Ok, I have seen this on other rv's where the roof bows up between the roof trusses it like the plywood under is expanding and bubbling up. Today I went up and swept off the 6" of snow and noticed my roof is doing this. It was flat this summer when I was up there many times. Now it's probably 2-3" higher between the roof trusses. It's like a balloon. My thoughts are the wood is soaking up with moisture and expanding and then contracting in the summer. Is this wishful thinking or is it time for a new roof?

I have no signs of water intrusion in my trailer... anywhere.

My ceiling is solid with no stains of any kind, unless you count the blood splatter and that's another story all together!

the rubber membrane to replace is very $$$$ expensive sure hope you find that is not needed , but by what you say doubtful

sure does need investigating further though . at the least when it's dry a real sharp inspection and re-seal of all intrusion area's [vents , air condition etc.]

Is it unusually cold? Maybe the structure/frame is shrinking and getting a bit shorter due to the cold and the roof stays warmer and has no place to go so it buckles.

Edited by Woodenhead

Is it unusually cold? Maybe the structure/frame is shrinking and getting a bit shorter due to the cold and the roof stays warmer and has no place to go so it buckles.

That's a real good thought, it has been very cold and snow is still falling.

the rubber membrane to replace is very $$$$ expensive sure hope you find that is not needed , but by what you say doubtful

sure does need investigating further though . at the least when it's dry a real sharp inspection and re-seal of all intrusion area's [vents , air condition etc.]

Dicor is my friend!

A new roof isn't too bad, 8 sheets of good plywood, structural adhesive, screws, glue,and the $700 new rubber roof plus all the misc little BS stuff. I figure a week by myself and with help a couple of days.

The only place that concerns me is around the AC unit. But like I said there are no signs of water intrusion.

Condensation ? cold roof with moisture getting up to the plywood and condensing? All that moisture you generate breathing, washing, cooking, etc. has to go somewhere.

Edited by rubystargoats

Condensation ? cold roof with moisture getting up to the plywood and condensing? All that moisture you generate breathing, washing, cooking, etc. has to go somewhere.

I always have one of my roof vents open and I run my dehumidifier 12hrs a day. But there isn't enough insulation in the roof to do much good. If I do pull the roof this summer I plan on spray foaming every sq in, not only will that help with the cold but it will keep my AC ducting from the heat.

To bad you cant order them that way from the factory , many of us would pay up immediately at purchas order time !!

I would watch it but wouldnt worry about it a whole lot yet. In some cases they lay down some thin sheeting on the very top to provide a smooth surface for the rubber roof to lay on. I might be that bubbling up with the cold a bit. If everything lays back down when it warms up, your probably just fine. I go around the outside of my trailer at least once a year with marine silicone to make sure everything gets sealed. Lived in an RV for 5 years with very few problems.

is it easier to get some roof truss and build a shelter over it. thatt keep the winter snow/cold and the summer sun off the roof. Your there for the long haul. I can watch Craigslist for you., maybe a carport cover at the same time.

Edited by Packards42