rebuild.

And here we are now at 212,000 and engine number 4 toast.

I am not bashing or blaming anyone who did any work on any of my engines. I use my truck like a truck and ask a lot of it but I also meticulously maintain it and try to not abuse it.

Honestly I chalk a lot of it up to dumb luck. There are a lot of people out there who have had piston cooling jets plug up but to go through 4 engines in one truck in just over 200,000 miles???

One thing I do know is that the only person I would trust to rebuild a engine for me now is Dave Quinn (stroketeck)

Dang! I never knew the whole history here but that really hurts. I'm not sure what I'd do if I scattered one, it'd be painful for sure, I couldn't imagine that many. Half the reason I drive an old truck is because it's all I can afford at this point.

• Like 1

Time will tell once teardown starts as to the root cause. I'm not sure how true it is but I have "heard" the ISB has a tendancy to break compression rings due to the ring land in the pistons wearing out.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Well I have not broken any rings yet
  • Like 1

Curious what oil filters do you use ? When I lost the motor in my 95 due to plugged cooling jet was 215 k had mopar filter the dealer installed had around 8 k since oil change they told me i exceeded life of filter we never cut it open I wished I had. You may have someone cut it open and inspect. Since that motor I will only use fleet guard havent had issue since. It sucks to have so many failures seems odd. Good luck figuring it out.

I only use Baldwin and fleetguard filters

HOSS have you had the same pyro all along? I know sometimes they can be off, I've seen on TDR guys sticking pistons hanging around 1200F sustained. I never let mine get over 1150, if so only briefly. . .it's the sustained high temps that can get ya. But it didn't sound like you were pulling hard on this last unfortunate episode.

HOSS have you had the same pyro all along? I know sometimes they can be off, I've seen on TDR guys sticking pistons hanging around 1200F sustained. I never let mine get over 1150, if so only briefly. . .it's the sustained high temps that can get ya. But it didn't sound like you were pulling hard on this last unfortunate episode.

No not the same pyro I am as confident as a guy who has lost 4 engines in the same truck can be that the pyro is good.