Sign in to follow this  
Mudinchev

HELP!! The Belt Squeal that just wont go away!

Been forever since I have been here.....too long actually.

Ok here is the story, My 05 has developed a belt squeal that I cant seem to get rid of. It always has seemed to go threw tensioners and belts more than I think it should be there is something going on that I cant figure out. I am on my 4th tensioner and 3rd belt in the last 2 months, After the first tensioner belt swap the squeak was back in a week so I thought maybe it was a water pump even though it was fairly new, and the idler on the top above the fan had some slop so I replaced both, the fan bearing felt really good so I left it alone. I assumed it had to be something that ran on the back of the belt because a few drops of water would quiet it down until it dried. Still squealed so I took the tensioner back and got it replaced, squeal went away, thought I had it fixed. Week later it came back so I got a better belt and a 3rd tensioner and once again it only lasted about a week. I went and bought a cummins (dayco) tensioner and that seemed to fix the problem for about a week so I went and bought a mopar belt thinking maybe that would help, after a day the squeal was back. Last thing to try was to replace the fan bearing knowing it will probably not fix the problem but its the last thing that the back of the belt rides on and as expected it did not help. The alternator bearings seem a little noisy but it still feels smooth and no end play, the AC pump bearing is probably the noisiest, the PS pump was replaced about 30k miles ago when I rebuilt the front end and steering system. The fan clutch still feels smooth but its my next thought to replace because it seems like the noise is coming from the fan pulley.

Any thoughts or ideas?

got a straight edge to check what Dave is suggesting ?? square stock , angle iron something straight to lay across check each pulley and pulley to pulley .. you know the drill

good to see ya BTW

Scott one way to determine which pulley is making the noise is to squirt a small amount of water on each pulley one at a time and the noise will stop when you hit the right one.

Like Dave said it very will could be pulley alignment that causes it to reoccur.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Have you replaced the tensioner or just the pulley? The spring may be weak letting belt slip only idea I have

After checking the alignment, install a gator back belt. Think they are Goodyear.

Personally (and I've had at least 4 different Serpentine belts on my Ram), the Goodyear GatorBack is the only one I removed within 1-month! It started squeaking within a week or two. I removed it and gave it away to some interested BOMBer at a get together and then purchased another Dayco belt which worked like all the others, QUIETLY.

As suggested, it would seem as though you might have an alignment issue. I would suspect that you have a weak belt tensioner as well.

• Like 1

there are 2 different locations for the tensioner.if by chance its on the wrong one the belt may not get tight enough..

I will start checking alignment next chance I get, each time the tensioner was replaced as a unit not just bearing. What ever is causing it is making the back (smooth) side of the belt hot, when its warm it gets almost sticky/tacky. I only remember seeing one hole for the alignment stud to fit into and I rocked it all the way to one side to get as much tension out of it that I can but that is an easy thing to double check. I think the first place to look will be the PS pump, that was the most recent thing replaced but with the quality of aftermarket parts these days that is a good possibility. Especially since the fan pulley is next in line and that is where the noise is coming from. Thanks for the input I will let you guys know what I find.

could it be the A/C compressor when engaged?

No becasue just a few drops of water on the back of the belt quiet it down for a few seconds, the extra drag it puts on the system changes the tone but I don't think its causing the sequel. I checked the PS pump pulley with a straight edge and it looks darn near perfect, I will have to pull the fan shroud again so I can get at the the rest of it.......Im sure it will be something simple/stupid when I find it but a stick of dynamite and a new truck payment is looking better and better all the time.