• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 DBCooper

DBCooper
  • Members
  • 297 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 07:55 PM

Guys, looking for input. 

Current set up is stock lift pump on back of housing, Baldwin PF7977 in stock housing, then through a Donaldson P551313 prior to the CP3. Been running this for the past number of years and it's fine, just looking to get away from the stock lift pump. 

I'm leaning towards the Fuel Boss, as it seems a more straight forward set up, but thought I'd ask for input here. I've heard the FASS pumps are loud. Can it be heard over the engine at idle? 

Thanks 

Dan

#2 Fishin2Deep4U

Fishin2Deep4U

The PUPPET MASTER

• Vendors
  • 9,128 posts
  • Interests:You mean there's anything other than hunting an fishing? Surely you jest!

Posted 04 March 2018 - 08:14 PM

I am a mechanical pump kinda guy.

But I have been told that FASS and AIRDOG have made some advances in the motor design. Mostly hear more good about Airdog.

That said, I personally still protect a mechanical pump if possible.

Dave

#3 Torque Monkey

Torque Monkey

There is only one way to find out....

• Moderators
  • 12,572 posts
  • Interests:Just about any type of fabrication.. the crazier the better...

Posted 04 March 2018 - 10:15 PM

I have had an AirDog on my truck for the last 8 years with zero issues ( knock on wood) I have always preferred AirDog sine they used to be a little less pricey. We never really sold FASS at the shop as they wanted us to sign a contract that said we wouldn’t sell any other system but FASS. Just out of spite we stopped selling them mostly for that reason. However, I have seen an even number of issues with both systems on trucks. I like the mechanical set up. Just never really need one.

#4 SMOKN05

SMOKN05

to those who know this it is Holy!

• Contributor
  • 10,763 posts
  • Interests:Anything with a turbo, the bigger the better.

Posted 05 March 2018 - 12:09 AM

Well, I run a mechanical pump and also the factory intank electric pump, a Baldwin filter in the stock housing plus a Cat 2 micron before the cp3. Oh, and a fuel pressure regulator with separate return to the tank. I've messed with this system more than I care to think about and it's still not perfect. Maybe I'm getting older, lazier, wiser, who knows but my line of thinking now would be keep it stock with a 2 micron added then carry a spare pump to change if/when it breaks. I'm not really sure if all my effort, time and money spent was worth it.

#5 SMOKN05

SMOKN05

to those who know this it is Holy!

• Contributor
  • 10,763 posts
  • Interests:Anything with a turbo, the bigger the better.

Posted 05 March 2018 - 12:13 AM

I forgot to add, if you replace the electric pump with just a mechanical one you won't be able to prime the system after a drain/filter change. I used a drill to prime mine before I put the intank pump back in the system. The mechanical pump was not able to draw fuel from the tank at just cranking rpm.

#6 Shady

Shady
  • Contributor
  • 3,178 posts
  • Interests:Traveling to/Retiring in Mexico, Aircraft, Sea Kayaking, Hiking

Posted 05 March 2018 - 01:52 AM

Here's my experience with after market lift pumps:

I put an airdog on my 99 shortly after I bought the truck (The stock lift pump had died). I ran it for 8 years and it never gave me a problem. I did have to swap out a spring to lower the fuel pressure a bit as it actually ran a little higher than I wanted.

On two different occasions I had problems with my fuel pressure readings on the gauge dropping, but both times it turned out to be a failed isolator. After the second failure I switched to a different style/brand of isolator and had no further issues while I owned that truck.

As far as noise? it was never loud enough for me to hear in the cab with the engine running. I could (barely) hear it run while waiting for the grid heater, before the engine started.
WTBS, I do wear hearing aids... :)

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

#7 GTroyer

GTroyer

Bigger than a Grizz, Gentler than a lamb!

• Contributor
  • 22,827 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 06:45 AM

also Scott the years 98.5-02 VP trucks were the noisiest year injector pumps and therefore engines  ... you can stand near the years 98.5 to 2002 and tell almost what year they are by engine noise I believe 2001 and 02 are the two most noisy ... so it's no wonder you couldn't hear the air dog  LOL

I too am mechanical so I can't help you as you don't have the boss for a 12 Valve lift pump like I use. In order for you to have a mechanical you'd have to do one of the belt driven type and I don't remember if they are still available or who made them sorry no help

Edited by GTroyer, 05 March 2018 - 06:48 AM.

#8 Scotty_

Scotty_
  • Contributor
  • 3,753 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 07:41 AM

Airdog would last on average 4-5 months or 50k miles for me.
They kept sending me warranty replacements. Ran fuel conditioners all the time too. Plus pre and post filtration.

Im at 203,000 miles with factory pump on my 16.
I do know that this will eventually get addressed. I might go with dealer stock replacement as they offer two yr unlimited mileage warranty North America coverage.

#9 Austin The DieselTech

Austin The DieselTech
  • Members
  • 2,287 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 10:56 AM

I am running the original Airdog 150 that I bought new in 2008 and it has been on 2 different trucks. I also have been running the 40PSI spring for most of that time.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Edited by Austin The DieselTech, 05 March 2018 - 11:01 AM.

#10 Austin The DieselTech

Austin The DieselTech
  • Members
  • 2,287 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 11:02 AM

Also, I had a friend install one on his 2001 and it worked great for him but be aware that you can split the pump housing if you overtighten the fittings. He found out the hard way.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

#11 GTroyer

GTroyer

Bigger than a Grizz, Gentler than a lamb!

• Contributor
  • 22,827 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 12:02 PM

Scotty is the most mile user I believe we have , IMHO his truck iS THE test dummy lol

#12 marksmith

marksmith
  • Members
  • 7,942 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fishing, camping. ┬áThat sort of stuff

Posted 05 March 2018 - 01:14 PM

Airdog. Get the fp150 (original design) or the newest model (something something 4g)

FASS Titanium 150 if you go that route.

Cut the plugs off and solder the connection to the pump on both units. If you are running high pressure (Im running 75psi), expect to replace either unit at least once every other year.

#13 rubystargoats

rubystargoats
  • Members
  • 3,168 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycle racing, Firearms, water sports, BOMBing

Posted 05 March 2018 - 04:47 PM

Scotty is the most mile user I believe we have , IMHO his truck iS THE test dummy lol

Just his truck?????? :ph34r:

#14 Scotty_

Scotty_
  • Contributor
  • 3,753 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 05:56 PM

I resemble some of that

#15 DBCooper

DBCooper
  • Members
  • 297 posts

Posted 31 March 2018 - 09:37 AM

Guys, thanks for the input. I'll let ya'll know what I end up doing. 

#16 leadfoot067

leadfoot067
  • Vendors
  • 1,061 posts
  • Interests:wheeling,going fast,camping,fishing,family

Posted 31 March 2018 - 09:36 PM

don (the guy that bought Rips 2012 dually) the truck had 2800 miles on it when he bought it and it had an air dog..it failed last october with a little more than 10k on the clock....it has a FASS now..

#17 megacabcummins

megacabcummins

Everything feels almost new when you start over....

• Members
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 02:21 PM

I have about 120K on my Airdog, zero issues. I had about 150K on my FASS in my Ford, zero issues. Only complaint was the FASS was a bit loud, but the newer ones are quieter. 

#18 leadfoot067

leadfoot067
  • Vendors
  • 1,061 posts
  • Interests:wheeling,going fast,camping,fishing,family

Posted 01 April 2018 - 07:25 PM

i really think its a crapshoot with an aftermarket setup..just spend all that money and hope you you get one that lasts....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users