Sign in to follow this  
DieselBound

[early] Gen2 headlight switch w/fog switch/function?

Is there a headlight switch that has an integrated fog light position? I've looked around but cannot find anything.

I'm looking to do something with the cheesy install that someone did with fogs on my truck. PO says toggle switch gets hot, so figure no relay.

And, yes, I'm aware that Dodge didn't use relays for headlights in this model year and that the stock switches suffer as a result. I'd be looking to rectify this as well (when converting to sport headlights).

Is there a headlight switch that has an integrated fog light position? I've looked around but cannot find anything.

I'm looking to do something with the cheesy install that someone did with fogs on my truck. PO says toggle switch gets hot, so figure no relay.

And, yes, I'm aware that Dodge didn't use relays for headlights in this model year and that the stock switches suffer as a result. I'd be looking to rectify this as well (when converting to sport headlights).

I know the fog lights on my 98 were controlled with a dash button.

The Ford Superduty switch for at least 1999 thru 2004 did. I have no idea of what other models or years they used it.

Yes Dodge trucks with factory fog lights have a light switch that powers the fog lights when you pull it out. Push it in to turn them off. My 99 had them

Yes Dodge trucks with factory fog lights have a light switch that powers the fog lights when you pull it out. Push it in to turn them off. My 99 had them

Interesting, my 98 has a push button in the dash for factory fogs. I wonder if they made a change right after. Thisd mean the push button setup I have was pretty short lived.

Interesting, my 98 has a push button in the dash for factory fogs. I wonder if they made a change right after. Thisd mean the push button setup I have was pretty short lived.

They went to the new switch when they started the 24 valve trucks.

some of the very early 98.5 24 valve rigs had the button Mike refer's to .. the perfectly good truck I took over the cliff had that button and it was a early factory ordered rig, I missed the order date cut off on the 12 valve by a few days and like a dumb ass I didn't go back to the dealer in Carson City and get a 12 valve off his lot as he had several there then.

some of the very early 98.5 24 valve rigs had the button Mike refer's to .. the perfectly good truck I took over the cliff had that button and it was a early factory ordered rig, I missed the order date cut off on the 12 valve by a few days and like a dumb ass I didn't go back to the dealer in Carson City and get a 12 valve off his lot as he had several there then.

Take note of this folks. Gary called himself a dumb ass...on a forum where this could go off the rails...😘

• Like 1

This is all pretty much what I'd dug up. I wonder whether the newer style switch assemblies are physically capable of fitting an older [gen2\] truck w/o mods. The wring harness would, I suspect, require modifying. Might be way too much work to splice up a new switch. This truck isn't used enough to justify a lot of work. I'll probably just clean up the existing fog light wiring (add in a relay) and call it good.