Sign in to follow this  
skyking

Tacoma to south central Califorinia and back

Heading down on Friday as far as San Lucas on 101, and back. empty truck bed under the 5th wheel trailer, some space inside the trailer, some in the storage. It's a short bed slider, so not a whole lot of room but clear across the front to about 16" back, and about the same at the tailgate for sure.

what the heck would cause you to go to that lil bitty place ... almost a ghost town these days , got family there ?

since Fort Ord closed down there isn't much to keep folks alive and those that are there have to drive to King City for work . when I lived in Salinas [late 70's to early 80;s] I was a Snap On tool dealer and my territory was from southern Salinas to San Ardo .. a very long territory for a Snap On dealer. only stopped in San Lucas about once a month for a farm account. nothing else there.

Know exactly where its at 🤓

Safe travels my friend , assume down 5 and cut over at one of the many cut overs , hear they had filled a few of the chuck holes but watch out there are some big ones below Stockton and south. Trailer axle eating ones.

Safe travels Kelly. Don't run over any liberals while down there. On second thought.... :right:

IMHO BEST PLACE. To cut across is 580 just south of Stockton / by Tracy

Then 580 West to 680 south towards San Jose then , grab 101 in San Jose

Sorry you probably know all that crapola lol

Edited by GTroyer

doesn't rally matter these days ALL the freeways are jammed up , your good window is before 4AM-6 through it and out the other side or wait to 10 to 2 and blow through or after 7PM any other time will be similar to I-5 up there through Seattle

or continue south on I-5 to Hwy 152 at Los Banos and cut west over to 101 .. that is a busy one these days also as folks live out in the San Juaquin valley and work in San Jose and use that route

really isn't a "fast" way to cut over anymore remember the traffic goes west in the AM and east in the PM .. and 680 is busy both ways most of the time , 101 is north in the AM and south in the PM but still busy most times

heck if ya can lay low in Tracy until 7 PM and travel it at night LOL

Edited by GTroyer

Travel at night and nasty potholes don't really mix. I was thinking of just staying on 5 till I got south of the San Jose mess. Cut across to Hollister on 152 as you suggested, early afternoon.

bout an hour + to use that cut over .... but probably similar time v/s doing the tracy 120/580 route slower speeds.

at least that route is still something to look at , all farm v/s all town and you can wave to my friends who farm n own Almond and Apricot land in Patterson lol

SAFE TRAVELS any way you go !!!!

Edited by GTroyer

Changing over to my Michelins on alloys, inspecting brakes, etc. We are planning to leave at noon-ish and first night is Astoria to see friends. We will probably run 101 on down to California, and get on the 5 somewhere down there. I was thinking maybe the 36 out of Fortuna.

We might go east to Yosemite, or come back on as much of highway 1 as we can. Might wander down to Morro Bay too. It's a free-form trip.

We'd both like to take the skunk train at Leggett on the way back.

Parts of the 1 are not so much fun towing, I hear. I have no issues with it, but my bride might disagree and getting back on 101 is an even wicked-er road from what I hear.

My rig with the short wheelbase, slider hitch, and 28' 5th wheel can turn around in surprisingly little room and having 2wd low makes that even nicer.

Just south of San Jose west of Hwy 101 is Mt Madonna County Park. Very nice campground. Road from the east is not too bad, going west from the park towards Hwy 1 is no fun. Enjoy your trip!

Doug

Suggest u stay away from Yosemite, we getting hit with a good winter storm Plenty of snow there as well as Reno this whole next week and this weekend Kelly

Skunk train is fun n relaxing very pretty views along the route .. getting on in Willits ?

Ft Bragg is a nice lil community at the west end of the train route.

I dont recommend 36 for towing , go further south to Hwy 20 through lake county better drive ( although not as scenic )

If you have time and budget while in Morro Bay go to Hurst Cassle .. well worth the visit and a destination visit .. a all day place ! Several different tours there take as many as you can ( not cheep either ) look on line about it.

Oh the route back to 101 from Ft Bragg ( northern route) is a snake . Your trailer length would be ok but still a snake.

We kept the pedal down yesterday and got to Lockwood before 5. That storm is going to keep us away from the mountains, and probably the big Sur area too. With all the fire burns, highway 1 stands a good chance of getting closed with mudslides. Heading out to build some fence in a few.

101 through Oregon is pretty consistent for me. The 12 valve got 12 mpg doing the ups and downs and all overs, and the 3rd gen did about the same.

We are back home after a great run in some typical spring weather. The last leg home, we decided to run by Camp 18. We had heard about taking a bombavoy up there, and I had never been. Wow, that is really a fantastic venue! I went down to the banquet room and took in all the pictures, and we walked about half of the outside displays. After that we took the backroads down to Clatskanie, through Mist. That was a nice drive with the trailer nothbound, but it looked less nice going the other way. The Nehalem river valley is quite beautiful.