NV5600

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 livingez_123

livingez_123

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

• Contributor
  • 14,310 posts
  • Interests:Money makes the world go around, but it can't buy you happiness. I could use a little happiness.

Posted 18 March 2018 - 08:14 PM

Can someone refresh my memory, is the bell housing and trans one piece or two?

Also, how well do the stock clutch hydro's do with a SouthBend clutch?

#2 Torque Monkey

Torque Monkey

There is only one way to find out....

• Moderators
  • 12,376 posts
  • Interests:Just about any type of fabrication.. the crazier the better...

Posted 18 March 2018 - 08:17 PM

They are 2 piece for sure since the body is cast steel and the bell housing is aluminum.

The stock clutch hydraulics lasted a couple years on my rig with several Southbend Clutches. I have Southbend hydraulics now. The stock ones finally gave up.

#3 livingez_123

livingez_123

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

• Contributor
  • 14,310 posts
  • Interests:Money makes the world go around, but it can't buy you happiness. I could use a little happiness.

Posted 18 March 2018 - 08:26 PM

The clutch hub broke on my old 04.5

#4 Austin The DieselTech

Austin The DieselTech
  • Members
  • 2,217 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 08:32 PM

Peter informed me as long as you stay at a 3250 plate load, the stock hydros are fine.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

#5 livingez_123

livingez_123

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

• Contributor
  • 14,310 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 11:04 PM

Should I go with the adjustable South Bend hydro's or the std South Bend hydro's?

#6 Torque Monkey

Torque Monkey

• Moderators
  • 12,376 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 09:23 AM

I have the standard in my truck, never had a reason to adjust the pedal position... of course I have the electric adjustable pedal position in my truck so it isn't necessary.

I think if I didn't have adjustable pedals I would like the idea of being able to dial in the position of the pedal at rest. So I guess you could say, personnel preference on this one.

#7 livingez_123

livingez_123

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

• Contributor
  • 14,310 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 05:43 PM

The story is about a year after they bought the truck from me they grenaded the trans. So they bought a SouthBend ofe for it and the stock hydraulics couldn't get the clutch to release. So they just put a Luk pro gold in it. Fast forward about 8 years and the clutch hub let go. So they have this South bend sitting in a box and I side just get new hydraulics and I will put the new clutch in. So I have a new TO bearing, pilot bearing and fork along with the new hydraulics on order. So as soon as it gets in I will change it out.
Also how many times can you turn the flywheel before it starts to effect the clutch engagement point?

#8 Torque Monkey

Torque Monkey

• Moderators
  • 12,376 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 07:14 PM

The story is about a year after they bought the truck from me they grenaded the trans. So they bought a SouthBend ofe for it and the stock hydraulics couldn't get the clutch to release. So they just put a Luk pro gold in it. Fast forward about 8 years and the clutch hub let go. So they have this South bend sitting in a box and I side just get new hydraulics and I will put the new clutch in. So I have a new TO bearing, pilot bearing and fork along with the new hydraulics on order. So as soon as it gets in I will change it out.
Also how many times can you turn the flywheel before it starts to effect the clutch engagement point?

The flywheel is flat. You can turn it all you want. The hydraulics will adjust. The throw of the hydraulics in the slave cylinder have plenty of room.

#9 livingez_123

livingez_123

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

• Contributor
  • 14,310 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 07:27 PM

Thanks Ben, I wasn't sure if there was a min thickness spec.

#10 stroketeck

stroketeck
  • Members
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 08:44 PM

i have found that i need to add a washer behind the pivot ball in order to get the clutch to disengage  

#11 livingez_123

livingez_123

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

• Contributor
  • 14,310 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 08:57 PM

i have found that i need to add a washer behind the pivot ball in order to get the clutch to disengage

I've had to do that when converting from a dual Mass to single Mass flywheel on some Vw's

#12 livingez_123

livingez_123

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

• Contributor
  • 14,310 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 10:16 PM

Hey Ben! Does he shifter come of the same way as a nv4500? If I remember it just pulled straight up and off the shift post.

#13 Torque Monkey

Torque Monkey

• Moderators
  • 12,376 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 09:20 AM

Yup, 4 bolts and pops out straight up. You will need a 10mm wrench/socket.

#14 livingez_123

livingez_123

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

• Contributor
  • 14,310 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 07:46 PM

I started this today, I have everything removed but the bell housing bolts. I will have to finish dropping it out Thursday, get the flywheel surfaced and put it back together Friday.

So I noticed that the SouthBend hydraulics have a remote Reservoir, where is a good place to mount it?

#15 Austin The DieselTech

Austin The DieselTech
  • Members
  • 2,217 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 07:59 PM

I started this today, I have everything removed but the bell housing bolts. I will have to finish dropping it out Thursday, get the flywheel surfaced and put it back together Friday.

So I noticed that the SouthBend hydraulics have a remote Reservoir, where is a good place to mount it?

Same spot as the factory reservoir.

#16 Torque Monkey

Torque Monkey

• Moderators
  • 12,376 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 08:45 PM

Couple sheet metal screws in the firewall just above the slave cylinder. The hose isn’t that long so you don’t have a lot of options. If I get a chance I can take a picture of mine as I had to do the same.

#17 livingez_123

livingez_123

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

• Contributor
  • 14,310 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 10:03 PM

Same spot as the factory reservoir.

The OEM res is on the mc.

#18 livingez_123

livingez_123

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

• Contributor
  • 14,310 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 10:04 PM

Couple sheet metal screws in the firewall just above the slave cylinder. The hose isn’t that long so you don’t have a lot of options. If I get a chance I can take a picture of mine as I had to do the same.

Kind of what I was thinking

#19 Austin The DieselTech

Austin The DieselTech
  • Members
  • 2,217 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 06:05 AM

The OEM res is on the mc.

Ahhh sorry. I was thinking of a 2nd gen.

#20 livingez_123

livingez_123

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

• Contributor
  • 14,310 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 08:04 PM

Well, you know things are bad when you pull the trans back from the engine and parts start to fall out! Springs and bits of springs what a mess. Flywheel surfaced tomorrow and a new clutch pivot and fork being picked up along with a new rear main seal from Cummins. I don't have much time in this right now, maybe 2hrs, the joys of a 2wd.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users