DieselBound

Newbie with first Dodge/Cummins, 2nd gen

My 1993 Ford F250 IDI bit the dust (head gaskets) and I wasn't in the mood to resurrect it so I decided to replace it. Wanted something that had a little more power, or the potential to have more power (with minimal cost/effort), and, of course, a diesel! (I've got three diesel cars, two diesel tractors, a diesel generator and a diesel Polaris Brutus!) Mainly wanted something that was sound and not rattling apart. Really only used for occasional hauling (feed, straw, building materials, perhaps my tractors and anything else I might figure I need to haul). I paid $2,500 for that Ford about 5 years ago and put little money in to it; it paid for itself many times over; but, I was always a bit nervous just kind of waiting for it to give up. I don't want to live with that feeling any more in which case I decided to spend a few more dollars! So...

After doing some research I settled on a 2nd Gen Dodge/Cummins, manual and 4wd. Wasn't so sure I wanted an extended cab again because they tend to be hard to access: I'm not really looking to do long-hauls anyway.

Picked up yesterday. 192k miles. Bellingham area truck all its life. Pretty well taken care of. No engine mods that I or the previous owner (third owner) am/was aware of. 4" exhaust. Pacbrake exhaust brake and air bags. Redhead steering box. Have a drag link, tie rod and some other frontend parts (needs at least one ball joint): I should be able to do this R&R myself. Looks like there's a little oil weeping from the timing cover, but will have to have a closer look. PO says that the original owner was to have had the KDP and fifth gear nut fixes taken care of, but I suppose that without any paper work there's no way of knowing. Clutch, standard duty Luk, has less than 30k miles on it: seller had said it was a Southbend (I'd wished!), but the service records said otherwise.

Other than a little steering wander (my F250 had a bit as well) the truck seems pretty tight. Engine seems really crisp and smooth. For peace of mind I'll probably have Diesel Outfitters give it a look-over.

Will be looking to address driveability/soundness issues first (will see how the inspection goes) and then be looking to bump power a bit. Also needs new tires and I'm wondering whether my 285/75/R16 Cooper MAX tires (only a couple thousand miles on them) from the F250 would be suitable. The existing Toyo tires have a crappy ride (compared to the Coopers).

Mark

post-14994-0-49866100-1521497262_thumb.jpg

I like the color. Good looking truck.

Congratulations and welcome. It sounds like previous owners were aware of what to fix so you should be good to go with a little more front end suspension and steering work.

I can’t put my finger on it but that truck looks familiar to me.

Welcome! When you go to Outfitters, if you use the restroom, lock the door. Just a little advice... :lol:

Welcome to the house , drop in often and throw out a few lies with rest of us

Hey one thing you must check while being looked over , fuel pressure .. the lift pumps are an Achilles heal on the rigs and when the lift pump goes many times it takes out the injection pump too so have Mike check that too. BTW you chose a good shop !!

Be sure you ask / read up on upgrades .. we can save you some heart ache and mis-spent $$ and depending on vintage there might be some buys on the used market here ( guys sitting on things they pulled when buying new rigs)

Where is home ?

Edited by GTroyer

I can’t put my finger on it but that truck looks familiar to me.

Welcome! When you go to Outfitters, if you use the restroom, lock the door. Just a little advice...

Yep I have seen that truck at my house before. I can't place the owner.

Yep I have seen that truck at my house before. I can't place the owner.

I know I have seen it before. Thanks for proving I am not losing my mind completely.

Thanks for the reminder to update my personal info: one day I'll get around to paring down a picture for an avatar.

GTroyer, it's a 12v. My understanding that there's no lift pump issues (like with the 24v).

Anyone guessing whose truck it used to be can message me: I will either confirm or deny. I don't want to disclose names here in the public domain.

Going to schedule for Diesel Outfitters to have a look, first part of April: had just stopped by and talked to them. For what it's worth, my equipment rental guy (Todd Springer, Springer Equipment Rentals - great guy!) owns the building that Diesel Outfitter is in: I've known and have dealt with Springer for many years, but never have done business with Diesel Outfitters.

Pretty happy with how noise/rattle free this truck is. Today I hauled 1,300# of feed in the bed and got to use the exhaust brake- very nice! Will be looking to hook up my utility trailer and fetch a load of straw. That should give me a feel for how well it tows. Need to check the wiring for the trailer hook-up: nice that it already has a brake controller; more so if it works- ha ha.

Anyway, I'm not new to diesels. Of course, there was my IDI. I've got five VW TDIs, all ALHs, in the family: I run three 2000 Golfs (one with a 6spd), all slightly modded- they're the DDs, commuters. Have a diesel Polaris UTV, a Brutus. A couple of tractors: Kubota B7800 and Kioti NX5510. And, of course, a diesel generator. My main aim is to keep things maintained (once I get them to working like I want them to work).

