Sign in to follow this  
carl20320

2006 tach fix!!! It worked!

For a couple years, my truck has been showing it is idling at 200rpm. I can do 60mph at 1000 rpm but by the time I get to 70 mph, I'm at 2000rpm. I've known I've had the dreaded PCB failure that was the results of Dodge's poor design team didn't make the supports for the instrument cluster PCB all the same height.

Anyway, Was over at Ben's on Saturday having some very much needed suspension work done on my son's (wife's old car) 1994 Acura. Keep in mind, the wife has had this car longer than me. She picked it up new in September 1993. I had picked up a set of shock/struts for all 4 corners and the c/v axles. While Ben and Ivan were working on that, to stay out of their way, I started pulling my dash. Once Ben & I finally figured out where the 2 hidden screws were that were keeping me from getting the radio bezel out, I drove it home half disassembled. Yesterday, I pulled the cluster, re-flowed the solder joints on the two culprit ICs, changed all the light bulbs in the dash and heater controls, then reassembled following a run through the dishwasher of the dash parts for a through cleaning. FYI, I did not run the instrument cluster through the dishwasher. :P

Plugged it in, and low and behold, the truck now idles at 750 rpm. OK, it now says it idles at 750 rpm. Made two shims from folded over electrical tape for the two offending short supports and put it all back together. All parts of my dash now light up, I can see my heater controls without having to turn an interior light on at night, AND the truck shows it is idling at the correct rpm.

Today, I will finish all the interior cleaning before going to Rip's for a little tranny transmission (don't like the way that looked OR sounded) maintenance.

Today, I'll finish the cleaning, do a little more maintenance, then see what other trouble I can get myself into on my two days off. B)

If anyone else has this issue, it is a really easy fix once the instrument cluster is out. It is just a little detailed solder work with a steady hand. Be happy to do it for anyone or talk you through it if you want to do it yourself.

Edited by carl20320
  • Like 1

Good job

Not Ivan from BC but son Ivan right

Good job

Not Ivan from BC but son Ivan right

Correct, son Ivan.

That dash is a total PITA. If it were a 03-05 dash, that job would have been done a week ago. LOL!

Thank you youtube!

Nice! Congrats on the fix. I didn't realize there was a big difference between the 05 and 06 dashes.

Nice! Congrats on the fix. I didn't realize there was a big difference between the 05 and 06 dashes.

I didn’t either, but they are VERY different.

Might just be the automatic thing that complicates it (?).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk