So I've found a low mile 02 5.9 bus engine that I'm thinking about buying to put in my 01 truck. I know I'll have to swap accessory drive items, power steering/vacuum pump, injection pump and lines, exhaust and intake manifolds, ECM, and make sure the cam has the proper gear for the 01-02 cam sensor. May have to swap front cover and cam if it doesn't have the correct gear.

Is there anything else about these commercial engines that may be an issue that I'm missing?

If you get to the cam, out a Colt big Stick in there. That's all I got. :)

I've certainly been contemplating that :lol:

i have a 01-02 gear housing

I'm hoping I can use the one that is on the engine in the truck. If for some reason it doesn't work out that way I will let you know. Thanks!

Oh, and I picked up the bus engine yesterday. It looks good. Guy said he had it pulled from the bus after he ran and drove it. Said it had 65k on it when pulled a couple months ago. I will have to change the cam and front cover though as it doesn't have the correct gear for the 01-02 cam sensor.

Does it have a compressor in place if the vacuum pump?

It did, I pulled it already. Know someone looking for one?

It did, I pulled it already. Know someone looking for one?

I know a Guy.... :lol:

I know a Guy.... :lol:

I'm sure we can work something out :) I'll send you a pic of it while it was still on the engine.

Cool! We can certainly work something out!

When I used a 56 series block from a freight liner the oil cooler used different filter. all looked the same until the oil filter didnt fit and I found it now cost me 3x as much. and turbo was different but I didn't use it. also make sure you have a crank case vent! You should be able to find out how the pistons and compression ratios very from a pickup engine by the cpl number.

just go to quickserveonline input the engine serial number and you should be able to find specs

• Like 1

I've tried quickserve a few times with this engine number and I don't get much info. I just called Cummins NW with the number, they told me it is a 16.5:1 engine. Thank you for the heads up on the oil filter housing, I will certainly look into that!

On 4/15/2018 at 12:40 PM, Smokn Bio said:

When I used a 56 series block from a freight liner the oil cooler used different filter. all looked the same until the oil filter didnt fit and I found it now cost me 3x as much. and turbo was different but I didn't use it. also make sure you have a crank case vent! You should be able to find out how the pistons and compression ratios very from a pickup engine by the cpl number.

Thanks for pointing this out. I checked the housings the other day and they are different. I'm going to swap them out. I've got a new oil cooler I'm going to throw in as well.