jcasper

Grand Design axle/brake issues

My Father-in-Law bought a new Grand Design fifth wheel last summer. I had mentioned to him last year when it got put away that I thought the springs were flat and not heavy enough for the weight of the RV. So in February he pulls it out to go to Arizona and I remind him of this. He stops at the dealer and has them look it over and they agree it has an issue. Down in Tucson they replaced the spring with heavier ones. It now sits like it should and tows much better.

So now that it tows better it needs to stop better. He has complained that the brakes just aren't strong enough so I told him to upgrade to disk brakes. He ordered the parts and our maintenance guy from work is out there putting them on now. I wish I had pictures, but the rear axle seals were leaking. The passenger side rear axle brake never worked, it is filled with grease and no brake dust at all. The driver side rear axle brake was also filled with grease, but had a little brake dust so maybe it worked for a short time. The front axle brakes were almost worn down to the metal on the shoes. Keep in mind, this has maybe 5-6,000 miles on it.

Good old Lippert frame and axles. What a pile o crap.

I think the disc brakes are a great upgrade anyhow. The fact that the factory brakes didn't work IMHO is criminal. Good on ya Joe!

IMHO I think any new trailer/RV with a GVW over lets say 10,000lbs should come with disc brakes. It just makes sense. I know I would gladly pay more for my RV at the dealer if it already had them.

I am thinking I should pull mine and look at them now. Not sure I'll have time before State OHSET meet next month but after that trip I will have to do it.

At least when you hook it up, you could lock the brakes and drag the trailer a little. Have someone stand by and make sure all the brakes lock. Better than nothing.

We picked up a Reflection 5'er last fall. Thanks for the post.

Which disc brakes are you putting on?

Edited by David S

Unfortunately sometimes the units will actually get the wring running gear under them or like what was discovered Joe, defects and issues which most likely were there from the factory.

The reason for no disc brakes is costs vs profit.

I had many trailetrs that had brakes that were weak. Even when the gain is cranked and brakes manually applied, all I could feel was minimal drag.

Discs and independent suspension is amazing.

I been a member of the grand design Facebook page for over a year. The leaking wheels seals are a known problem.

We aslmost bought one, but decided on a camper insted.

I been a member of the grand design Facebook page for over a year. The leaking wheels seals are a known problem.

We aslmost bought one, but decided on a camper insted.

Interesting. On his trip he met two other owners with weak and or broken springs.

We picked up a Reflection 5'er last fall. Thanks for the post.

Which disc brakes are you putting on?

Not sure. Had my maintenance guy order it from six Robblees. I can find out.

Unfortunately sometimes the units will actually get the wring running gear under them or like what was discovered Joe, defects and issues which most likely were there from the factory.

The reason for no disc brakes is costs vs profit.

I had many trailetrs that had brakes that were weak. Even when the gain is cranked and brakes manually applied, all I could feel was minimal drag.

Discs and independent suspension is amazing.

Mine are kind of like that. Not strong enough to lock up.

Id gladly pay the extra for disc brakes at time of purchase.

I agree I would have gladly paid for the upgrade at purchase time if it was an option , I'm sure many if not most dealers would stock the larger trailers with that upgrade also.

I mean what's a grand or two on a new trailer purchase for Pete's sake , difference in a sale or not ... I doubt it very much

They are cheap in my opinion trailers are under built and overrated. My cargo trailer at 16 ft is rated at 7k with shipping weight of 2200 lb so it wont haul much. I had a Springdale 5th wheel springs went flat and the rear axle bent I ended up having axles built using the 5k tube then went with 5k springs. I dont agree with rating

I agree with discs. Going to upgrade our 5er at some point. Probably go with Kodiak e-coat, but not yet sure of which pump.

One thing about the leaking seals. I assume it's a spindle lube system. Based on your description of the leaking seals. If so, they could have been this way from the factory or from a dealer service. This is largely due to using a pneumatic grease gun and not rotatingthe wheel while greasing.

I have used that system for years on my boat trailers. And I just ordered 2 new axles for the bay boat specifically for this feature. I also run electric drums on the boat trailer but that's a topic for another day.

Spinning the wheel while greasing is critical with those hubs. And I usually only grease after I put some miles on it to warm things up.

Don't know if that helps. Just thought I would mention it.

Dave

What is this disc conversation you speak of?