• Like 2

Thanks for the reminder to update my personal info: one day I'll get around to paring down a picture for an avatar.

GTroyer, it's a 12v. My understanding that there's no lift pump issues (like with the 24v).

Need to check the wiring for the trailer hook-up: nice that it already has a brake controller; more so if it works- ha ha.

great it's a 12 valve !! correct 12 valve lift pumps are great [i have one on my 24 valve :) ]

as to the trailer pulling .. Have Mike also check the hitch , Dodge came out with some real crap and even had to have a recall for a bad hitch and did a cheesy fix , I don't know the years of the bad hitch though ... better safe than sorry!!

also when towing try to use direct .. in your 5 speed that's 4th gear [sorry you probably knew that] .. when pulling that 5th gear nut "fix" is not a real good fix as almost all "fixes" had failures again and the reason was lack of support for the gear on the shaft and gear design. using direct will lengthen the life of the fix. and these trucks can go all day in direct just not quite as fast as OD . I tow often and heavy and use direct[5th] in my 6 speed for the same reason , not a well designed tranny and failure of 6th gear.

I'm sure you know most of this crapola ... but just incase you don't I throw out the above .... every truck made has it's issues so not to worry you have a good one being the mechanical one

Edited by GTroyer

Welcome, Mark. Good to see you aboard and congratulations on your new truck!

The OP and I met at a TDI Dyno day in Portland a couple of years ago, and we have been discussing a replacement for his Ford.

When you go to Outfitters, tell Todd that Ben said hello. I miss playing with all the toys he had there. Todd is a great guy!

Hi, Kelly!

GTroyer, the hitch appears to be an aftermarket one (can't recall what it is- it's late out and I have the truck parked quite a bit of a ways from the house). It's connected up to the frame.

Spend most of the day resolving trailer wiring issues. Wouldn't you know it, as soon as I go to connect up to a different truck one of the trailer wires decides to crap out! I did not realize this until late in the game. Replaced the wire plug, couldn't get things to work. The wire colors used on the trailer (by PO- custom trailer) are all wrong, so that made things difficult: I took pictures of the wires connected to the old plug but struggled to decipher (upside down, font side vs, rear etc. etc.- can really get turned around). And when I just couldn't make things work I decided to have a look-see with the truck's wiring. Yikes! What a mess! Ended up replacing the receptacle as well as doing a lot of cleaning up of the wiring. At the point I'd cleaned up the truck's wiring I then found a broken wire (running lights) on the trailer: mind you these lights had worked very recently!

Just looked at the front end parts that came with the truck. Drag link; tie rod stabilizer mount kit and tie rod. Not sure of manufacturer. Parts came from sdhqoffroad.com.

I have a date with Diesel Outfitters the start of next month. Not sure if I'll give a nod to replace the front TB gasket or not: it's clearly leaking up-front; good opportunity to see if the KDP has been done. Talked with Mike: had actually consulted with him 3 years ago regarding my first TB job on my TDI: long story, ended up ad-libbing, but so far -50k miles- it seems that I'm OK.

I'm a total novice when it comes to these trucks. My comfort zone is MKIV TDIs only.

Mike is a solid guy at the shop. Especially with the 12v lyfe.... You wont be dissapointed

Debating on whether to post here or start a new thread...

Can I install 3k rpm IP springs with everything else (including fueling) being stock (newer stock clutch)? I'd really like to have a bit more room in the rpm range (dropping off around 2,250 rpm isn't good- my IDI could climb to 3,500 rpm; and, my VW TDIs run to 4,500 rpm).

Thats a yes, kinda answer.

I go through the side of the pump to do gov springs, so the plate and housing doesnt change. The feel of it does though. It seems stronger down low, and every set Ive installed Ive had to mess with the star wheel to pull some fuel back to keep it clean.

Its not too much for the stock clutch by any means.

You can do either 3 or 4 k spring kit

Suggest you do the 4K kit and if you want you can leave out the 4K part ( springs) until you want more

Many on here gave done this .. have Mike do it while he has it

• Like 1

When I talked to Mike he'd said that they won't do performance mods on a vehicle with a stock clutch. Not sure if this would be considered a "performance mod" to him.

This truck has all the feel of my TDI when I got it, with clogged intake, it would fall flat on its face right around 2,400 rpm.

You said it has a Luk clutch now? My old 96 ended up with the Luk Pro Gold that came out of my 98. Also has a ground plate (#100?) and 3k GSK. The girls that have it now are not easy on anything and drive it pretty hard with horse trailers etc. So far its been holding up for a few years of hard miles.

A stock clutch in a stock 12V these days is already on its last legs.

For the record (and to keep from flamage) I prefer a South Bend Clutch.