Costco Solar Charger

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Woodenhead

Woodenhead
  • Members
  • 7,530 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 11:00 AM

Anyone using one of these 100W chargers from Costco.  Seems like a good deal (maybe too good) for the panel and charger.  I think I'll get one to run on the boat in the summer to help the batteries along while I'm at the beach.

https://www.costco.c...416_Bridgestone

#2 Sasquash

Sasquash
  • Members
  • 748 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 12:15 PM

I don't have this specific brand, but I have a 100 w solar panel on my 5th wheel.
It works great for keeping my batteries up when I'm elk hunting. I only need to run the generator if I want to turn the TV on to watch a video. Other than that I can run the lights and the furnace and the batteries stay charged the whole time.

#3 skyking

skyking
  • Administrators
  • 4,370 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 01:08 PM

Two of the reviews mentioned missing charge controller s.

#4 Woodenhead

Woodenhead
  • Members
  • 7,530 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 01:21 PM

Two of the reviews mentioned missing charge controller s.

Saw that.  I guess it if doesn't have the charger I'll have to raise hell.  Wife is at Costco today, got her looking to see if they have them in house.

#5 SMOKN05

SMOKN05

to those who know this it is Holy!

• Contributor
  • 10,714 posts
  • Interests:Anything with a turbo, the bigger the better.

Posted 16 April 2018 - 01:44 PM

On this side of the state I think a hydro-electric charger is more appropriate. Solar will only grow cobwebs. 

#6 GTroyer

GTroyer

Bigger than a Grizz, Gentler than a lamb!

• Contributor
  • 22,692 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 01:53 PM

Saw that.  I guess it if doesn't have the charger I'll have to raise hell.  Wife is at Costco today, got her looking to see if they have them in house.

don't think that is a in house item Mike

#7 Woodenhead

Woodenhead
  • Members
  • 7,530 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 01:56 PM

don't think that is a in house item Mike

The email with the link to it says In warehouse hot buys but maybe I misunderstood that and its was only certain items are in the warehouse. Shipping was included in the price so Ill just order it if she doesnt find it today.

#8 GTroyer

GTroyer

Bigger than a Grizz, Gentler than a lamb!

• Contributor
  • 22,692 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 02:02 PM

The email with the link to it says In warehouse hot buys but maybe I misunderstood that and its was only certain items are in the warehouse. Shipping was included in the price so Ill just order it if she doesnt find it today.

the "test" locations are usually very high volume locations , the Spokane and CdA locations are not those .. but one never knows where to find them 

the way to find a location is to write down the item number and call or go into the location and ask them to look up on the computer who has that item number near or where it's at.

I have done that on discontinued items as well , find something I like and then get a bunch before they are gone . even call a distance warehouse and gave them my credit card and had then send them to me and pay the freight on the same card.

#9 Bob V

Bob V
  • Moderators
  • 4,216 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 02:56 PM

I picked up two 100 watt pannels and a higher quality charger from Home Depot (on line) for about $230. The pannels where reg $150, on sale for $90 ea.
Last I looked the sale was over but they had an American made pannel and controller for around $150.
I went with the PWM controller because it was much cheaper. From what I read the MPPT is spose to be better, but more money.
Go to Home depot and search solar pannels.

#10 Torque Monkey

Torque Monkey

There is only one way to find out....

• Moderators
  • 12,376 posts
  • Interests:Just about any type of fabrication.. the crazier the better...

Posted 16 April 2018 - 03:40 PM

What type of panels did you go with Bob, rigid, or flexible? I have really been eyeballing the flexible ones as I like the idea of them no sticking up off the roof. Just wonder about mounting options and if I should have a preference.

#11 Woodenhead

Woodenhead
  • Members
  • 7,530 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 04:23 PM

I picked up two 100 watt pannels and a higher quality charger from Home Depot (on line) for about $230. The pannels where reg $150, on sale for $90 ea.
Last I looked the sale was over but they had an American made pannel and controller for around $150.
I went with the PWM controller because it was much cheaper. From what I read the MPPT is spose to be better, but more money.
Go to Home depot and search solar pannels.

Thanks Bob, Ill look at HD before I do anything. The Costco one caught my eye in an email and got me thinking.

My batteries will always need power during the day when Im tied up at the beach since the fridge is a power hog so I dont think I need a very fancy charger.

#12 Bob V

Bob V
  • Moderators
  • 4,216 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 07:56 PM

I went with the hard ones. Made my own brackets, of course I was worried about drilling holes in the roof. I used the butyle yape between the roof and brackets, then lots of dicor self leveling over that.
Really don't see how it can leak.
Ben, you are welcome to stop be and look how mine are installed

#13 Bob V

Bob V
  • Moderators
  • 4,216 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 08:32 PM

These are the ones I got. I was able to get a total of 180 watts out of them a couple of times
www.homedepot.com/p/Renogy-100-Watt-12-Volt-Monocrystalline-Solar-Panel-for-RV-Boat-Back-Up-System-Off-Grid-Application-RNG-100D/301449131

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users