Shady

2000 lb Trip hammer - Sand Point ID to Granite Falls WA

I may be buying a piece of equipment from a fellow in Sand Point. it is about 1800-2000 lbs. I am trying to find out if he is willing to ship it to me, or if he can load it onto a trailer if I can find someone to haul it. I figured I'd post here to see if anyone is willing and able to haul it to my place, if I pull the trigger on this? If so, getting it to me is not a rush. it could be picked up now, and delivered later if someone is coming over for Hoss's or Ben's parties, or for some other reason. It would just need to be tarped off to keep it safe and dry till it hits the road.

little giant.jpg

That's a monster!

• Like 1

Yeah. it is a huge monster!. I have no idea how I am going to even unload it if I buy it. I guess i'll rent a mobile crane or forklift...

Scott .. no offense meant here

I'm thinking that is something you need to deal with as it's a very heavy and cumbersome item that asking someone else to handle who may or may not have any experience handling equipment and securing of same might be beyond their knowledge and put them is a unsafe situation and or damage the equipment item .

again no offense meant

• Like 1

Scott .. no offense meant here

I'm thinking that is something you need to deal with as it's a very heavy and cumbersome item that asking someone else to handle who may or may not have any experience handling equipment and securing of same might be beyond their knowledge and put them is a unsafe situation and or damage the equipment item .

again no offense meant

If that were mine I'd be making the road trip to get it for several reasons.

1. To make sure it is everything the dude says it is.

2. To make sure it's properly loaded and secure so if it gets screwed up it's MY fault.

3. Who doesn't like a good road trip to haul home a new toy?! :burnout:

• Like 1

If that were mine I'd be making the road trip to get it for several reasons.

1. To make sure it is everything the dude says it is.

2. To make sure it's properly loaded and secure so if it gets screwed up it's MY fault.

3. Who doesn't like a good road trip to haul home a new toy?! :burnout:

that too :)

• Like 1

No offense taken Gary, I will probably do as Mike suggests and take the road trip. I don’t have a Trailer big enough, but I’m sure I can rent something safe to haul it on so that’s not a big deal. I just wanted to see if a bomber that has the proper equipment, and hauls heavy items is interested in bringing a load, when they are coming this way, to cut costs. I should have been clearer. I am looking for a pro and am certainly willing to pay for someone with more experience than me. (Unless Kelly thinks he can cram it in the back seat of his bug) :P

I wonder how many fingers it has smashed in its lifetime?

I hope not many... and if I get it, I hope I am not in that club... I am burning, cutting, poking, and pinching myself often enough that Olivia has told me that our band aid budget for the year is already shot...

You won't need a band aid if that thing catches you.

Maybe a spatula....

• Like 1

You can make an overhead frame in the shop and pick it off the trailer with a 3 ton chain come along. Set it on a pallet jack to get it where you want. One of those TJI would pick it easy, with some 4x4 legs and braced to the shop wall.

• Like 1

You won't need a band aid if that thing catches you.

I saw a guy get bit by a smaller version of a power hammer like this. Just caught the edge of his finger. It didn’t touch the bone, but it popped his skin like a balloon and it looked like a quarter stick of dynamite went off in his hand. I’ve also seen some pretty horrific damage from an angle grinder too. Pretty much any power tool can ruin your day if you are not careful. I always wear my pipe and try to be very thoughtful and deliberate when I’m working in my forge... and I still get some nicks and burns...

What is it?? Im guessing for working metal but other then that I got no clue. Looks "fun" though.

• Like 1

What is it?? Im guessing for working metal but other then that I got no clue. Looks "fun" though.

Its for making a thick piece of metal into a thin piece of metal

or anything else you care to put in it!

• Like 1

The neighbors should love this lol.

Tamp tamp tamp

Yeah, Probably will be a little more than tamptamptamp. more like BAMBAMBAMBAMBAMBAMBAM...... :evilB: :evilB: :evilB:

Oh well, this trip hammer sold to the first guy that called. :(

I do have blueprints for a 50 lb power hammer that is very popular with blacksmiths... but I am going to be building a belt grinder first, then I'd also like to build a hydraulic forging press... If I fabricate these tools myself I will save money, but careful design and good welding is absolutely necessary, or something can go "BLAM" with the pressures and speed involved...

suggest having a certified welder do just the high pressure spots , non high pressure you do think safety

Thanks fellas, I ended up buying a kind of trip hammer called a tire hammer. This particular one is made by a Mennonite knife maker in KY. He has been building these models for some time now and has also built smaller 35# versions, and up to 135# helve hammers. This is the same hammer weight as that Little Giant I was eyeing in Idaho, but a more modern and efficient design. Easier to replace components, less oil, smaller footprint, and actually a much safer design too. Not to mention less expensive than the old school trip hammers. Should be arriving soon... WOOT!!

https://www.facebook.com/chase.saxton.161/videos/1375497165929268/?t=0