Word of advice. Do not use the exhaust brake on a 6.7 in slush. Charlene and the oldest were driving into town with the exhaust brake on and let off the throttle to slow down for a slushy spot in the road. The rear of the truck kicked sideways and off into the ditch it went. Truck has some cosmetic damage that I can see but I am waiting for the adjuster to call me tomorrow. She feels horrible but like I told her, it was a valuable lesson.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Edited by Austin The DieselTech

Yup. Exhaust brakes and slick roads are a bad idea.

Hope theyre all ok

Yup. Exhaust brakes and slick roads are a bad idea.

Hope theyre all ok

Yea and she admitted that she spaced it. She has been so used to turning it on to prevent the turbo from sooting up and sticking that it is habit. The bed has a large dent and the grill guard bracket bent which allowed it to push the front quater panel in just behind the headlight. Also, the hood is not sitting square anymore which has me concerned.

glad all are safe and well , truck as you say can be fixed ..... everyone who has a exhaust brake learns that lesson if the live in foul weather climates , usually not costing $$ thank God

glad all are safe and well , truck as you say can be fixed ..... everyone who has a exhaust brake learns that lesson if the live in foul weather climates , usually not costing $$ thank God

Yup, I had a learning moment when I thought the roads were ok but I found out that they were not. Luckily I just pressed on the go pedal slightly to kick the exhaust brake and the truck straitened out.

Yup, I had a learning moment when I thought the roads were ok but I found out that they were not. Luckily I just pressed on the go pedal slightly to kick the exhaust brake and the truck straitened out.

I changed mine from micro switch to manual two speed axle switch, so I can react instantly ,,, my micro switch kept getting dirty from the sandy roads and maybe worked and maybe not.

on edit .. mine is either on or off by the switch , no waiting either way ...... funny once in a while it gets smokey for those behind when I forget to turn it off

Edited by GTroyer

I changed mine from micro switch to manual two speed axle switch, so I can react instantly ,,, my micro switch kept getting dirty from the sandy roads and maybe worked and maybe not.

I have a button on the dash above the HVAC control close to the column shifter.

I've had mine kick me sideways a couple times in 2wd. I used it in 4wd the other day coming back from Bend on the ice, it worked great in 4wd at the slow speeds everyone was going.

Mine has done that a couple times. Scary to say the least. Glad everyone is OK.

It happens, at least no one got hurt.

Coming down Steven pass the other day with the trailer it was snow covered roads. I left it in 4wd so I could use the exhaust break with spinning it around. I also had the trailer brakes backed off on the controller so if I touched the brakes the trailer wouldnt try to pass me.

Ive had to shut off the brake many times and have had to react quick with hitting neutral as well when back wheels lock up on ice from the torque slowing down.

And yes the trailer brakes can influence lots in slippery conditions too.

My scariest experience was in 4x4 towing and climbing a hill and hit black ice with the hard Toyo M-55s.

Talk about some side to side all over the road whoa Nelly fast but careful reacting. The trailer wanted to come around three times while I hit neutral and steered out of it with the trailer brakes turned way down, all within seconds.

Austin, glad to hear everyone is ok 👌

U-m-m-m. I don't usually use the exhaust brake day to day. Only when in the mountains. Usually not towing anything, anymore, anyway. BUT, lesson noted. Thanks to Ben, it's on a switch.

Edited by NWDave

Here are some pictures of the aftermath. The couple things that concern me is that the hood is not square and the tow hooks where the grill guard mounts look like they are shifted and pointing to the driver side. The oldest ended up with a knot on her head and her right shoulder is very sore from being thrown into the door when it hit. The chore has been convincing her she needs to go to the doctor but she is at the "I am 18 and I know it all" stage. So, I put in a call to the backup (grandpa) who is a trained EMT to try and see if he can make it sink in.43a944982f0a838a41f00f13bfd781fe.jpg233dc9e2ab71405bb62f2df860a9b227.jpge375f90f802e3480c57f95c7b3aecd57.jpg1e72731faad94c142ff4a455bda30387.jpg1bdf159bdd962fd9a42b7b50d8854ac3.jpg970bfdde25bf300e3bc9555d5d523037.jpg7e438e27a6f165c37a6dec42bf049149.jpga7b0519ac2dd7c580818872c4582c5e9.jpg

Good job Grandpa... That's a shame about the truck. that brush guard really moved. Sorry Austin! :(

Glad to hear that, I'm hoping she will be fine and its just bumps and bruises. The truck on the other hand, I have the same concerns as you after seeing those pics. Really sucks, hopefully its less than the eyes are telling us.

amazing the bull bar flex that much. I hit a 6 foot plus tall kanagroo in then outback and with ARB aluminum bull bar it dent the hood with it head and bend the bar, no real body damage, it held up good. the problem now is the Australian government make the bull bar standards light so when hit a pedestrian you don't break their legs.

I believe you may have shifted the core support toward the drivers side. I doubt frame damage.

on our ARB bar on the FJ Cruiser, I bought it used, and it was missing the two hidden frame mounts. found them on line for 36 dollars each. I suspect that the bull bar is bent, I had to elongate the mounting holes in the the used ARB we installed on Gill FJ Cruiser to get it all to line up. Good luck

I have no faith in bull bars , IMHO they are "wanna be's" ... and in a wreck will do more harm to your rig than good suggest a real bumper to replace again MHO here

Wow, glad to hear everyone is OK and getting looked at at least. I hope the truck turns out to be less damage than what you fear.

I have no faith in bull bars , IMHO they are "wanna be's" ... and in a wreck will do more harm to your rig than good suggest a real bumper to replace again MHO here

Buck Stop saved my bacon

Snow and exhaust brakes don’t mix. On my first trip with the Kenworth last year ,I got the 53 footer at a good 45 degrees half jackknife. When I forgot I had the jake on full setting. Switched it to low and stopped at first pullout to check my shorts..

Scared the crapola out of me.. Glad the wife hasn’t with me as planned.

Glad your lovely lady and oldest are ok.. That my friend is the most important!

The truck means squat next to Them!

• Like 1